ChinonsoOnukwugha's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Furniture

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccessibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

When we talk about furniture in regards to accessibility, the term we’re looking for is ergonomics. In August 2000, the International Ergonomics Association Executive Council defined ergonomics as “the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of the interactions among human and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data, and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance.”

Ergonomics essentially answers the questions:

(1) Is our environment safe, comfortable and productive?

(2) Are we able to fully perform our human abilities and functions within our environment?

This is where the furniture and interior design comes in, especially since we spend much of our time in the workplace. Answering "Yes" to both questions above means that your workplace has the right system in place to offer an accessible-friendly space. Each of the photos below illustrates furniture designs that are beneficial to individuals with or without mobility issue.

Screenshot (81).png

There are some things to consider when choosing on a piece of more accessible furniture, and they include:

- Height. Chairs and tables should be high enough where if a wheelchair is needed, the individual can easily enter in and out.

- Stability. Furniture needs to be firm but also easily movable. Having arms on the chairs may or may not work depending on the environment and who it caters to (i.e. school or factory).

- Material. Selecting a material is crucial to safety. A family restaurant, for example, would not have glass-top tables as the sharp edges offer a risk whereas an adult-only restaurant can have that as risks would be minimized.

Pearlville School.jpg

Pearlville School is a private boarding secondary school in Avu-Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. The school has built-in ramps in the front that are wheelchair accessible and various furniture for those with mobility issues. Pearlville School displays a great example of ergonomics as the classrooms have different types of furniture provisions for different types of students while still considering the factors that create a conducive environment for learning.

If you have a question, suggestion or contribution, feel free to comment below. Read last week's roundup here.

Pearlville School, Nigeria
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Furniture

Hello @ChinonsoOnukwugha,

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times. You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

Thank you very much for sharing this post! I hope in the future there are more schools like Pearlville School where all the children can feel comfortable and enjoy the process of learning. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@ChinonsoOnukwugha great post! It's very informative, I'm sure many people will find it useful

Connect Moderator

9I like this post and thanks for share your ideas here @ChinonsoOnukwugha 

So helpful and informative Post this  is.

Hope you will also read about my effort h ttps://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/RECAP-Let-s-Map-Accessibility/m-p/1188777#M234475

Level 7

Thank you @Jesi and @ShafiulB!