Tosan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Addis Ababa Through My Eyes

My first time in Ethiopia was an experience I wasn't prepared for especially the difference in temperature, it felt like I wasn't in Africa. I didn't check the weather forecast before taking off from Lagos, I had taken it for granted, getting off the plane I was hit with the cold, temperatures was around 15 Degrees, coming from Lagos that was 33, the difference was much. The fist thing I did was to get a sweat shirt. 

Addis Ababa is a very lively place to be, fun spots are scattered all over town with Bole Area in the center of it, the people speak majorly Amharic, followed by Arabic and English, Ethiopians are proud people one saying I heard is "never colonized, undefeated" this is in relation to their history of never been colonized like other African countries, the Italians came close but they where heavily resisted. Hotels are everywhere, you can get a good hotel from $15. One thing that struck me was the cars it felt like I was in a time wrap, there were a lot of old model cars running on the streets. I saw Ladas from the 70s and Datsun Sunny from the 80s, most of the cars on the road are of low horsepower and with high fuel efficiency basically because of the huge tax on bigger engines.

Medhane-Alem CathedralMedhane-Alem Cathedral

Being a Nigerian, I'm used to finger foods but Ingera is nothing like I have ever tasted before, the closest Nigerian food should be sour after taste of "Ijebu Garri" it took a while to get used to it as it is the staple in Ethiopia. The interesting part is the variety of soups and sauce that is served with it. One of the restaurants I visited serves a big platter of Ingera with samples different sauces on it, I remember one of them giving a method like feeling. Ethiopians drink a lot of Coffee, every visitor is welcomed with a cup of coffee. They even have a traditional ceremony around serving coffee, you should try Tamoca Coffee if you are ever in Addis and a coffee lover, the taste is awesome but it think I will stick with decaf. 

Places of interest I would recommend 

• Habesha Restaurant, more than food, they have cultural dances and live music
  • Edna Mall, the area around the mall is active 24hrs, the mall itself houses a cinema, restaurants and games for children
  • Medhane-Alem Cathedral, Christianity in Ethiopia is older than most African, a visit to the cathedral would be an experience an orthodox church service
  • Beer Garden Inn, this is a popular watering hole, and the attraction is the beer that is brewed in the bar a served draft. 
  • Piano Bar, they have an interesting live band that performs on Fridays               

Tips

• Always check the weather forecast before travelling 
  • IGNORE anyone inviting you to a party, except you are a curious cat like me
  • expect to pay an entrance fee at some of the clubs
  • Tamoca, the Starbucks of EthiopiaTamoca, the Starbucks of EthiopiaIngera, most popular Ethiopian delicacyIngera, most popular Ethiopian delicacyMedhane CathedralMedhane CathedralEthiopian AirportEthiopian Airport

The CoffeeThe CoffeeEthiopian FinestEthiopian FinestAvocado smoothie; there are fruit shops everywhereAvocado smoothie; there are fruit shops everywhereEthiopian Food PlatterEthiopian Food Platter

You can find more Photos from Addis Ababa here 

Tosan Clarke
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
12 comments
Level 6

Re: Addis Ababa Through My Eyes

Thanks for your contribution. You contribution is so vivid that I feel I have already been there. I hope to visit Addis Ababa on my next vacation.

Level 8

Thanks @youngbenedict you should check the other pictures in the shared album

Tosan Clarke
Level 6

Right, will do. Thanks

Level 9

This is an awesome read @Tosan you just took me on a journey with you. Beautiful pictures too.... heading off to the album now

Level 8

Thanks @Specobelle you can drop comments or questionsq on the pics as well and I'll respond according

Tosan Clarke
Level 10

OMG!!! Your post is so detailed and interestingly captivating to read - likewise your photos. Now I have to add visiting Addis Ababa to my bucket list of places to explore. Thanks a million @Tosan!!!

Level 10

Hi @Tosan

Very nice recap of your journey. 

After reading, I feel like I was around. 

Thank you 

Joseph G-rar F’ce

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr
Level 8

Thanks @nkwetche, I'm still honing my photography skills, hope to be like you soonest

Tosan Clarke
Level 8

Thanks @SanyaOdare more cities coming soon 😁

Tosan Clarke