TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

Im on Google maps now and yet its still so hard to find the acsesable section can google do a separt app or section for disabled peopl and not hide the section

Level 4

In case of accessibility of place by wheel chair how to know or answer if washrooms are accessible by wheel chair.

its an  important information  .

I have experienced public places which is accessible by wheel chairs but there washrooms are not. 

Level 4

In case of accessibility of place by wheel chair how to know or answer if washrooms are accessible by wheel chair.

its an  important information  .

I have experienced public places which is accessible by wheel chairs but there washrooms are not. 

Level 7

@TraciC wrote:

Is there a wheelchair-accessible elevator?

Answer yes if the business is multistoried and there is an elevator that is large enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

What do I answer if there is no elevator, and no stairs either, because there is only the ground floor?

Answering "no" sounds like it would mean poor accessibility, which wouldn't be true?

I need an "no applicable" answer.

Level 10

Thank you Traci for this.

I might have to clarify something.

In regards to a wheelchair-accessible elevator. Let's say I'm in a multi-story shopping mall, and I happen to walk into say, a normal one story specialty store that doesn't have a lift/elevator for itself. Would I specify that the shop itself doesn't have a lift, or because it is encompassed in the shopping mall that it counts? There are many banks and clothing shops that don't require lifts, but I think these are more in regards to certain one-floored stores that for some reason have stairs that hinder them to accessing all sections of the store.

Level 10

This post is very helpful.👍👍👍

Level 1

I am trying to use this feature as both a user and contributor but this feature does not show up on any of the listings I have tried on either my desktop or Android phone. I went through some of the tutorials and press releases to see which location was featured and found one location (River and Woods) that provided extremely limited accessibility information, but still no way to add content. I have now signed up as a Local Guide hoping to be able to access this feature, but still no luck. I even tried to update my app on my phone with no luck.

I love this idea. As someone with a disability and who is an accessible travel writer the idea of adding this to Google Maps is fantastic. I use Google Maps on almost a daily basis to help me during my travels. While the idea of crowd sourcing this information is not new and many small startups have begun similar projects, Google has the greatest opportunity of providing this information to more users. I would love to jump on board to assist with this project but I need help. I know that if I am having trouble accessing this information, other users and would be contributors are too.

Level 10

Buenas @TraciC

Tuve la suerte de hacer un curso de ayuda a los discapacitados dentro de la Universidad politécnica de Madrid, y pudimos ver como servicios tan básicos como el transporte pública de Madrid, especialmente el Metro de Madrid muchas de sus estaciones eran imposibles salir a la calle, cambiar de andén, cambiar de línea de metro, para gente discapacitada. Y estamos hablando del tercer mejor metro de todo el mundo y que cada día va mejorando en accesibilidad pero actualmente hay muchas barreras arquitectónicas que les impiden un libre movimiento igual que los demás.

Un Saludo Cordial de Miguel Ángel.
Level 1

Re: Answer accessibility questions on Google Maps accurately

J.honnor votre adhésion sur Google maps-pour- aider-les-plus-demunis-mercicordialement saccovan

@TraciC wrote:

@KarenVChin, Thank you for sharing that personal story of how accessibility information helps you and your family. I will share your feedback regarding a wheelchair symbol to signify which places are wheelchair-accessible. 

Level 6

As an Interior designer i come across these questions all the time. I wish that more people who are disabled or differently abeled would engage people like myself when designing, redesigning, or even searching for a home. when I was in school learning about how to accommodate the different abilities of people was a passion of mine. its important that all the spaces of a given business or dwelling be accessible. i'm also one of those people who will willingly answer and comment about the accessibility of a space. i believe that it is a great and wonderful tool to have and hope to see the wheelchair symbol on google maps someday soon.