RussKH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Another fine mess?

Stan and Ollie statue in UlverstonStan and Ollie statue in UlverstonStan & Ollie, the recent movie about Laurel and Hardy, is proving to be a big hit around the world.

In my home town of Ulverston in the UK we are particularly excited about it as Stan Laurel was born here in 1890. We are all proud of the local lad who did good! In 2010 a statue was erected in our town square in commemoration of the contribution they made to comedy and laughter throughout the world - it's a great tourist attraction. The statue stands outside of the Coronation Hall, where in 1947 Stan and Ollie appeared on the balcony and often times we see people posing for a photo with the duo! The town also boasts a Laurel and Hardy museum full of memorabilia that belonged to the boys, and there is also a pub called 'The Stan Laurel' that sells beers brewed at the local town brewery with names such as Another Fine Mess, Laughing Gravy, Lonesome Pine and Call of the Cuckoo.

Ulverston Brewery BeerUlverston Brewery Beer

It's fantastic that the whole town is still so proud of this lovely funny man who sadly passed away over 50 years ago but his legacy of laughter still brings joy to millions to this day.

Stan & Ollie of course are known as other names in different countries
Albania - Olio me Stelion
Brazil - O Gordo e o Magro
Denmark - Gøg og Gokke
Egypt - El Tikhin Ouel Roufain
Estonia - Laurel ja Hardy; Paks ja Peenike
Finland - Ohukainen Ja Paksukainen
France - Laurel et Hardy
Germany - Laurel und Hardy; Stan und Ollie, Dick und Doof
Greece - Xonapoe and Azsnoe , Chondros Kai Lighnos
Hungary - Stan es Pan
Iceland - Steini og Olli
Israel - Hashamen ve Haraze
Italy - Stanlio e Ollio, Crik and Crok
Korea - Hol-jjug-i wa Dkung-ddung-i
Kurdistan - Laurel u Hardy
Malta - L-Ohxon u l-Irqiq
Norway - Helan og Halvan
Poland - Flip i Flap
Portugal - O Bucha and O Estica
Romania - Stan and Bran
Serbia - Stanlio i Olio
Spain - El Gordo y el Flaco
Sweden / Norway - Helan och Halvan
The Netherlands - De Dikke en de Dunne
Turkey - Sisman ve Zaif
UK / USA - Laurel and Hardy

Stan & Ollie keeping an eye on things!Stan & Ollie keeping an eye on things!

Russell Holden
Ulverston, UK
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Another fine mess?

Nice post again!

I do know them only as Dick and Doof and in my childhood they were popular (already like a relaunch).

Regards from Germany 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Hello @RussKH interesting post, I knew Stan was English but didn't realise that he was a Northern Lad thought he was from London. I remember my Dad, god rest him, he used to get a great laugh watching them on telly. They were an inspiration to many future double acts, like, the two ronniies and  morcome and wise and  even ant and dec  The movie should be good for your area. Great photo. Greetings from Dublin. 

Level 10

Thanks for sharing @RussKH, I didn't know of this before. I will try to visit when in UK.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Hey @RussKH,

Thanks for sharing this cool post! I remember watching reruns of them as a child. 😊 How interesting to read about them many years later.

Laughter is indeed the best medicine! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Me encanto tu post @RussKH, me trajo recuerdos de la infancia cuando veía a el Girdi y el Flaco o también a Laurel y Hardy, en la TV, en blanco y negro, su humor tan inocente, casi naif, me sacaba infinitas sonrisas, cuando el gordo retaba a el flaco y él le decía  Olí , Olí, golpeándolo con su sombrero bombín, me gustaría visitar ese sitio, si voy a Inglaterra tendré en mente su post gracias por compartir 

Farid

Connect Moderator

Great post @RussKH! I definitely need to search for some clips on YouTube! I only know them by name and vaguely recall watching them on telly when I was younger. So nice to know their history links to Ulverston! And equally fascinating to know that they were known around the world under different names!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews