MegS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Ancient tablet’s secrets unlocked

“At least 1,000 years before the Greek mathematician Pythagoras looked at a right angled triangle and worked out that the square of the longest side is always equal to the sum of the squares of the other two, an unknown Babylonian genius took a clay tablet and a reed pen and marked out not just the same theorem, but a series of trigonometry tables which scientists claim are more accurate than any available today.

Caption: Dr Daniel Mansfield with the Plimpton 322 Babylonian clay tablet in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University in New York. Image: UNSW/Andrew KellyCaption: Dr Daniel Mansfield with the Plimpton 322 Babylonian clay tablet in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University in New York. Image: UNSW/Andrew Kelly

Read the full article on UNSW Newsroom.

9 comments
Level 10

Re: Ancient tablet’s secrets unlocked

Wow, this is brilliant information you shared @MegS . Your posts are always really educative and informative. Now with you I can learn and be well informed as well. Am sure many other Local guides will really value priceless information you shared with us all 🙂

Level 10

Some of My Local Guides Friends please don't miss this well informed article, I am tagging you so you can as well benefit from it just as I did. @OSAMA @AkmalB @SalmaanN @BishowvijayaP @DavidTito @NareshDarji @Osaka78forTRUMP

Level 10

Interesting article and knowledgeable post @MegS.

I agree with this new theory because without such things and calculations cannot make or built long lasting construction or canals. 

Thanks for the news .

@HelloSamsonR thanks to mention me here.

Level 9

Wait wait @MegS , before talking about the how much genius Babylon was , I Advice you and my friends to read this wonderful book The Richest Man in Babylon , you read it in one day 😁😁😁👍

Thanks @HelloSamsonR , @AkmalB 

Where is @MahabubMunna am sure he have something special about this topic 🙂

Thank you so much @MegS 😉

Connect Moderator

It's really very interesting post @MegS thanks for sharing this interesting post with us. 

Thanks @HelloSamsonR for reminding me.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@MegS

@NareshDarji

@OSAMA

@AkmalB

@HelloSamsonR

Really interesting and knowledge-ful article.

Happy Mapping Keep guiding

Level 8

No words for the unknown Babylonian Genius, who marked out the therom and the series of accurate trigonometry tables, 3700 years ago.. This post is very informative, @MegS.. And thank you, @HelloSamsonR for notifying me about this post.. 🙂

Vellore Local Guides
Level 8

@MegS I just got a wiff of trigonometry, I love this stuff ... I have also studded ohms law, Jewels Law and Kurchos Law, Roe Density, Formula, Algebra,... if it's got numbers on it I can work out size, My favourite is algorithm, I have an electrical engineering degree in instrumentation back here in Australia,  

Oh yeah, I found some more information about trigonometry below thank you for sharing @MegS and @HelloSamsonR thank for the tag bro thanks ever so kindly @DavidTito

Image result for trigonometry formula

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=21&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwizpoeu...

And This loz

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=20&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwizpoeu...

@MegS wrote:

“At least 1,000 years before the Greek mathematician Pythagoras looked at a right angled triangle and worked out that the square of the longest side is always equal to the sum of the squares of the other two, an unknown Babylonian genius took a clay tablet and a reed pen and marked out not just the same theorem, but a series of trigonometry tables which scientists claim are more accurate than any available today.

Caption: Dr Daniel Mansfield with the Plimpton 322 Babylonian clay tablet in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University in New York. Image: UNSW/Andrew KellyCaption: Dr Daniel Mansfield with the Plimpton 322 Babylonian clay tablet in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University in New York. Image: UNSW/Andrew Kelly

Read the full article on UNSW Newsroom.

Level 10

Thanks for the article @MegS.

Also thanks for the notification @HelloSamsonR.

It's a quite informative post. I don't agree the statement that Pythagoras was the first to propose a theorem of right angle triangle.

But of course he made it popular on his own name.