AbdullahAM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Ancient Footwear: Khorom

Khorom (in Bengali: খড়ম) is a name of footwear in ancient Bengal (now Bangladesh). The Khorom was totally made by wood. The time is unknown when people start using this footwear in Bangladesh but it was the main and only footwear in ancient Bangladesh. It was the main footwear until 1962 when Bata shoes setup their business in Bangladesh. It was used till 1990 in some rural areas, due to leather industry revolution and modernization we lost this footwear from our culture even from the country; only is available in the Museum. I have found this Zainul Folk Arts and Crafts Museum in Sonargaon.

Khorom, ancient footwear in Bangladesh , the photo was taken by myself from Zainul  Folk Arts and Crafts Museum in SonargaonKhorom, ancient footwear in Bangladesh , the photo was taken by myself from Zainul Folk Arts and Crafts Museum in Sonargaon

Zainul Folk Arts & Crafts Museum, Sonargaon Road, Sonargaon, Bangladesh
12 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Ancient Footwear: Khorom

Hi @AbdullahAM,

Thanks for this interesting post.

I can`t imagine how people wore these. Don`t you think they were heavy? What else did you see in the museum?

PS: Take a look at the What are Connect topics? post.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

Hello @Petra_M

Thank you for your interesting about this.

Couple of weeks before i have visited this museum, may be I will share about my visit to this museum.

Level 8

Hi @AbdullahAM Thank you for sharing interesting post. I don't think the shoes would be very comfortable to wear but good for lasting a long time when in the past maybe people did not have much money

Level 9

Hello @Eire27

Thank you for your comments.

May be this is not looks like comfortable but if you think about few hundred years ago how people survive their life without industrial revolution then its a good shoes. 

Level 8

Yes @AbdullahAM I think this also, that very good shoes that made long ago and last a long time and part of your culture ☺

Level 10

Namskar..

@AbdullahAM

Nice Sharing Details and Zainul Folk Arts and Crafts Museum in Sonargaon.

Here in India, Maharashtra we called is khatun or paduka in old days Saint use to wear this footwear which also helps in accupressure..

Thanks for Sharing..

Regards From Mumbai..

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing, @AbdullahAM. It's really fascinating to see how much time these shoes were the best there was. What was the typical clothing at that time?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

My nana used to wear this in Patna, Bihar India.

But they call another name for that it was like Kharawan or something.

I will ask my mom and then let you know.

Level 9

Nice to know that your nana (grand father) used this footwear @aliather 

I think it was a common footwear in the Indian subcontinent.