Malarik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Astrophotography, examples of stellar objects please, techniques, & more.

Hello all,

One of my sub-hobbies in photography is the challenging field of Astrophotography.  In the past [or now, if you want to do dim deep space objects], you needed tons of money

and tons of equipment....such as 100lb Telescope with a tracking mount!

Fortunately for me,  I lucked upon buying a Pentax K-5 a number of years ago & sort of knew that you could attach a so-called Astrotracker on the hot-shoe.  The newer

top of the line Pentax's that I have already integrate this into the body [e.g. the Pentax K-1 Full-format].  Anyway, they came up with the idea of using the input of the GPS, 

plus some fancy calculations to enable to counter-rotate the mirror to compensate for the distorting earths rotation.....thus the mirror and sensor array becomes almost stationary

with respect to the sky within certain limits, for intervals up to many minutes.  This allows one to keep the shutter open for many seconds or minutes as it stays pointed at

lets say the almost over-head Andromeda Galaxy.  

While it is a challenge to see it even with wide field binoculars with the ample town light pollution & other factors, once you

get it in focus on a Pentax with a 300mm lens on a tripod, and the conditions are great, you can see the most amazing things...that were once invisible to the naked eye!

The learning curve to do this requires many dozens of hours of practice, learning, patience, and lucky sky conditions.  

Even on a clear moonless night, if you see stars going

twinkle twinkle...little star....you are so out of luck.  Any significant wind at any altitude, will bend the light and frustrate your best attempts.  There are lots of other variables 

to consider....so it is no wonder that few have success with this method.  Fortunately for me, the conditions on my Porch in town, right near the Ocean are sometimes OK.

One of these days, I will again try to go to a remote light free area to try again....but it will be brief since there would be no bathroom, nor snacks, and my body cannot take

the rigors of serious camping....and I am lazy 🙂

Anyway,  I going to repost some of my pics.  Most are taken with up to a 300mm lens, are digitally zoomed in, & have some post processing done to enhance visibility/ beauty.

The moon technique is yet another ballgame & since it moves too, Astrotrack is not used.  It is also so bright that even 1/125 of a second is adequate.

I would love your feedback, as well as, your attempts at this challenging hobby.

I often do not know where to post these pics, but since I live one block from a small beach park, 

I do post some there.  It is funny that with Andromeda being millions of light years away, it is our closest galactic neighbor.....and one day it will collide with our Milky Way Galaxy.

Andromeda also has the distinction of occupy a field of view that is as wide as a few moons, so it is a great candidate to see..but with most binoculars & with light pollution, it only

looks like a smear of light.

Orion NebulaOrion Nebula

Andromeda Galaxy with SatellitesAndromeda Galaxy with Satellites

Moon- 1/125sec. 300mmMoon- 1/125sec. 300mm

Jupiter & Moons 300mmJupiter & Moons 300mm

Shell Beach, Pismo Beach, CA, United States
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Astrophotography, examples of stellar objects please, techniques, & more.

Hey @Malarik,

Once again a great topic full of useful information!

The pictures you posted are great!

Is making such pictures hard to take in a big city?

I have always thought that the smog over the city makes the sky not as clear to see as in the mountain for example.

By the way, I have moved your topic to the Photography board.
It will attract the attention of the hobbyists.

Thanks!

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Malarik

Thanks a lot for sharing. Really a stellar topic ;). Andromeda constellation has stimulated human imagination since ancient times in many ways - and being able to catch the moon and stars on your photos is an amazing hobby! 

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 9

Hi, Thanks for the interest.  Indeed, it is difficult, if not impossible, to take acceptable Astropics in a city.  Smog, along with the light

pollution, would like make it near impossible.  Fortunately, I live in an small town area, that is on a thin strip of land right next to the

ocean...so nearly zero smog, but variable moisture which is yet another problem.  The light population due to a low population is

not to bad here.  The biggest variable here is the atmospheric conditions, such as wind, , moist, clouds, moon light pollution, & more.

There are dramatically shrinking areas that have little to no light pollution...and fortunately they are around 40+ miles from here...but

are in the middle of nowhere...thus no bathroom, food, facilities.  I did try to compromise at the Ragged Point Inn, which is South of

Big Sur, but the hotels lights were a problem as well as the Ocean moisture after dark.

Fortunately, the characteristics of the Pentax K-3 or K-1, along with most peoples tripod & lens that goes up to 300mm can make

an Astrophotographer out of anyone.... it just takes practice & patience.  The learning curve is rather steep....but is you are looking for

a top DSLR that costs far less than the name brands, yet does so much more...Pentax is best.  None of my shots, except for the moon,

would be possible without the light amplification properties of the Astrotrack feature.  I highly recommend it.  There are lots of other

features that I have yet to use much...such as Pixel shift.

Thanks for the questions & interest.

-Paul:)