ele's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

Are we contributing to the right platform? Is Google Maps winning with users? The threat of Facebook

Apple tried to enter the maps market. TripAdvisor dominated the "place ratings" field for a while. Facebook is entering the field as well, in an aggressive way (I get notifications from them anytime they sense I am in a new place to confirm information, or rate the place). 

As Local Guides, we want a stable growing platform, that will yield a return on our investment of time. Think of the folks that wrote reviews on TripAdvisor for the last 5 years, just to see that platform strategy being changed from an advertiser to a seller of bookings. No one want to be associated suddenly with the a place that sells hotel rooms, and their reviews monetized that way. 

So, is the Google Maps winning with users? They are definitely winning in US - below the Comscores and the substantial growth in the Google Map user share between januaru 2016 and June 2017 (last data available).

If there are two companies that are definitely winning in this field, these are Facebook and Google. They will soon clash on the "local" war - maps, rating, photos, VR. The good news - Google Maps is a solid, growing platform. 

google-maps-increase.png 

15 comments
Level 9

Re: Are we contributing to the right platform? Is Google Maps winning with users? The threat of Face

@ele Does anyone use bing maps. I just checked and the best feature they had now has gone away.  In New England, they bird's eye view had maps taken with the leaves off the trees so you could see more detail now that is gone. I do not see another close competitor soon.  Googles data is just way ahead of the others

Level 10

Re: Are we contributing to the right platform? Is Google Maps winning with users? The threat of Face

Well, I am one of those who completely disabled FB on my mobile (I cannot uninstall it as it's pre-installed with the OS) but use GMaps a lot. 🙂

Level 9

nice topic @ele 🙂

of course we are contributing to the right platform ,  i use google maps for more than 10 years now , with the ability to add photos and reviews by us as a local guides and we edit the map every day we will make the best accurate map on the earth , second when i search about place i use google search then the the results came with ratings location ( with live traffic) and simple call button that easily i click and call that place , pretty simple , and when i teach it to anybody they like it 

look to the map as a part of google products which make our daily life much easier than before in my opinion with respect to all opinions google maps are much easier and have more features , even when you are riding your car say okay google search .... then call ...or get the direction with the less traffic route 🙂

after finish give rating write review add photos plus google save your visit on your timeline 🙂

I Love Google Products specially Maps 🙂

Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for the kind replies @OSAMA @Csaba @davidcox. You always have thoughtful comments. 

Google Maps is indeed winning with the users, proof that it's market share on the mobile increased by 10%, despite heavy investment from Apple and Facebook.

TripAdvisor is fading away with their new strategy of competing with their advertisers, where most likely Yelp will be acquired by Apple, Amazon or Facebook to kick start their local guide efforts. My bet is on Amazon. 

I would love your thoughts on how will Google Maps look like in 10 years from now. I've tried my hand via "A day in the life" in It's January 2028? How will the Google Maps look like in ten years?

Level 10

Hi @ele, I think one of the disadvantages of Yelp or TripAdvisor is that they failed to really go international - unlike (fortunately) Google has been able to (and not only Maps - but now we are discussing this). 

Let's face it; though the US market is one of the biggest slices of the cake, the "rest of the World" (as it's called over there) altogether is much bigger. Not only geographically but as a market, too.

Level 10

Reading all comments I found one good indication from @Csaba i.e.  (and not only Maps - but now we are discussing this).

The platform for users to discuss about their contributions and other issues with organization wins the heart and thus creates willingness.

Increased google pls communities and their activities are example of it. 🙂

Level 10

Yes @ele Definitely we are contribution on right platform.

there is no confusion at all because google maps gives best platform to travel using it's google maps service and then local guides write their reviews. 

our reviews are monetized by google team and when some spam users creating fake reviews then other users can flag that users and reviews.

Thank You

Happy Mapping & Keep Contributing 🙂

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 9

@Csaba  The other issue with Yelp is they have no trust factor at all. There are issues with Google but Yelp is WAY worse.  The give precedence to bad reviews if you are not paying them. Bad Karma to them.  Hard for them to take over the top spot.

Level 8
Level 8

@Csaba Spot on the international footprint. The big get bigger - difficult to be Yelp or TripAdvisor competing against Google ad generated dollars when scaling across 180 countries.

On the comments and text content side, I find Yelp and TripAdvisor superior on the contributions and ratings - rich content, very large community. This is where Google Maps should amp up with more comprehensive reviews and data points on locations.  

On the photos and 360, and a unifying experience for the user (directions, calls, traffic, ratings), is hard to compete with the Google ecosystem.