BudiFXW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Am I too old to be a Local Guides ?

After a workshop. One of the workshop attendee approaching me and tell  me that the  only reason he came to the workshop is how come a person in my age can be a Local Guides and can attend such an International Summit because as long as he know That Google Maps and high tech application is suitable to millennial generation, especially i Indonesia

I asked back so now what You think ?

We spent more than an hour after the workshop, until the janitor came and asked us to leave using his body language.

We discussed the reason I joint the Local Guides is by accident, I receive an email than follow the suggestion. I do travelling a lot in my daily activities and I use my lunch break, waiting time during travelling with any transportation mode or commuter line queuing in Manggarai Station even in one hour forty minutes standing in commuter line   back and forth to the office and my home.

So this activities is not connected with ages.

Another example is in the Tangerang Local Guides meet up last Saturday 24 November 2018 where it took two hours commuter line duration and more than twenty commuter line stations, so I can do so many things with Google Maps. Reviewing, uploading photos and videos.

One Local Guides bring his 12 yrs old boy nice, who always asking to joint his uncle meet up because he always welcoming and can shake hand many his uncle friends and take so many photos together and ... good food.

I told this young Local Guides enthusiastic to ask his uncle to teach him to be a Local Guides and do some contribution with his point of view.
From his eyes I know that he is agree with me.

As far as I concern and please correct me if I am wrong, there is no age restriction for being a Local Guides.

I meet and greet Local Guides in Connect Live 2018 there are more Local Guides above my ages.

The only age restriction is when you apply for Local Guides Summit or Connect Live, you should more than 21 years old because US legal compliance regarding   drinking alcohol contain drinking.

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Jakarta, Indonesia
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Am I too old to be a Local Guides ?

Es un gran post el que nos compartió @BudiFXW, y por supuesto reafirmó, que no existe limíte de edad para ser un Local Guide 🙂, al contrario los mejores aportes tanto en comentarios como en fotos son de los Local Guides adultos, ya que en general tienen un criterio mejor formado de las cosas, y las opiniones no son atinadas y con un buen equilibrio. Un claro ejemplo es mi heroina Jennifer de España  es una gran Local Guides, galardonada por sus aportes al turismo en su ciudad, reconocida por el intendente de ella. mira su vídeo 👇

Saludos Farid

🖐👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper left part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 10

@BudiFXW Just as what Farid has shared, no one is too old to contribute to Local Guides and Maps. In one of our worldwide Local Guides summit, we had a Level 10 contributor who is over 80 years joining us. Always feel proud to have elders in the community. Local Guides isn't meant to be a high-tech program, it's for everyone, including non technical people to contribute our local knowledge and experience and share it with the world through Google Maps.

Having said that, there is a minimum age for joining the Local Guides program which is 18 years old. Refer to rules of the program here. https://maps.google.com/localguides/rules

So for your young friend, who is 12, he will need to wait for a few more years before officially joining the program.

Former Google Contributor

This is a post I really loved reading @BudiFXW. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. The message that you want to share with the whole community for sure rings a bell and is deeply touching. Borders are only set in the mind, there is actually nothing that can be called a limit and it is great that you remind this to all the Local Guides here.

I am sure that @AngieYC will be more than happy to read your post too.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank You @BudiFXW for sharing this idea.

In Local Guide, specially this community. 

Age no longer issue.

I meet LG With all range of age. And together we can communicate, under one topic. GOOGLE MAPS!

Level 10

Hi @BudiFXW the only age limit is the lower, 18 yrs old to join.

I think that millennials have some advantage in the LG program, as they are more likely to share whatever they want, even if the quality doesn't meet the minimum standards.

We, experienced (oh, let's say, old...) users are more focused on quality of our contributions, and, as Google team always say, quality wins over quantity, on the long term.

I'm not sure this is really true, but I will always try to focus on quality.

Millennials have also more spare time, so they can literally map every step they do in their daily routine.

But, we have more money (sometimes!!!) and travel opportunities, so our contributions could be more attractive.

But we should also leverage between LG activities and work/family time.

Google Moderator

Hello @BudiFXW,

Thank you for sharing your story and experience with us here on Connect. We are happy to have you here and it's never too late or too old for anything, as long as you have the passion and eagerness. 

Salam Semangat! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

I asked the same question to myself, @BudiFXW, when I joined the program, and more when I was invited to be a Connect Moderator, and more and more when I have been invited to LGSummit17.

Then, I simply decided that this is not the correct question: we are local guides because we love to share our knowledge about the places where we are, we love to learn, we love to discover. All this point are not "age related"

No special skills are needed, to use (thanks to the Google programmes) Google Maps. So local guide is a program for everyone, from 18 up to 150 🙂

Good post and good point

Former Google Contributor

I find you thoughts very motivating @ErmesT and totally agree with you. In our life sky is the "limit" and as long we have love and passion in our hearts no bounds would exist in our lives.

Level 10