KrithikaA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

A pleasant evening at a Wetland Park- Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka is abundantly blessed with its very own wetland ecosystems which are widely distributed across the country. Flora and Fauna of these wetland parks differ based on the altitude, distance from coast; which also defines the salinity of the adjacent water body and various other factors. Diyasaru wetland park is one of those rich ecosystems which is located in the administrative capital of Sri Lanka.

A catchy wooden name board at the entranceA catchy wooden name board at the entrance

I got a chance to visit this place with the man I married on a rainy day evening, while he was busy walking around with his 360 camera capturing the view, I stayed charmed by the good looking nature. This park has been well landscaped without disturbing the natural habitats of countless native fauna and flora. Also the species are named, which enabled me to identify them and their uses while walking around. 

I got to see many plants after a very long time. To be more precise, there were several plants that I have seen during my childhood. One of those was, this tree of Red lucky seed (Adenanthera pavonina) which we used to collect and play with these tiny little seeds when we were  kids. This is also called Saga tree and we had one in our backyard back then. My mama used to say these seeds were used to weigh gold in old ages. These come up in pods which swirls and breaks when they are ripe, then these dainty red seeds fall. 

Red lucky seeds from Saga treeRed lucky seeds from Saga tree

Being a nature lover, my eyes had many treats including lovely butterflies and dragon flies, Sri Lankan doves, myna and various other birds. The fruits and flowers of this green tinged garden were astonishing.

The "hala" fruit  of Pandanus  shrub which is a popularly known flora in both coastal and estuarine  ecosystems of Sri LankaThe "hala" fruit of Pandanus shrub which is a popularly known flora in both coastal and estuarine ecosystems of Sri LankaThat unknown flower which looked really niceThat unknown flower which looked really niceLook at those twin huts!Look at those twin huts!A selfie with that hut!A selfie with that hut!Not exactly the path to heaven, but a path to a bird watching hut!Not exactly the path to heaven, but a path to a bird watching hut!The bird watching hut!The bird watching hut!

After a relaxing walk through this muddy path, being contented by the richness of my country, I returned home. 

Look at that flower lake!Look at that flower lake!

Let my journey as a Local guide resume from this flower lake after a long dormant period! Thanks for awakening the "Local guide" in me @ErmesT@PaulPavlinovich@FaridMonti there were several unique and interesting reasons to follow each one of you. I met @ErmesT and @FaridMonti for the first time at their meet up in Sausalito. Then I met @PaulPavlinovich at the boat ride with a big team of Local guides. Also I had two women inspirations, I would say they are " women admiration" instead. One is, non other than my lovable, nerdy friend KimberlyAnnG,  who has a lot of similar thoughts as me. She is actually a mature mirror image of my personality. The  other one is @KarenVChin, who is a real world example of being a perfect mom while living your passion and thriving in your career. 

So here begins my Local guide journey. 

Diyasaru Park, Thalawathugoda, Japan Sri Lanka Friendship Road, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, Sri Lanka
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: A pleasant evening at a Wetland Park- Sri Lanka

Loved the video and your post and glad we could inspire you to continue exploring and sharing. Maybe next year you could come along as the next Local Guides couple where both get to come along. 

I have some photos of you and the little one PM me an email and I'll send to you @KrithikaA

Level 6

Oh Thanks @PaulPavlinovich! It's so exciting to return back as a Local guide. Hope to give my best. Sure! I will PM you. 

Level 3

Hello c'est très beau ...nous y allons le 18 février pour 15 jours voir ce magnifique pays .

Level 9

Welcome back @KrithikaA 🙂

Connect Moderator

@KrithikaA, wonderful post. In my mind your country, Sri Lanka, is filled with beautiful rainforests and lovely gardens with the sounds of nature, water, and wildlife in the background.

Definitely, next year you need to apply for Connect Live because I know you have a lot to share about Sri Lanka, international travel, and how parents and kids get around and what is posted on Google Maps.

Your daughter looked like she was having the time of her life when she was here. I’m sure it won’t be too difficult to convince her to visit America again. = )

Cheers,

Karen

Level 6

@Tinou

This is awesome. Let's have meetup while you're here. Please let me know when you get here.

Level 6

Thanks sir! @IlankovanT

Level 6

Thanks @KarenVChin! Seems you have read a lot about Sri Lanka and its natural resources. I wish I could take you around Sri Lanka one day. 

Of course, I will try my best to make it next time. 

Level 7

Its very interesting and nice post ,Krithika .