TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

Thanks Traci and JHarden for your posts.

As a wheelchair user, one of the most important things is to have non-wheelchair users assist in making spaces accessible by:

1. educating others on the importance of accessibility for all spaces;
  2. educating others on what accessible means, so that the step up into the restaurant means the restaurant is not wheelchair accessible, even if its only one step;
  3. educating business owners on the importance of accessibility, and by putting your money into businesses that are accessible, not ones that aren't;
  4. considering whether the height of the soap dispenser or the hand drier/towels make an otherwise accessible washroom inaccessible;
  5. considering whether the weight of door will trap someone in a washroom;
  6. considering whether the height of a counter will make a person in a chair invisible to the person working behind it;
  7. considering whether the layout of moveable items, such as chairs in a restaurant or racks in a clothing store, allow a person in a chair to navigate between, through, and around them easily.

As a wheelchair user, I need the help of every (temporarily) able-bodied person to insist that businesses become accessible. My dollars go unnoticed because I can't get into the store. But if those who can get in refuse to until a business is accessible, the business notices the loss of dollars. The point is not to put businesses out of business. It is to open up opportunities for wheelchair users to participate in all aspects of society as independently as possible. It is also to ensure that the disadvantaged person doesn't have to do all of the work. Just think about whether you could reach that thing you want if you were seated and not able to stand. Or whether you could pull a door open if you were in a chair that couldn't move away from the door. Could you? If not, then it's most likely that I can't either.

I'd love to see the blue wheelchair symbol on businesses that are accessible. It would definitely make my life easier.

Level 2

Hi Peter 

I'm going to answer your questions in parts. First, I believe that the feature is available worldwide on the newest version of the google maps app. 

Second, 

There is an excellent explanation of how to access it at the beginning of this thread. 

I ran across the questions after reviewing a business. When I submitted the review, I was asked if I knew this business and could answer some questions about it. I answered yes, and the accessibility questions popped up. I was using the google maps app on an iPhone at the time. 

Lastly, I agree the accessibility of the washroom is an issue that is often overlooked. I find that almost all bathrooms that able-bodied people think are accessible are not for any number of different reasons. However, I disagree that accessible washrooms are more important than other accessibility concerns, such as parking, building access, and so on. If I can't get to the building because there is no accessible parking, then I'm not going there and the bathroom doesn't matter. If I can't get into the building, an accessible washroom is not accessible for me. So the other questions are very important for me as well. 

Level 6

Hello Miss Traci!

Thanks a lot for this accessibility post.Very informative.

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

(Indian Air Force)

Level 5

Good post! I might add that the same amount of room is needed for those on crutches, using a cane, walker or wheelchair because I've used them all! You covered all the bases.

Another thing I thought of is when visiting a store with items on shelves or a restaurant or theater, are there spaces between tables and shelves that are that wide?

When I shop, I don't need every aisle to be a meter or 3 feet wide, but there should be enough that I can get through without brushing items off shelves or knocking clothes down. Especially where clothes are concerned! Clothing or drapes can get caught in the wheels of a power chair more easily than one might think! A friend gave me a pretty dress to my ankles. Well, I didn't keep it gathered up well enough and it ripped to shreds before I could stop the wheelchair and get it untangled. My chair stops instantly when the joystick is released. So, in a second or two, I ruined my dress and had a time keeping covered up while I spun around trying to get it untangled! That was very embarrassing.

Another time I was wearing a nice poncho specifically made for wheelchairs. A moment's inattention because it was rainy and my wheel slipped! The poncho caught on the joystick. I spun around wildly, partially in the street with heavy traffic! It took only a few secs to get it off the joystick, but it is now not waterproof because of a rip near the center pocket. This is a heavy tarp-like material with a heavy fleece lining sewn in! I had to untangle it and get out of the crosswalk quickly [we were in Atlanta]. In the process, I ripped it more. That was the most harrowing maybe 10 seconds of my life since I've been in a wheelchair!

Power chairs can actually damage walls, much less people. So we have to be very careful wherever we go. Just a bit of insight into the power chair life 🙂 that might affect how 'wheelchair friendly' a place is.

Level 6

Re: Answer accessibility questions on Google Maps accurately

A very good afternoon to everybody!

Thanks you for posting on this accessibility topic.

I'm totally in agreement with this post though its quite an old post dated June 2016.Happened to come across this post while browsing, trying to gain more knowledge on local guides and usage of Connect,since I'm a new entrant as local guides.

These 4 questions mentioned in the "answering accessibility questions" posted by Miss TraciC as regards to accessibility are very important for differently disabled people.

Most often than not we fail to connect with the difficulties they face in day to day life,even doing normal chores of life.Rightly said by Miss TraciC"lts only the tip of the iceberg."

Many countries are yet to become differently abled friendly by providing well equipped facilities for them.Afew examples are pen downed to facilitate them:

(1) Government transport systems like buses and trains can upgrade by adding retractable hydraulic ramps/ lifts to enable them to board the transport without assistance.Earmark places with fitments like clamps for wheelchairs for safety like in Metro trains.

A few private cab operators in India have come up with differently abled friendly cab services providing facilities for them including pick up and drop facility,GPS,GPRS tracking system,fire extinguishers but their charges are on the higher side, hence its not feasible for everybody to use it.It will be restricted to financially strong passengers.Goverments involvement in coming forward to make all transport services like trains and buses differently abled friendly will make a huge difference in their lives.

Sharing this as l get upset seeing differently abled people struggling to get inside the transport.

Have a nice weekend!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force

Level 6

Hello Miss TraciC!

Today l posted a reply on your post "Answer accessibility questions on Google Maps accurately" and it showed successfully posted.However that post is missing.Would request you to please let me know as to where l can trace my post.l devoted a lot of time in drafting that post and feeling bad about loosing it.

Thanks a lot!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force

Level 6

Re-Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

A very good afternoon to everybody!

Miss TraciC Thank  you for posting on this accessibility topic.

I'm totally in agreement with this post though its quite an old post dated June 2016.Happened to come across this post while browsing, trying to gain more knowledge on local guides and usage of Connect,since I'm a new entrant as local guides.

These 4 questions mentioned in the "answering accessibility questions" posted by Miss TraciC as regards to accessibility are very important for differently disabled people.

Most often than not we fail to connect with the difficulties they face in day to day life,even doing normal chores of life.Rightly said by Miss TraciC"lts only the tip of the iceberg."

Many countries are yet to become differently abled friendly by providing well equipped facilities for them.Afew examples are pen downed to facilitate them:

(1) Government transport systems like buses and trains can upgrade by adding retractable hydraulic ramps/ lifts to enable them to board the transport without assistance.Earmark places with fitments like clamps for wheelchairs for safety like in Metro trains.

A few private cab operators in India have come up with differently abled friendly cab services providing facilities for them including pick up and drop facility,GPS,GPRS tracking system,fire extinguishers but their charges are on the higher side, hence its not feasible for everybody to use it.It will be restricted to financially strong passengers.Goverments involvement in coming forward to make all transport services like trains and buses differently abled friendly will make a huge difference in their lives.

Sharing this as l get upset seeing differently abled people struggling to get inside the transport.

Have a nice weekend!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force

Former Google Contributor

Hello @sameenasanjay, I believe your post is available publicly now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about accessibility!

Sometimes posts get flagged as spam by the automatic spam filters used in Connect and they land in spam quarantine. Google Moderators release non-spammy posts from the queue daily. The next time you are unable to find your post, please be assured that it will be released within 24 hours or less, apart from the weekends. 🙂

P.S To ensure someone else sees your post, you have to add "@" before typing their username so that they receive a notification that you wrote a post to them. Hope this is helpful! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 6

@JeslynL

A Very Good evening to you Miss JeslynL!

Thank you so much for replying to me.It means a lot to new local guides like us.

During my journey of 25-20 days on Connect l have made many local guide friends both junior and senior to me.Senior local guides always lend a helping hand in guiding the Junior local guides.l have observed that everytime.Not to mention I had interact with 3 Moderators in these 20 days odd,namely Mr Ermest,Miss Karen and Miss Yanni.All these 3 Moderators were ever helpful to not only me but to all local guides on this forum who asked for guidance.This is the most beautiful part of Connect Forum. Apart from learning new techniques,we are connected to the guides from all over the World and share posts with them,reciprocate to their replies and congradulate them for their achievements under one forum that is "Connect" as the word depicts.

Miss JeslynL it was very nice to get connected to you through this post.You will be the forth Moderator with whom l got connected today.

Thank a lot  for the PS Miss JeslynL!

@Since l'm new l didn't know how to use @ earlier but  my helpful local guide friends and Moderator Ermest taught me how to use @.l used to struggle a lot in the beginning just to post one content.Now l'm well versed with using @.Thanks to all my senior guides and Moderators.

Highly Obliged!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force.

@JeslynL wrote:

Hello @sameenasanjay, I believe your post is available publicly now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about accessibility!

Sometimes posts get flagged as spam by the automatic spam filters used in Connect and they land in spam quarantine. Google Moderators release non-spammy posts from the queue daily. The next time you are unable to find your post, please be assured that it will be released within 24 hours or less, apart from the weekends. 🙂

P.S To ensure someone else sees your post, you have to add "@" before typing their username so that they receive a notification that you wrote a post to them. Hope this is helpful! 

Level 7

The wheelchair accessibility questions provides great usefulness to those of the disabled community and their families.  It would be even more helpful for locations of government entities such as subway, train stations and other transportation facilities. Right now i believe only private businesses are including this feature.