JohnPeter's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

All Souls Day - Chennai

1.JPG

All Souls Day commemorated by Christians all over the world on behalf of their loved ones who have died.  It is conducted every year on 2nd November, it is just the next day of All Saints Day.  

Christian Bible says: "It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting, for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart". It is difficult to face death and lose.

During all souls day, Christian and Non-Christian go to their beloved one's graveyard to give tribute and pray for their souls to rest in peace. Before that, they will clean the Cemetery of their beloved, keep flowers, light the candles and pray for them. 

The local workers and cemetery maintainer gets some money for helping in cleaning the graveyard. Also, nearby shops get some profit by selling flowers and candles. A large number of beggars seen during this events and it’s a customs to give alms.

20.JPG

But there are many abandoned cemeteries are seen, it may be because they don't have relatives or forsaken by them.  So, this year I have decided to give tribute to them all. 

I have personally visited 8 Cemeteries on this occasion to give tribute

1. War Memorial Cemetery,Nandambakkam

2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

It is a graveyard of first and second world war civilians. 667 Graviers are there and it is maintained by Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Very beautiful place, usually people will have fear to go to the cemetery but here it is like a garden and maintenance is far excellent. 

1. Quibble Island Cemetery, Mandavelipakkam

15.JPG7.JPG

111.JPG222.JPG333.JPGThis is a river Island cemetery belongs to St. Thomas Cathedral Basilica, the church believes to be established by St. Thomas one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ.

1. Roque’s Church and cemetery, Old Washermenpet8.JPG9.JPG

This cemetery has a unique history because the church is located in the middle of the cemetery. Also, the church road is known as Cemetery road.

1. KIipauk Cementery, Kilpuak

10.JPG11.JPG

It is one of the largest cemeteries in Chennai, a landmark and bus stop. Recently introduced multi-tier vault facility but it was also filled in no time.

1. Mary’s Corporation Christian cemetery6.JPG

Another oldest Cemetery maintained by Corporation of Chennai and used by more than 200 denomination of churches.

1. CSI Tucker church cemetery, Old Washermenpet12.JPG

Tucker church cemetery near St. Roque’s  Cemetery used by CSI Tucker church, this is my family church where I give special tribute to my Father in law with my family.

1. Burial Ground, Kasimedu13.JPG

This is located near the Kasimedu fishing harbor, tells the stories of fishers community struggle between life and death.

1. CSI Cemetery, near YMCA Nandanam14.JPG

This is located just next to YMCA Campus and was not listed in the google map. I have added this location and got approved. I have also decided to add accessibility like coffin box rental services, ambulance service, and other funeral services. 

Finally, there are many more cemeteries belongs to other denominations and religions I could not visit in one day but I have remembered and gave tribute to all souls. May their souls rest in peace. In all the visit I noticed is that our life is very short and let us forgive each other and share what we have with others.

Alexander the  great's third wish

“My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin. I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world.” 

Therefore "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.. and then we return home."

Tribute by

John Peter

All locations: https://goo.gl/maps/v1jtccP32Ms

11 comments
Level 8

Re: All Souls Day - Chennai

Hello  @JohnPeter .very nice photos. When I was a child schools would close and people had the day off work but not these days. I don't usually go to the cemetery on all souls day instead we tend to go to church for mass and pray and light candles. Every year in Summer each cemetery has a mass, called, blessing of the graves, and all family stand by their loved ones graves. I also go to cemetery, Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries and Mother and Father's day.. The cemetery has a flower shop and flowers are not expensive.  I have never seen beggars  at the cemetery or heard of giving them money. Also the workers would not be allowed to clean graves or take money, this would be seen as disrespectful. Every country is different I guess. I pray everyday to my loved ones anyway. 😇  I already know they are in Heaven. Your photos are beautiful and you are kind to remember those forgotten. 😇

Level 8

@JohnPeter I meant to say I live in Ireland. Thanks again for your very interesting post🙂

Level 10

Thanks dear @Eire27 for sharing your experience. 

Yes different countries and denominations have their style of observation. 

Here most of the cemeteries are poor maintenance and it's difficult for aged or ladies to cleanup the bushes after a long year. 🙁

Mostly the person who clean are in charge of the cemetery,  very least bothered community get some extra money only during this eve. 😉 

Level 8

In Dublin a burial can cost up to 5,000 euro and at least 1,000 euro or more later for the name stone. So probably we pay a lot of money at the start so then they maintain the grounds, cut grass etc. In the country side graves would be by the church but not in cities. Most cemeteries are sad old places but my parents are in a cemetery beside Dublin Airport. It is kind of funny because when we have the open air mass each year, the priest has to stop talking when a plane goes over because they are so low and noisy, especially in summer so many planes, the mass can take a while. It keeps the young children entertained through watching the planes in the sky. @JohnPeter

Level 10

So lovely,  @Eire27 hope you have more memories to  share. 

This one is very funny and nice.  Plz visit India to get more fun. 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @JohnPeter,

Thank you for sharing your photos and your very detailed post. It is very interesting to hear about it. In Greece we have 2 days to celebrate the souls of lost loved ones. We call them Saturdays of soul.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thanks dear @VasT,  for your appreciation and sharing about Saturday of Souls.  

Very interesting. 

Thanks once again, 

John Peter

Level 9

Hi @JohnPeter,

That was a wonderful story on All Souls day.  Even though I am living in Chennai, I have never had a chance to see these places.  Thanks for presenting here.  The photographs were awesome too.

SARAVANAKANTH
??
Join with us in the Tamilnadu Local Guides WhatsApp group
Level 10

Thanks dear @Saravanakanth sir,  indeed some are historic.