TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

An update from Traci: It’s not a farewell…

Caption: A collage of three photos. Left to right, Traci in dark clothing behind Google letters, Traci with face makeup in front of a lit Google sign and a photo of Traci in front of a globe with the Googler letters.Caption: A collage of three photos. Left to right, Traci in dark clothing behind Google letters, Traci with face makeup in front of a lit Google sign and a photo of Traci in front of a globe with the Googler letters.

Here on Connect, I’m usually in the background as Googler and Connect Moderators take care of all of you. When I’m not in the background, you’ve also seen me sharing posts about the amazing people in the Local Guides program — you — or about the latest and greatest features and news for Local Guides and Google Maps.

Today, I’m writing to you to share some news: as of December 17, 2021, I will be “just” a Googler on Connect. I’ll no longer be a Google Administrator as I have made the very, very, very hard decision to move to a new team within Google after nine years on the Local Guides team. (The Local Guides program officially launched in 2015 but existed in various iterations in the years before that!)

Caption: A collage of three photos from events Traci attended in 2011 as a community member.. From left to right:  A photo of girls holding bowling balls with Traci in the center. A photo of a group of folks standing in front of a Google Places sign with Traci in the bottom right. In the last photo, Traci is dressed up as Nyan Cat with another community member dressed up as a Flintstone.Caption: A collage of three photos from events Traci attended in 2011 as a community member.. From left to right: A photo of girls holding bowling balls with Traci in the center. A photo of a group of folks standing in front of a Google Places sign with Traci in the bottom right. In the last photo, Traci is dressed up as Nyan Cat with another community member dressed up as a Flintstone.

Before I became a Googler, I was just like you: writing reviews (that’s all we had at the time) in 2011 on Google Maps.  Writing reviews was so special to me because as a native New Yorker, I always felt that folks visiting NYC for the first time HAD to visit places outside the usual touristy spots. I turned to reviewing on Google because it was new and I felt I could help to shape the future of sharing local information with it. This was especially important to me as I spent 3.5 years away in Orlando, Florida at college, so when I came home, EVERYONE visited me and I got to take them around New York City. When I was able to start sharing reviews, I was able to send my friends a profile link so they could make decisions on what to do themselves.

Caption: A photo of Local Guides standing in front of trees at Everglades National Park, including @SP31 with Traci in the center.Caption: A photo of Local Guides standing in front of trees at Everglades National Park, including @SP31 with Traci in the center.

Fast forward 10 years since I started reviewing and whoa, how things have changed! We can now contribute to Google Maps in so many ways, from editing the Map’s details, to mapping roads with Road Mapper, to answering accessibility questions (one of my favorites) and more. We have the power to influence Google Maps in so many ways, and at the end of the day, I always feel the same sense of pride: what we contribute to Google Maps helps people make the best decisions about where to go or what to do. When you have a limited amount of time or money, you want to feel confident in your decisions and with Local Guides, all of that is possible.

Whether you’re new to Local Guides or have been around for 1, 5, 7, 10 years, you all have an incredible role in shaping the future of Google Maps; every single day. By following your passions, your contributions can help a stranger plan a birthday party for a friend who requires wheelchair-accessible facilities, you’re mapping entire countries that help people get around an unknown place and you’re helping locals to discover small businesses that are the heart and soul of their towns. And those are just a few examples!

Caption: A photo of Traci (left) jumping with Local Guides at the 2016 summit, with giant orange balloons.Caption: A photo of Traci (left) jumping with Local Guides at the 2016 summit, with giant orange balloons.

Those of you who know me know that I have always been and always will be a Local Guide, right there with you, experiencing the joy when someone likes one of my reviews, or when a photo of mine is featured on a small business, the satisfaction of having an edit approved or being the first to review a new small business (after talking to the owner about Maps!). But, it goes beyond that: it’s about the people! Every single one of you is a part of what I feel confidently is the best global community of people, both on Google Maps and right here on Connect. That is what makes Local Guides so very special: this community we have built together.

While I will be moving on to a new challenge within Google, I will continue to contribute to Google Maps (follow me), and I’ll continue to peek in here, though I will be “just” a Googler. 

Caption: A photo of Traci on the floor next to a decal that says "I am a big deal on Google Maps."Caption: A photo of Traci on the floor next to a decal that says "I am a big deal on Google Maps."

I know there are great things ahead for all of you Local Guides! This isn’t a farewell, it’s a “see you around here on Connect and on social media using #localguides (I’m @jumpingtraci)” it’s a “talk to you soon, friends I’ve made through the program,” and it’s a “thank you for helping me to grow” as a Local Guide, program manager, community management professional and most importantly a person. I am so very proud of what we have achieved together and my heart swells when I think of you.

So, I guess it’s time: see you around, talk to you soon and thank you, everyone. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
109 comments
Level 9

Re: An update from Traci: It’s not a farewell…

1. Thanks @TraciC for different looks in different ways. It's not farewell but occasions when you have come for some confession. 
  2.  She has been instrumental and inspiration for others.  A noble lady from Brooklyn, Newyork, casting her ideas to all LG.  And finally the Sky has no limit for Her .20210714_065158.jpg

Captain: An open sky is for @TraciC 

Level 10

Well this is definitely a surprise @TraciC !

You've always been very kind and helping in the community, and I'm sure you'll still be. We will miss you! Thank you for your support along all these years, it was great having you among the Local Guides community.

Caption: selfie of 4 smiling Local Guides during one of the activities in Connect Live 2019.Caption: selfie of 4 smiling Local Guides during one of the activities in Connect Live 2019.

I wish you all the best in this new stage, I can imagine it wasn't an easy decision but I'm sure you'll rock it!

Hope to see you around 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 9

Thanks for everything you have done for the community @TraciC ! I don't think there are any words to describe all the amazing work you've done for Local Guides! Very excited for you in your new role! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

@TraciC  it's actually shocking news for us but it's reality. Almost 8 years we know each other lots of time your advice and mentoring help us to develop Bangladesh local guides.

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

For me you will always be an amazing person with a golden heart @TraciC ! I would love to meet you in person someday ! Thank you for all the amazing work you have done to take our Local Guides program to an amazing level and made us feel proud of what we as Local Guides do ! Although , I know the program wont be the same without you, I am glad that you have a new role to play which would be exciting and a new learning and growing experience for you ! Congratulations and I am sure you will be equally amazing in the new role as well ! I am happy for you ! See you soon in the next hangout !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

@TraciC I loved your reflections of the program, and just reading your whole story related to it. It was nice to learn more about it. You were, are, and will be a very important part of the community and I think this is a huge before and after for us

The circumstances are sad from one point of view, as ending important phases in our lives can be, but switching areas and moving positions seems right (from my perspective and limited information), you have definitely gotten a lot of experience here that would be very useful in other teams and roles. So congrats on the new role!! I'm sure you'll do great.

I will forever remember your accessibility meet-up in Buenos Aires, your fascination for alfajores, Adrian's game with the blue team, and more fun we've had with the program.

This isn't a goodbye though, I will keep seeing you on Maps and I hope you'll keep updating me with places near me based on Harry Styles 😆 and of course, if you ever come back to Buenos Aires we would love to have you in meet-up(s)!

Level 9

So sad to hear @TraciC all the best for future projects...

Connect Moderator

You will be missed @TraciC I wish you the Best in your new position. See you around.

Greetings.

Silvy. 

Connect Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @TraciC.

All the best in your new position. Can you reveal anything about what your departure means for the future of the Local Guides Program? 

Cheers

Morten