EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: What is Accessibility

“Disability need not be an obstacle to success” - Prof. Stephen Hawking

Many people seem not to understand what “accessibility” entails. Therefore the #OneAccessibility posse have decided to create more awareness for fellow Local Guides to appreciate disability and accessibility. Every weekend we shall try to share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

What is Accessibility?Accessibility is the word used to describe whether a place , service or product can be used by people of all abilities and disabilities. For example, a train or website is accessible if all people, including abled, disabled and elderly people, can use it. 

Accessibility translates to the removal of barriers in accessing places, products and services. People with disabilities face challenges in moving around like normal people. They also experience challenges in accessing education, healthcare, employment, finance and basic needs of life. Accessibility gives everyone (able and disabled) the same opportunity. Common areas barriers include mobility, auditory, neurological, cognitive, medical, psychological and others.

According to the United Nations over one billion people live with disability. The reality is that more people will have some form as disability in the future either temporary or permanently. Increase in forms of disability can be attributed to old age, ill health, mental disorders, physical deformity, accident and armed conflict. For example an 80-year old man, amputee soldier or a child with cerebral palsy would display diverse disability.

Since we know disability is on the rise, it is important that accessibility takes precedence across the world, as soon as possible. Research has shown that people with disabilities don’t consider themselves as being unhealthy. Therefore, making our environment accessible goes a long way to enable them live a normal life.

Accessibility can be improved by installing ramps, elevators, escalators, wide doors, signage, public address systems, Braille, notice boards and dedicated parking spaces. Adding this information on Google Maps will help PwD make the right decisions. The next time you step outside, do look out for such provisions and add them to the maps by taking photos and writing reviews.

Caption: St. Brigid Catholic Church in Imo State, Nigeria (Photo: Emeka Ulor)Caption: St. Brigid Catholic Church in Imo State, Nigeria (Photo: Emeka Ulor)

The St. Brigid's Church in a rural community in Ahiazu Mbaise (in South east Nigeria) has a ramp which enables old people, women with arthritis, wheelchairs, pushchairs and people with mobility issues move without hindrance.

Here's å list of all Accessibility Uncovered Posts

Do you have a question, suggestion or contribution? Feel free to drop a comment below.

17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿

Thank you my friend @EmekaUlor for sharing another informative post about Accessiblity.

You are absolutely right, as we local guides, doing our little efforts by our contributions about Accessiblity cause like reviews , adding informations, uploading pictures, I believe that all efforts will make a great change. And if not now, but in some time people will understand the sensitivity of that issue.

You are doing great job, to lead many people for that great cause. Together we can make change, that's I believe.

Keep it up my brother.

Shukriya 🙏 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

@EmekaUlor

Thanks for sharing this certainly informative post on " Specially Abled' 

While I went to a Portuguese monumental  built around 400 years before, I could see Ramp built for usage of wheel chair. Couldn't believe it first, but realized that even at that time, the Specially Abled'  we're treated at Par.

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 9

Well done @emakahouse this is a very important issue that we all take for granted. I suggest that this camping/awareness should be also targeted at architectural fame and schools because they are the ones that designs our buildings and streets. 

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @EmekaUlor. I love that you started with Stephen Hawking's quote. He's one of the greatest possible inspirations today's generations have the chance to know about. I have been taking his wisdom as an example since the day I first heard of him as a child.

All his contributions to society are a reason by themselves for the need to solve all accessibility problems of today's infrastructure. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

"Research has shown that people with disabilities don’t consider themselves as being unhealthy. Therefore, making our environment accessible goes a long way to enable them live a normal life."

That statement is so important. I think sometimes we overlook the importance of certain areas of our lives until it becomes a threat to our actual existence and even "simple" things like road signs or rails improve accessibility for others.

Connect Moderator

@aaryesdee wow. That's quite historic. It shows how enlightened the citizens were back then. Do find out more about the monument and let's know about the accessibility of that building.

Connect Moderator

@KashifMisidia thanks for your kind words. I am happy to meet an accessibility and committed Local Guide like you.

Let's make the world more accessible!

Shukriya!

Emeka

Connect Moderator

Thank you @MAN-O  our #OneAccessibility campaign is reaching out to individuals and organisations involved in building construction and service providers. It's gradual. Meanwhile, sharing these information on your social media handle will help enlighten more people. Thanks

Connect Moderator

@IrrPavlova  Yes, Stephen was an icon and made impact during his lifetime. We need more people like him to excel and accessibility is one way to encourage this.