DshottDennis's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Any video advice or tips?

I haven't used the new video feature yet.

Just wanted to know of any tips and tricks you can share.

All i know the video maximum time is 30seconds can we upload a shorter video sequence?

Thanks

17 comments
Level 9

Re: Any video advice or tips?

@DshottDennis I as well would like to know something official.  I myself have added audio commentary as I show a little of this and that in those 30 seconds.  Maybe this would be a good board to start some "Best Practices" so here are mine:

• Video Must be less than 30 seconds
  • Add Audio Commentary so the viewer knows why you're showing the video
New WriterNew SolutionistGood FriendSuper Popular| 9 Badges so far! | My Connect Profile | My Contributions
Level 8

This new feature is in the Beta Maps and not released yet.

A Googler assured us more details are coming.

Level 8

Hai @DshottDennis I'm also waiting for the guidelines to upload a video, Because its a beta feature , they will give the tips and tricks only after official release.

Level 9

Greetings

I posted more than a dozen videos, some with 30 seconds others with up to 10 seconds.

I selected historical buildings, a square and a skateboard.

The views are coming up, I'm sharing with and without audio, the questions come next on each place, that's great.

I would like to suggest videos with less than 20 seconds, location information and curiosities.
You can speak the necessary in less than 30 seconds.

Good luck, go ahead.

Level 10

@Somsenater good suggestion with the audio i never thought of explaining about the place in the video.

Are you taking photos and video for each place or using alternative one time video and another time photos?

Level 10

I'm piqued with interest regarding the videos. Of course it will have implications such as taking up additional space in Google Drive/Photos (?) as well as taking thousands of seconds to upload (well, for me it takes about a minute to upload 2MB at home so...)

Where I can see videos flourishing:

• Still, fast-forward videos adorning a historical landmark.
  • Drone footage.
  • Documenting the obscure location of a certain listing (e.g. if their entrance was in some sort of strange maze)
  • The view you would see if you were walking up a mountain.
  • Panoramas and pan-shots.

I think this is like how Facebook, Instagram and other social media are starting to instantly play their images and videos at high quality speeds as one scrolls, like how profile pictures now can be videos and such. Not fun for slow-Internet economies such as suburbian Australia (like actually! My upload speed is roughly 0.085mb/s) or those that have limited data.

Also gotta be careful of really low-quality ones appearing too. We'll see as the feature fleshes out, but I would like to contribute and report my findings over time hehe!

Level 6

Yes you can

Vikash
Level 10

@DshottDennis I would recommend compressing and uploading videos via desktops where you get more computing horsepower.. especially newer machines with h.265 HVEC compression enabled in the processor. Smartphones (especially Androids) are just not that optimized at this stage.

Remember with modern video compression the processing machine do most of the computing work, while machines that consumes the product e.g. smartphones require less resources. So if you want to save bandwidth uploading, use a better machine.

Level 8

For casual user, I guess over 99% of us will only shot using the built-in Camera App of our mobile.

Once the official quality requirement is released, may be we will choose the minimum resolution to reduce data usage.