Dr_Mohh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

ANCIENT CITY WALLS AND GATES

As far back as 1000 years ago, most of the present cities in Northern Nigeria were fenced with walls for security reasons. The walls served as protection from external aggressions, they are also like boundaries delineating the then ancient cities. 

Kofar Kaura (Warrior Gate)Kofar Kaura (Warrior Gate)

Entry and exit of the cities were done only through gates which were been guarded by strong warriors appointed by the kings. Today, the walls are mostly ruined only the gates still stand firm and beautiful. Most of the ancient walls were destroyed by people activities in scouting for shelters; this is due to rapid population growth over the years. However, some few parts of the walls are still standing in some places.Kofa Uku (Three-Sister Gate)Kofa Uku (Three-Sister Gate)

The gates have names designated for them based on historic events that happened in relation to thegates. In the contemporary life of the people here, the gates are now the basic landmarks which help in describing certain places and serve as guides to new people into the cities.Ancient City WallAncient City Wall

These are all from a city called Katsina in the Northwestern part of Nigeria. What do you think about that?  

Katsina, Nigeria
7 comments
Level 10

Re: ANCIENT CITY WALLS AND GATES

Thanks for sharing @Dr_Mohh, nice description and photos. I hope to visit Nigeria one day.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Dr_Mohh,

Thank you for sharing your post! I have never seen before this kind of defensive walls. Are they made out of clay? From where took its name the Three-Sister Gate?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Thank you @TheEagleEye I would be glad to host you and take you round. I am sure it will be a great experience for you. 😊

Level 6

Thank you @VasT for liking my post.

Yes, the defensive walls were made out of clay. The Three-Sister Gate is called with the name because of the three opened entrance it has. There may be a history attached to the name as well but I’m yet to know it. 😊

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for your prompt answer @Dr_Mohh,

It was interesting reading about the Three-Sister Gate, I guess there must be a story behind it.

Thank you once more for sharing. I learnt something new today :).

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Barka dayau @Dr_Mohh

I'm happy to see gates of Katsina as I'm never opportuned to visit that part of Nigeria.

There are some gates that are still standing in Bauchi like this one I took the picture last Mondaywambai Gatewambai Gate

Please share with us more of Bauchi ...

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 6

Barka kade dan uwa @Sagir

Ohh yeah, Kofar Wambai. That’s a lovely one you had. Thank you so much for the comment, and Insha Allah will share more of Bauchi and its people. 😊

Best regards.