LydiaK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adventures amongst the red rocks of Southern Utah.

I have lived in Utah, USA for 15 years and each year I enjoy discovering more and more of this wonderful place. While many people are familiar with Colorado and it's Rocky Mountains, often people are less familiar with Utah (directly west). It is somewhat a hidden gem.

IMG_20200422_160310.jpg

This year, I was fortunate enough to spend 10 weeks in the southern part of the state of Utah, in an area called St. George. Just outside St George is Zion National Park, Snow Canyon State Park, and Red Cliffs National Conservation Area. I had such a wonderful time exploring the paths and trails of these, and the surrounding areas, that I decided to create a list in Google Maps, of some of the fun things to see and do here. I am enjoying creating lists of places I have visited and look forward to seeing other people's lists too.

Here is a link to my list...

Things to See & Do Near St. George, Utah:

https://goo.gl/maps/WBCKcJZfd61cGN3m9

IMG_20200324_174809.jpg

IMG_20200506_113230.jpg

IMG_20200506_121209.jpg

PXL_20201119_003002658.jpg
This list is filled with fun, family-friendly activities in and near St. George, UT.  St. George is easily accessible from surrounding cities, about 2 hrs NE of Las Vegas and 4 hrs SW of Salt Lake City on I15. The city has so much to offer from beautiful scenery to an abundance of activities. 

If you ever visit Utah, USA. I hope you get to enjoy some of them...

Happy travels. 
Lydia
Level 8 Local Guide.

IMG_20200422_161819 (2).jpg IMG_20200329_144853.jpg

LydiaK
St. George, UT, USA
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Adventures amongst the red rocks of Southern Utah.

@LydiaK  amazing. When you visit in there. Rainy or winter

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Stunningly beautiful @LydiaK thanks for sharing. I drove across Utah once but didn't really stop anywhere due to time constraints on the trip - we had driven all the way across the country and I only had 1 day to get back to San Francisco for work.

Paul

Connect Moderator

Hi @LydiaK,

wow, the photos are very beautiful! I never been to Utah but you made me curious about it, perhaps once I'll be discovering some places over there as well and will be keeping in mind your tips 😉.

Thank you for sharing and happy travel! Looking forward everything is free again soon.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 8

Hi @MahabubMunna 
St George in Southern Utah lies in the northeasternmost part of the Mojave Desert. The summers are pretty hot and mostly clear, the winters can be cold and partly cloudy, and it is dry year round (low humidity). Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 102°F. It gets 10 inches of rain, on average, per year. I live in the northern part of Utah, and it is surprising how much warmer it is just 4 hours south to here. Although the elevation plays a part in this, as it is lower at about 2700 ft above sea level compared to an altitude of 6500 ft in northern Utah. I hope you are able to visit Utah one day!
Lydia

LydiaK
Level 8

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich. Yes, one just gets a sneak peak on the drive through Utah. If you are ever back in the States and have the opportunity to visit Utah, it is a beautiful state.

I have had the pleasure of visiting Australia twice. I went once in 1990, to visit an aunt and cousins who lived in Dee Why, near Sydney. And then again in 2018 I went to Sydney and Cairns, and got to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef. Amazing experience and an amazing country! Next time I need to come to Melbourne!

Best wishes, Lydia

LydiaK
Level 8

Thanks @LuigiZ 
Utah is an amazing place. So many state and national parks, beautiful and varied scenery to see, and wonderful weather as well! It is definitely worth a visit if you ever have the opportunity 🙂
Best wishes, Lydia

LydiaK
Former Google Contributor

Hello @LydiaK,

Thank you for sharing this incredible location and amazing photos with us. 

Is this area accessible during the whole year, or there are some periods when one shouldn't go there? Are there any wild animals?

The color of the rocks reminded me of some mountains in Morocco, where I grew up.

I'm sharing with you a photo, that I took a long ago of a rocky mountain in Morocco.

Caption: A photo of a road with palm trees on the side and a rocky mountain. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of a road with palm trees on the side and a rocky mountain. (Local Guide @BorrisS)

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Definitely come to Melbourne @LydiaK , plenty to see. I keep a list up to date of things that might interest travellers https://goo.gl/maps/eWxDmry68LGhZn7H7 

Paul

Level 8

Hi @BorrisS 
Thanks for sharing your photo of Morocco. It is very pretty with the palm trees and rocky mountains. I hope to visit Morocco one day. A friend brought me back a wonderful spice set from Morocco and I love to cook with it. I have heard great things about Moroccan cuisine.

Southern Utah is accessible year round. While snow is regular during the winters in Northern Utah, we do sometimes get snow in Southern and Eastern Utah too. The red rocks look especially beautiful with a dusting of snow. Here are a few photos I took during one February in Moab (Eastern, Utah).
IMG_0256.JPGIMG_0283.JPG 
The wildlife includes deer, bighorn sheep, elk, rabbits, birds, bats, foxes, lizards, and some wild cats roam southern Utah. But in tourist locations the sightings of wild cats are quite rare. Some people, especially solo hikers, often carry a bell to alert animals of their presence and that can keep them at bay.

If you are ever in the Western USA, Utah is definitely worth a visit 🙂

LydiaK