ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

A small ray of sunshine - a small ray of hope

A small ray of sunshine, is what I want to talk about.

IMG_20181030_165046.jpg

A small ray of sunshine, after a week of Apocalypse. 8 to 14 millions of trees has fallen down, in five days of what has been called "the perfect storm".

I am arrived at home one week ago, on October 27, after the amazing experience of Connect Live 18.

The "red alert" was rised up on Sunday: the "perfect storm" was coming, expected to impact on the north of Italy on the following Monday. Hot and wet winds from south, encountering, over the alps, the cold wind coming from the north of Europe.

Caption: a never end storm - a view from my officeCaption: a never end storm - a view from my office

All the schools were closed for three days. 400 to 700 mm of waters, wind speed at 150 km/h in the Alps. The wind from south was pushing the water from the sea back on the rivers, causing an high tide of 1500 mm (one and a half meter) in Venice. The Basilica of San Marco has been completely flooded

Caption - Flood on San Marco Square - (photo: informarexresistere.fr)Caption - Flood on San Marco Square - (photo: informarexresistere.fr)

We are back to 1966, 52 years ago. It sounds strange to me, to read this post now "November 4, 1966 - floods in Florence and Venice - The "Angels of Mud"

A week later, a small ray of sunshine. The water is slowly flowing down, and we can make a balance of the situation

Mud, is what I have found yesterday, along the Piave river. Mud that is covering everything

DSC09838.jpg

The situation still very critical in the Alps, with a lot of landslides, and the Winter coming.

As I said, and this is the real Apocalypse, 8 to 14 millions of trees has fallen down. Trees that in part are already arrived on the seaside. Most of them are on the lakes.

Here a video, posted on youtube by Gerry de Zolt, about the situation in Val Visdende. I know the area very well, so I am very, very sad

[edit: the video cannot be embedded, but you can watch it here: https://youtu.be/or27vTVDFaw]

We are not going in the Alps now. Our presence will not be helpful in there, in this moment.

But we will follow the situation.

A small ray of sunshine, is what we are looking for.

Thank you Google Maps for updating constantly the situation of the roads. A first step of Mapping for Emergency

maps4.JPG maps3.JPG maps2.JPG Maps1.JPG

Ermes

Veneto, Italia
42 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: A small ray of sunshine - a small ray of hope

Hallo @ErmesT ,

yes, it is very sad what has happened in Italy. Maybe it is, because we humans has destroyed the world...

I believe that we will face more and more such natural catastrophes, some we can’t have an impact like earthquakes, but weather for sure and it is not enough to hope. We need to act!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

It is very sad @ErmesT, the world changes and we must change with it. The trees will grow back fortunately. The livelihood of the places buried in mud not so much. The only good news is that mud will be very fertile and provide great growing medium for crops.

Level 10

It is a sad story @ErmesT
I think so. There is no one who did not encounter a disaster.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

It is very sad situation!

More than 10 million trees has already broked. Many people lost their houses after flooding and terrible storm. 

San Marco Square was flooded. I watch the video on YouTube

It is sorrow.I always follow the channal Global News.I know about the event in Venice and in mountain region.

But hope is always! I believe ,the sun and blue sky will be over the this Italian rerion.!

I wish you a lot of sunny days ,clear sky and Iwish this situation never repeat again.

My best wishes @ErmesT 

Connect Moderator

Action is a long list of small steps, @TorM

The first step is awareness, that seems missing in several cases.

Climate change is impacting the whole planet, and I don't know if we can move it back. But for sure we can reduce the impact. With small, individual actions, and creating a global awareness

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT, I have been watching the news here about your area. The flooding in Venice, but did not know about the millions of trees! This is so sad to read. Hopefully, winter will not be so disastrous and destructive.

Glad to see you are using Google Maps to help map the current roads situation.    I’m sure this is a lifesaver for so many at this moment in need.

Stay safe, dry, and warm,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thank you @KarenVChin

Yes, the destruction is impressive. Today I was on the seaside, where the Piave river is entering on the Adriatic sea. I have no words to explain what I saw. I am just arrived home, I am downloading the photos. I will post it soon

Level 8

Hello @ErmesT sad news about beautiful Venice and all Italy. The photo from your office of the storm is both Scary and Amazing at the same time. I hope that the Basilica can be saved . It is such a shame about the millions of trees. Flooding is awful and does such lasting damage especially to peoples homes where they sometimes can not live for sometime after and the bacteria from muddy water etc. We had flash flooding a few years ago, the water did a lot of damage to my home and local area but not to the same extent as Italy. Hopefully things will improve for you all in Italy, please God. At times like this I find local communities pull together and help each other, which is one good thing to come out of these situations, human kindness. 😊

Connect Moderator

Thank you @helga19@Eire27

As I was writing minutes ago to @KarenVChin, we are just back from the Adriatic sea. A sea ot trees, leafs, garbage, plastic, is covering in this moment our beautiful beach.

DSC09891.jpg