szliuyun2011's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A visit to Xili University Town in Shenzhen after 5 years

Peking University, Tsinghua University and Harbin Institute of Technology set their graduate schools in this "small" town, with a grand library where you can spend an entire afternoon if you are a "bookworm". This is the only place in the city that can attract me times and times again.

The terminal station of Shenzhen Metro Line 7 (established in Oct. 2016) is built at the outskirt of the university town, which makes the traffic more convenient:

Xili Lake Metro Station, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5.6; Exposure: 1/125 sec; ISO: 100; Focal: 35mm. No flash, no exposure bias.Xili Lake Metro Station, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5.6; Exposure: 1/125 sec; ISO: 100; Focal: 35mm. No flash, no exposure bias.

Walking along the way, the guaduate school of Tsinghua University will be the first in sight, with the image of landmark door in Beijing engraved to the wall artisticly:

Main entrance, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.Main entrance, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.The door front in Beijing, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F4.5; Exposure: 1/80 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.The door front in Beijing, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F4.5; Exposure: 1/80 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.

Below is the tallest building in Tsinghua graduate school, whose exterior wall is typically a Japanese style:

Tsinghua Building, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F9; Exposure: 1/80 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.Tsinghua Building, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F9; Exposure: 1/80 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.

Passing Tsinghua is a large two-way bridge across the small river. Many students used to sit on the benches, chatting or self-studying. They remind me of my days back in college.

知识之桥 The bridge of knowledge, by Libra Liu. 500px link: https://500px.com/photo/283291355/%E7%9F%A5%E8%AF%86%E4%B9%8B%E6%A1%A5-the-bridge-of-knowledge-by-jingye-liu?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=26266911知识之桥 The bridge of knowledge, by Libra Liu. 500px link: https://500px.com/photo/283291355/%E7%9F%A5%E8%AF%86%E4%B9%8B%E6%A1%A5-the-bridge-of-knowledge-by-ji...
The bridge of knowledge (left). Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F7.1; Exposure: 1/200 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.The bridge of knowledge (left). Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F7.1; Exposure: 1/200 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.I reached the place at the sunset hour, so I witnessed and captured the splendid scenery without hesitation. At the end of the bridge there is a with a technology library at the end (left). Back in 2012 when I lived near the town, I would spend the whole weekend inside:

Sunset over the bridge (color), by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.Sunset over the bridge (color), by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.

This is a black-and-white one, merged from 5 original photos from Photoshop:Sunset over the bridge (B&W), by Libra Liu. Original photo link:https://500px.com/photo/286102425/%E6%B7%B1%E5%9C%B3%E8%A5%BF%E4%B8%BD%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E5%9F%8E%E9%A3%8E%E5%85%89-%E9%BB%91%E7%99%BD-university-town-in-shenzhen-by-jingye-liu?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=26266911Sunset over the bridge (B&W), by Libra Liu. Original photo link:https://500px.com/photo/286102425/%E6%B7%B1%E5%9C%B3%E8%A5%BF%E4%B8%BD%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E5%9F%8E%E9...

Heading east from the bridge, there comes the graduate school of Peking University, my dream place after so many years. Her name and history are all well-known to middle school students in China. At the blue hour, the name on the building shines without neon light:Peking University Name on the roof, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5.6; Exposure: 1/60 sec; ISO: 100; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.Peking University Name on the roof, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F5.6; Exposure: 1/60 sec; ISO: 100; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.

Both Tsinghua and Peking graduate schools here are quite small compared to their headquarter campus in Beijing. Teaching buildings are tightly planned, constructed and connected. It takes a short walk to cross them. But there is still a large water-scape inside the campus, the "Mirror Lake". The water surface reflected jewel-like blue sky color at dusk, and revealed the lights and beauty of the gym at the far end:Peking University Mirror Lake, by Libra Liu. Original size photo link: https://500px.com/photo/285874165/%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B7%B1%E7%A0%94%E9%99%A2%E9%95%9C%E6%B9%96-mirror-lake-peking-univ-in-sz-by-jingye-liu?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=26266911Peking University Mirror Lake, by Libra Liu. Original size photo link: https://500px.com/photo/285874165/%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B7%B1%E7%A0%94%E9%99%A2%E9%95%9C%E6%B9%96-mi...

Peking University Mirror Lake (2), by Libra Liu. Original size photo link: https://500px.com/photo/286104159/%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B7%B1%E7%A0%94%E9%99%A2%E4%B8%80%E8%A7%92-a-corner-of-peking-uni-sz-campus-by-jingye-liu?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=26266911Peking University Mirror Lake (2), by Libra Liu. Original size photo link: https://500px.com/photo/286104159/%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B7%B1%E7%A0%94%E9%99%A2%E4%B8%80%E8%A7%92-a-...

Back in 2012 when I frequently visited the campus, I could have meals at the student canteen even as a visitor. Yet today this is impossible as I don't have a student ID card and the canteen no longer sells meal vouchers. So I have to leave here early. Before leaving I looked back, and saw glowing clouds over the dimming sky, with students' colorful bikes parked on the ground:Sunset glow and clouds over the bikes, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F4; Exposure: 1/50 sec; ISO: 100; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.Sunset glow and clouds over the bikes, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Aperture: F4; Exposure: 1/50 sec; ISO: 100; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.Perhaps this is just like those tedious but youthful days. They elapsed, and never came back.

A picture is worth a thousand words. (^_^)v

My Instagram: szliuyun2011
中国广东省深圳市南山区丽水路北京大学深圳研究生院
11 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: A visit to Xili University Town in Shenzhen after 5 years

Hi @szliuyun2011,

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

And I am sure that @TsekoV will be more then happy to give his opinion on your great post 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 8

@MoniV No worries. In fact my previous post was more like letting out some sort of depressed and anxious feelings and had little to do with photography. So I wrote this new post with more landscape photos just now, hope you and @TsekoV would like it.

Thank you for tagging me @MoniV.

I sure do like your post @szliuyun2011 and would like to know more about it. Why do you say it is a sad feeling? Is it because of the time that has passed and you want it to be back again? : ) Are you a graduate of any of those universities?

A tip that I would like to share with you is to make your subject as descriptive as possible when posting on Connect, you can review this post What makes a good post? which lays out the best practices for writing a good post on Connect.

咱们用中文聊天方便还是英文?

我想和你分享另外一个建议。在写帖子时候你只能上传你自己拍的照片或可以参考以下的文章 How do I use the Connect Photo Library?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@TsekoV  

You catched the point exactly, but not that simple.

I graduated from my college over 7 years ago, of course not from the top 2. After reaching the age of 30, I frequently feel that I have already fallen far behind of my peers and the younger, been awake on bed overnight for months. Plus a master degree in finance, accounting or STEM majors has been a must in finance industry in China.

But things are more complicated than just pursuing a degree. As you may have heard, in Chinese society there has long been an old saying called "Independence at 30(三十而立)". That is to say, a gentleman should be independent/steadfast to support the whole family at the age of 30.

Well, this is more like a powerful curse than just a proverb, causing many negative effects. Employers tend to hire young fresh graduates and regard the middle-aged as incompetent for their duty to the family and higher expectation on salary. "Only candidates under 28/30/35 will be considered" is found on recruitment ads nationwide, online and offline. I am only 5 years ahead to the 35-year "deadline", yet there are still too many to overcome and achieve. That's source of my anxiety and depressed feelings, not just "sad" as you think.

Finally, all photos you see in my posts are taken by ME, I own copyrights of them. However, I cannot upload original-size photos here due to 3072 kB limit. That's why I quote the 500px links in the caption columns - I created a large portfolio there.

P.S. Both Chinese and English are okay to me. But I am not sure if I can use Chinese to write posts, describe photos or reply comments here since this is a global community. 🙂

Hi @szliuyun2011,

Please feel free to reply in Chinese, if it will make you more comfortable. Other Local Guides can easily understand your post just by clicking the language button, to translate your post. : ) 

In my opinion having completed a master's degree in China is quite difficult on its own. This year I have just completed mine in Beijing and it was quite strenuous, but it was worth it.

As for the age expectations maybe every nation has similar beliefs, but I believe that you should follow your clock and listen to the vibes of the world.

P.S.: You have great photography skills! : ) 真了不起。 

香港离得深圳远不远?有高铁🚄吗?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@TsekoV 多谢夸奖,毕竟以前买单反、买镜头、买各式各样的器材花了不少钱,我还指望着以后修炼成专业摄影师,赚点零花钱呢。:-)

香港与深圳之间只隔着一条河(深圳河),原来是不通高铁的,一般坐地铁或者坐长途客车从陆上的边境口岸过去。后来今年9月修通了,正式名称叫作“广深港高速铁路(English: Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link)”。你可以从香港的西九龙总站坐到深圳的福田站下车,这一段还不到20分钟。维基百科上有对这条高铁的详细介绍,可供参考。

维基百科(中文):https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BB%A3%E6%B7%B1%E6%B8%AF%E9%AB%98%E9%80%9F%E9%90%B5%E8%B7%AF;

维基百科(英文):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangzhou%E2%80%93Shenzhen%E2%80%93Hong_Kong_Express_Rail_LinkWest Kowloon Railway Station in Hong Kong, snapshot from Google Maps.West Kow...

Futian Station (Railway and Metro), snapshot from Google MapsFutian Station (Railway and Metro), snapshot from Google Maps

谢谢你的解释 @szliuyun2011

两个城市离得20分钟已经挺进了。大陆的中国人要入境香港需要什么特别的手续还是可以直接坐大巴去?

Level 8

@TsekoV  有特别的手续。目前中国大陆居民因私前往香港或者澳门旅游、探亲、受训、就业、升学等,需要先向户籍所在地或者常住地公安机关申请办理《中华人民共和国往来港澳通行证》,简称“港澳通行证”或者是“港澳证”,同时需要申请前往香港或者澳门的【签注】,类似于先申请护照再申请签证出国那样。港澳通行证以前是纸质的小本本,签注打印成贴纸贴在内页,现在已经改为电子IC卡了,签注印在背面。

澳门我还没去过不清楚,去香港旅游的话可以跟团也可以申请个人游,个人游签注目前总共有【三个月一次】、【三个月两次】、【一年一次】、【一年两次(仅限香港)】和仅限深圳户籍居民办理的【一年多次(实际上是每周一次)】5种,每次在香港逗留不能超过七(7)天。

办理下港澳通行证和去香港的签注后,如果签注有效期在一年或以上,并且过去12个月出入境香港达到或超过3次,那么可以在各个陆路的香港口岸申请使用“e通道”,录入指纹与面容影像,办下来后可以走自助通道过关,不用去人工柜台。

除了上述常规途径之外,中国大陆居民如果护照上有前往第三方国家/地区的有效签证,或者是拿到了绿卡,并且持有香港出发前往该国/地区的机票,那么可以凭这两样证件过境口岸(机票+签证/绿卡),以过境的形式在香港逗留七(7)天,不需要港澳通行证。但是去了不走又原路回来的话(亦即只在香港呆),护照会被口岸工作人员标注“D.T.”或者是“D.T. 1/2/3”字样,意思是“Delayed Trip”,超过三次一般就不能持护照进香港了。

@szliuyun2011 你解释得好仔细!这些条件都很复杂。我听说深圳人经常会去香港。在香港买些机器、东西要比中国便宜,我听说无论中国还是外国人到了香港他会买给亲戚一些相机📷什么的。