Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Anomalies with Tracks Becoming Named Roads

About a few months ago, I've noticed some walking tracks and paths (usually denoted in a green line) take up the name of the road that they seemingly conjoin and continue from. Of course, unless the track has a designated track, regular paths should not take the name of the street/road/etc they come from.

Caption: Illustrations of this anomaly occurring.Caption: Illustrations of this anomaly occurring.

But after short experimentation by accident, I found out that Google Maps sometimes actually treats these named tracks as actual roads and attempts to navigate you unto these. This can be a little bit tricky. By definition depending on the organisation that takes care of such roads, only the actual road should be named as such, not the track that stems from its end. It seems there is an AI component involved in how the tracks connect to the road and how it thinks it should conjoin paths and continue the naming convention.

As per the illustration above, here are the details for the above "roads" that should be corrected and reasoning. I have already made suggestions/given feedback to two of those about two months ago but I'm still waiting on correction. Perhaps these satellite views might be of assistance.

Flood Street, Bondi: The street continues downwards through Waverley Park, from the pedestrian crossing.

Notley Street, Mount Druitt: Continues down a track and unto an undefined dirt walking track.

Cannons Parade, Forestville: Continues down a track that may or may not exist.

Timbrol & Nina Gray Avenues, Rhodes: Both continue down after sharp turns as the footpath to the river.

Bulolo Drive, Mount Druitt: Continues into a one-way driveway through R.A.A.F. Memorial park.

Mendi Place, Whalan: Continues as the footpath well into Whalan Reserve. It should only be the very short road on the right.

I look forward to your assistance.

P.S. I don't know which topic to put this under (it would've been Mapping Your World), so I hope "How-tos" works out.

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Anomalies with Tracks Becoming Named Roads

I've encountered a few of these around the new bike paths along the rebuilt railway lines around Melbourne too @Briggs so this issue is fairly widespread. Myself and other cyclists have encountered cars on the cycle path who had been sent there by Maps. I sent feedback a while ago for the two places where they were being directed onto the path.

Former Google Contributor

Hey guys @Briggs and @PaulPavlinovich,

Sending feedback is definitely the way to go on this one and while we can report this on our side here, it would be probably best if this is posted directly on the Google Maps help forum, where the Google Maps experts will take action faster than us.

By the way, How-Tos is the right section where this should be posted.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 10

Thank you GeorgesHR for your assistance, and for directing me to the right place for these issues.

Unfortunately due to an incident over a year ago, I can no longer post on those forums, so I should relegate and expect someone else to forward it, or hopefully see this issue fixed by our current reporting methods alone. I'm not too fussed about this anomaly since I don't drive around, so I don't mind this taking its sweet time to take action.

Connect Moderator

I've given feedback on a few of them @GeorgesHR I have to admit I've not gone back to check them out since :).