Mahmur-Marganti's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Abandoned Buddhist Campus in Jambi, Indonesia

_MG_5787.jpg

Go to Muaro Jambi in Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia, you will find dozens of Buddhist temples built in the 7th century that were abandoned. There are 8 temples that have been excavated from the ground but still dozens are buried.

_MG_5672.jpg

On an area of ​​3,981 hectares, you will find the rest of life that has been stuck on the land, some of which are still visible. Ancient canals made for transportation and mobilization of temple building materials connected by the Batang Hari River are the evidence they left behind. Some students from India, Tibet, China, and some other Buddhists in Asia also study here, this is evidenced by money and some souvenirs found.

_MG_5875.jpg

Why Abandoned

A very large flood ahead of the 12th century left the impact of the great cholera at that time. Some students and teachers who inhabited the complex were no longer helped and died in this place. Some of those who have not been affected by the disease have fled and returned to their country. They left the temple complex they had built for 500 years and nature through its mechanism protected this heritage. Through land, leaves and large trees for hundreds of years.

"Koto Mahligai" Temple

_MG_5847.jpg

Koto Mahligai Temple is the name for a mound wrapped in old trees in the middle of the jungle far from the center of the temple complex that has been restored. Access to this place is also difficult. A bridge over an ancient canal connecting this area with the main ensemble area was damaged and I saw no bridge repair effort.

_MG_5857.jpg

Temples that are still embedded in this area are intentionally not excavated to show the original conditions when the temple complex was still buried by soil and thick old trees.

img_2721.jpg

UNESCO 

7 hours in this complex area, there are lots of questions that I want to ask, whether to whom. If only the rest of the magnificent building with the equipment left behind would be carefully examined, surely the remaining red thread of the Srivijaya kingdom that was connected with the Malay Kingdom and Singasari's interference and the influence of Buddhism brought from India should have been neatly exposed.

_MG_5775.jpg_MG_5837.jpg

Since 2009 this area was submitted to UNESCO to become one of the world heritage sites. It has been almost 9 years until today, the proposal was ignored by the honorable council of nations for education, science and culture.

Instead of empowering local residents to provide business opportunities by selling food, drinks and toys that they do, in my opinion it is very inappropriate in historical places that are of very high value, certainly not only for Buddhists, but for Indonesia's pride.

img_2653.jpg

Situs Muaro Jambi, Kampus Budha yang Telantar di Jambi

(Translated from Bahasa Indonesia using Google Translate)

Indonesian connoisseurs from Indonesia
Muaro Jambi, Muaro Jambi Regency, Jambi, Indonesia
16 comments
Level 10

Re: Abandoned Buddhist Campus in Jambi, Indonesia

It looks so nice and peaceful. Thanks @Mahmur-Marganti for sharing the great photos and interesting facts.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 10

thank you @TheEagleEye 

I'm glad you commented on my post

Level 6

It's an incredible site! I like your photos. I take note to visit this site in the future! Thanks for sharing!

Level 10

@Puig You’ve got to visit to Muaro Jambi Site and witness one of the most magnificient temples in Indonesia. It only takes about 20 minutes by taxi to get there from the airport. 

Google Moderator

Hi @Mahmur-Marganti,

That's such a beautiful and mysterious place. Thank you for introducing it!

I liked your story and especially your photos. You've chosen some very interesting angles. 🙂

Is it easy to get to this Buddhist campus?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you @DeniGu

To go to this site is not difficult, you can use the flight to Sultan Thaha Airport, Jambi. Many taxi services are available. From the airport to the Gate this site is around 45 minutes

I have an acquaintance, a local citizen that you can contact if you want to go to the site, you can contact me at to ask for his contact.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 09.10.40.png

Google Moderator

Halo @Mahmur-Marganti,

Wah, keren-keren fotonya. Darimana kamu tau mengenai tempat ini?, tempatnya terlihat sangat seru dan asri. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

hallo @AngieYC

selamat tahun baru yah, kita baru bersapaan lagi nih. benar, tempatnya keren dan asri. beberapa tahun lalu ada teman yang melakukan penelitian situs ini, itulah pertama kali saya langsung jatuh cinta dan memasukan situs ini ke 'bucket list' saya. Puji Tuhan kesampaian juga, karena ini masih di Sumatera, sebagai orang Sumaterakamu berutang untuk mengunjunginya loh Angie, heheh

Bayangkan Angie, dari pagi sampai sore kamu bersepeda sendiri di tempat ini, ah nikmatnya. (ada jasa penyewa sepeda di area ini)Bayangkan Angie, dari pagi sampai sore kamu bersepeda sendiri di tempat ini, ah nikmatnya. (ada jasa penyewa sepeda di area ini)salah satu jalur yang kamu lewati saat bersepedasalah satu jalur yang kamu lewati saat bersepedasalah satu foto candi yang lupa saya masukan ke artikelsalah satu foto candi yang lupa saya masukan ke artikel

Level 10

@Mahmur-Marganti Thanks for sharing. As a Buddhist, I love your post and I never thought there were Buddhist sites in Indonesia.