Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approving edits

Hello, I think that for the sake of Local Guides and in the interest of Google maps, there should be a more effective method of reviewing edits made by Local Guides, I have been a Local guide for sometime now, and sadly, some edits I made last year and earlier this year haven't been reviewed, I occasionaly get E-mail alerts when a few of them in stacks finally get reviewed. I think the current arrangement with mapmaker where a regional lead or a Google Moderator has to first approve edits before it becomes life, should be re evaluated, many local guides from my part of the country have hundreds of photos of local buisnesses which they can't upload because the place hasnt been approved, it kills morale to add up a place and have to wait for months for a review. 

Enugu, Nigeria
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Approving edits

Hi NkennaA,

I am sure a lot of us Local Guides share your frustration towards time taken for our edits got reviewed, approved and published.

Any idea on how the approaval process can be improved?

In mobile Map, sometimes I got a prompt saying there is a suggested edit for the Place.  Then I can vote to support the edit or not.

I hope this voting mechanism can become the norm for suitable edits.

Level 9

Hi, 

I don't really believe in this system. Not all local guides, users are fully aware of the Map Maker Guidelines and such a system making decisions via randomised input, if implemented I think would destroy the maps. 

To quote an example : http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/14/google-maps-starts-using-crowd-sourcing-verify-suggested-edi..., neither the new, or the old name are acceptable as per the Google Map Maker Naming Guidelines, yet the edit was approved, I think due to many users/Local Guides supporting the new name. 

The current system of community moderation, by means of Regional Leads and reviewers, I feel is the best one currently, as Regional Leads do have extensive knowledge with regards to the guidelines. 

That being said, you don't need to wait months to get your edit reviewed, if your edit is pending for a time greater then a week for Regional Lead approval and a 4-5 weeks for edits that need to be require Google Moderation, you can Create a Review Request on the forum. 

Also, this is purely my observation, but I believe that edits made on the app, or using the website are actually looked at sooner than those that are made on Map Maker for some reason, so Local Guides have an advantage there. Eventually, with enough approved edits, you'll gain enough trust in the system for your edits to be published automatically. 

Thanks. 

Time Lord: Google Maps Top Contributor, Tez Top Contributor
Level 10

Nkenna,

As others have touched on, there is a difference between knowing an area very well, and understanding the review process in MapMaker. Unfortunately there is a very steep learning curve - even very experienced reviewers do not know everything.

Although there is no difference in which edits are seen first by reviewers - Local Guides or MapMaker, if you want to make sure your edit has the best possible chance of getting published, then you would be advised to add some comments via MapMaker, if it is available in your country. As a Regional Lead, I can attest to it being much easier to review an edit where the changes have been explained to me.

Finally, although it has already been requested before, using the suggestions section of this forum to request a comments box for the local guides editor would be a good idea 🙂

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Connect Moderator

@Anonymous I'm guessing your area doesn't have MapMaker? That's the same case in Indonesia. Edits or additions can take months (4 months is my record) before it's getting published. I think it's the fact that MapMaker doesn't exist (thus no Regional Lead) is causing all this. Sorry for stating for the obvious, but my guess is that most of the edits/additions would need to be reviewed manually by Googlers. 

Not sure if you heard, but in the recent update we will be able moderate other people's edits. I think this should speed up the process for places without MapMaker. How effective it will be, we shall soon to find out 🙂

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Moderation-comes-to-Google-Maps-for-Mobile/ba-p/3652

Level 8

So there are a couple of issues here.

MapMaker had to crack down on who can approve edits, hence the Regional Lead introduction, which is good, but of course causes delays.

There are also two sets of Guidelines, which often causes us hugh issues over at the GMB forum. You will often get a business approved on Mapmaker and then suspended via Google My Business.

You must also remember that an Edit you make on a verified busienss, does not go to MapMaker for the final say. The edit get suggested to the business and the owner of the business can either approve or dissaprove the suggested edit, they can also change it back. It all depends when they next log into their dashboard.

Then of course you have local guides thrown into the mix, who may not understand either MapMaker or GMB guidelines and make an edit. Not to mention the amount of spam the local guides platform provided an opportunity for. In the past month I have reported several local guide profiles for suspension over spam.

On a positive note, GMB and MapMaker are trying to align the guidelines that pertain to business listings.

In the mean time, we just need to be a little patient, it will get there.

Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership.
Level 8

@Corrie Please consider to pin this post on the Getting Started.  I find @TimCapper 's post helping a lot to understand the dynamics between Mapmaker, Google My Business, Local Guides regarding Approval of Map edits.

Level 9

Although there is no difference in which edits are seen first by reviewers - Local Guides or MapMaker, if you want to make sure your edit has the best possible chance of getting published, then you would be advised to add some comments via MapMaker, if it is available in your country. As a Regional Lead, I can attest to it being much easier to review an edit where the changes have been explained to me.

@KeithA Thank you for the confirmation. I've always observed edits made on the app get reviewed sooner..... Must be coincidence. Good to know that Map Maker edits are equally respected in the queue.

Finally, although it has already been requested before, using the suggestions section of this forum to request a comments box for the local guides editor would be a good idea 🙂

There is a comment box on the iOS Maps app actually, once filled up, it's prefixed with the text "OTHER:" on the comments box on the edit, in case you weren't already aware.

Not sure about the android app though. 

Thanks again. 

Time Lord: Google Maps Top Contributor, Tez Top Contributor
Level 5

you are right. Actually i am also facing the same issue