IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

A walk through my Local Guide Life!

I myself.

Hello there! It’s me Ilankovan Thushyantha.

I’m a level 5 local guides from Sri Lanka and also the owner of Batticaloa Local Guides Community. I became a local guide by coincidence but eventually, it became my passion. Travelling and Photography are my passions. I nurture my local guide life by collating it with my passion photography and travel.

I started photography when I was a teen and now I have upgraded myself into 360 photography; catching up the minute facets of it. Initially, I have been using Google maps for navigation while traveling and have been adding some photos and reviews here and there. One good day when I tried to upload a photo I found some orange star on my profile and started digging on. While reading through only I comprehended the prominence of contributing to Google maps and was super excited to continue expanding this breathing space and day by day I became an aficionado.

Ilankovan ThushyanthaIlankovan Thushyantha

I love sharing my photographs and 360 photographs on Google maps to help other travelers see the place through my lenses. Writing genuine reviews for business places, of course, helps local and foreign travelers to make significant decisions. More than everything, adding pins and editing places makes me feel like a pro who redirects the lost ones on to the right place. On the whole, being a local guide enriches my personality while nurturing my inner soul by stretching self-satisfaction.

Me and my community

Batticaloa is my birth place which is located in the Eastern province of Sri Lanka. There are many tourist attractions in Batticaloa. In good time, I coined a supported community “Batticaloa Local Guides ” gathering people with similar interests from Batticaloa area. It was an amusing experience to see much more people joining hands from Batticaloa and from various parts of Sri Lanka to take the mission forward. We had several meet-ups such as Geo-walks, Photo-walks, hangouts and several other knowledge sharing sessions to strengthen our bond and to share knowledge, experience and to disseminate practical knowledge on emerging features of Google maps. It is fun to have and interact with people who have similar interest around you.

Batticaloa Local GuidesBatticaloa Local Guides

Passing on the message

It was another exuberance to host the first ever meetup in Sri Lanka and to meet a big number of Local guides from all over the country at the National LG meetup. I stepped into another era of my local guide life from this point getting to know many other natives with similar interest. Even though Sri Lanka is a very small island, it is filled with many tourist attractions and emerging business places scattered all over the island. I realized the fact that I cannot complete this mission being one man or only with few active local guides. Therefore, I satisfy myself encouraging many others from all over the country to do the same and contribute more to Google maps.  

Batticaloa Local Guides Knowledge Sharing SessionBatticaloa Local Guides Knowledge Sharing Session

I feel so contented getting connected with so many natives with similar interests through Local guides program. We do invite each other to our meetups to share experiences. The chain gets longer and longer day by day and the spirit and passion spreads on and on.

A passionate host

I have so far hosted many meetups including Geowalks, Photowalks, Map editing, Hangouts and Knowledge sharing sessions. During the Summit 2016, I got cheered for the meetups hosted. Also, I hold the pride of hosting the first ever meetup in Sri Lanka being an owner of a supported community. 

Lagoon Trail- The first ever meetup in Sri LankaLagoon Trail- The first ever meetup in Sri Lanka

The following are some significant meet-ups, hangouts and knowledge sharing sessions I have hosted so far.

1-  lagoon trailVideo

2-  cafe talk - Video

3-  Batticaloa photowalk - Video

4-  Batticaloa Geowalk - Video

5-  National LG meetupVideo

6-  Batticaloa book donationVideo

7-  Batticaloa Map editing

8-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

9-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

10- Sri Lanka - The "36" Arugambay - Video

11- Knowledge Sharing SessionVideo

12- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - February 2017 

13- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - March 2017

14- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - April 2017 

15- Batticaloa Local Guides community moderators hangout

Some of my favorite posts

Local Guides Meet-ups I hosted in Sri Lanka in 2016

Batticaloa Local Guides Knowledge Sharing Session

12 Tips for a Successful Hangout

Local guides one on one meet up challenge!

Me and my camera

Being a passionate photographer I have an immense collection of photographs and videos shared on LG connect, G+, YouTube and other social media sites.

Me & My CameraMe & My Camera

Most of all, I didn’t miss to capture the meet-up's I have attended so far, even though they were hosted by other fellow local guides. Have a look at how my camera feasted at those meet-ups.

South Asia Meet-Up & A Trip to Kolkata

Kandy Photo Walk

Sri Lanka Local Guides - Dambulla Meetup

Anuradhapura Local Guides - Photo Walk

Sri Lanka Galle Meetup

I would like to cast my gratitude to @TraciC @CorrieD @JessicaS and others for guiding me towards to this extent. it has been a wonderful journey traveling with you all moderators and friends!

Sri Lanka
29 comments
Level 7

Re: A walk through my Local Guide Life!

Great post, Ilankovan! I enjoyed reading your post about how you evolved as a local guide. I like how you created your own community and used it to host local hangouts! 

I am still evolving as a local guide and I'm interested in finding more local guides in my area. How would you suggest I do that? I posted about a possible meet-up but haven't had any responses. 

Thanks for your post and insight into being a local guide.

Level 10

@IlankovanT Well written and tells the story of your journey as a Local Guide in an attractive way. Best of Luck !

Level 9

Hi @SeanO5555

Nice to see your enthusiasm in hosting meet-ups and gathering people with similar interests. My motto for gathering supportive members for community and meetups is "Know your audience". First of all, evaluate the invitees, know their interests and you can plan meetups based on their interests. Then there will be more people coming around. Start influencing them through your interests, this will end up as a win-win situation.

@AnuradhaP Thank you 🙂

Level 8

Hi @IlankovanT

Laudable efforts Man! The posts displays the praiseworthy effort you have put in the Local Guides Program and it will inspire many people not just from Sri Lanka but all over the world.

People like you are the one who inspires me to contribute greatly to this program.

Good Job! Keep it up!

Life is short, Give as much as you can!
Level 9

Thanks​ @Lakshay. It's great to hear this. I enjoy doing the same. 

Level 9

Wow !! What a post and what's are activities, inspiration for others, Thanks @llankovanT
Level 9

@IlankovanT you are quite the photographer! I love your posts on G+ 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

Thank you @Shirley. Check, my FB photography page also 🙂

Level 7

Very interesting story @IlankovanT. I'm a big fan of your photography. Keep it up. All the best..!