creativexsolutions's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Any real perks or just a fancy badge?

Hello there,

I try to find the answer but in most of the replies, I found a link to this post --->[ https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6225851]which is really not helpful to understand if there are any real perks like there use to be a free 100 tb storage which was great.  Can anyone help me understand the real motivation why someone should spend their time and earn these badges?

Thanks in advance.

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Any real perks or just a fancy badge?

Hi @creativexsolutions

Welcome to Connect. 

I would like to inform you that people who participate in the program is because they want to be able to help others via the Google Maps platform.

Sometimes, there are perks available and it will vary from time to time and from region to region. It depends on who the Google partners are. There may also be special and/or early access to Google features. You can read more about it on this article Get recognized.

As a reminder, Connect is a a forum to discuss with other Google Maps users who have joined the program of Local Guides. Everyone is welcome here but the forum is not a platform for commercial advertising or self-promotion of any kind.  Please revise our Local Guides Program Rules before posting.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @creativexsolutions

Welcome to Connect. 

I would like to inform you that people who participate in the program is because they want to be able to help others via the Google Maps platform.

Sometimes, there are perks available and it will vary from time to time and from region to region. It depends on who the Google partners are. There may also be special and/or early access to Google features. You can read more about it on this article Get recognized.

As a reminder, Connect is a a forum to discuss with other Google Maps users who have joined the program of Local Guides. Everyone is welcome here but the forum is not a platform for commercial advertising or self-promotion of any kind.  Please revise our Local Guides Program Rules before posting.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@creativexsolutions Local Guides is a voluntary program with no financial reward. However, once a while, there could be small perks provided to help motivate contributors. Sometimes perks could be announced in LG Connect. And sometimes announced through email.

Personally for myself, whenever I am free, I try to contribute photos, reviews, ratings, edits etc when I visit a place, if there is time. I don't really follow the points or badges very much, I suppose they will be earned as I slowly contribute. If there was a reason why I am continuing the contribution is because I really make use of Maps almost daily, and I hope with the collective contribution, everyone can help maintain the platform for the use of everyone, including myself. Hopefully many others would feel the same way. 

To set email notification for perks, contributions, product updates etc, head to https://maps.google.com/localguides/home/settings

And you can have a look at this post also which many of the current/previous perks (non-exhaustive list), you can check the details under each link and note the expiry/end date of each
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Repository-of-lists-of-Perks-for-Local-Guid...

Level 5

Thanks @FelipePK appreciated 

Level 5

Thanks, @StephenAbraham appreciated, will do the same. Keep helping others when I can.