PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Fitting Rooms

Accessibility Uncovered :  Fitting Rooms

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Recently, on a family holiday in Hawaii, I was out shopping in an H&M store in Waikiki, Hawaii when I noticed an accessibility sign on the entry of one of the stalls in the fitting room. This took me by surprise, and changed the whole way I looked at the store. It has two levels full of clothing and accessories, yet still had plenty of room around the aisles for a wheelchair to easily get through. Both the male and female fitting rooms were really big and had a reserved stall for persons with disabilities. When I looked inside I could see the change room also had rails and stools. 

AN ACCESSIBLE FITTING ROOM

A fitting room is an area or partition in a shop where clients can test clothes before buying. Usually, this is common in retail stores and tends to accommodate one person at a time. People who use the fitting rooms want their privacy.

An accessible fitting room thus is designed in such a way to help differently able to try out clothes with minimal assistance. Countries and states with disability laws have specific requirements for fitting rooms. Some of the compulsory items found in a standard fitting room include a bench, clear floor space, wall mirror and others. Please, check for required code for your area. Find time to read more about fitting rooms.

This is the first fitting room that I have personally seen, with a designated change room designed for people with special needs. 

H&M

2270 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815

(855) 466-7467

https://goo.gl/maps/hom4hPPaHYo

Do you have a question, suggestion or contribution? Feel free to comment below. Read last week's round up here

AEB9696F-3CA3-45C9-875B-EF8B9319960C.jpeg

H&M, Kalakaua Avenue, Waikīkī, Honolulu, HI, USA
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Fitting Rooms

Cool quest with great benefits to the planet and well posted @PennyChristie 

I know you will have updated Maps too. 

Only thing I'd suggest is watch how many photos you put up on Connect as each LG can only share 1,000 images.

Keep up the great work.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Remember to take them out of your album too. If you're not sure how I'll find the post Ermes wrote up that explains it for you @PennyChristie 

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Interesting topic and great discovery too. @PennyChristie @Thank you for sharing this new insight around accessibility.

Connect Moderator

Interesting topic and great discovery too. @PennyChristie Thank you for sharing this new insight around accessibility. Your photographs are pleasing too. 😃

I learned more about accessible fitting rooms and discovered that each country has specific items and code for making one. And California has a strict code which may close a retail store or prosecute owners for not complying.

@DeniGu  @MortenSI  @TraciC  

Xoxo

Emeka 

#oneaccessibility

Connect Moderator

Very interesting and new topic for me, because honestly I saw accessible washrooms here, but never saw accessible trial rooms yet.

Thank you so much @PennyChristie  , that you are doing a great job for #Oneaccessibility cause.

Shukriya 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator
Connect Moderator