SenneHoekman's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

A great example of putting 'gamification' to use!

"Gamification is the application of game-design elements and game principles in non-game contexts." /Wikipedia

Since my first android phone (Galaxy s5) a few years ago I started using more and more Google services. Not only because they were actually handy in every day life, but also just to streamline using android and connecting all the dots together for even easier use. Why is this relevant? Because I want to emphasize the great changes Google has been making. In the beginning I only used Google products for their pure value and on a very basic level. Because I was new to android and I was quite young still (about 17ish) I didn't bother digging any deeper into any of the products I was using.

But then (like 1 or 2 years ago) Google really started creating original and engaging experiences and opportunities. The biggest change I found in their products now is the depth and personality they put in their software. This goes from the cleaned up, in depth YouTube analytics we now have to the combination of apps such as Agenda & Maps. Which brings us to my second favorite change, combining Google products to gain more then each app could possibly accomplish on its own.

Of course, this is what Google wants and when you say things like this you will quickly get people telling you: "Google knows everything about you" or "You might as well not have any privacy to begin with". And it might all be true, but is there any way to not have this 'problem' if you are a young internet user? It's something to think about, but not relevant in this topic. I don't mind giving some information if it helps me do things better in the end.

So this all brought me here, as a local guide user and a big fan of Google software. The fact that they 'solved' the issue of 'We need more but also better information' by letting actual people provide actual information while using a gamification system is a great (if not the perfect) way of combining big data with competition and just straight up fun.

So in the end, I am a big fan of the changes Google has been making, but I won't be THAT GUY who tells only bad about others and good about my own. Google isn't perfect, of course, just look at all the YouTube drama... But since there is not a single perfect company, I will just stick to the one who does a lot of things right, and not too many wrong.

Tessenderlo, België
1 comment
Level 9

Re: A great example of putting 'gamification' to use!

Hi Senne,

Your story is actually really quite familiar to mine, my first proper smartphone that I got was a LG Nexus 5 back in 2013 when I was just 16.  Since then I have adopted a Huawei Nexus 6P, and most recently a Pixel 2 XL.  As well as a Samusing Chromebook and a Pixel C tablet.  I too really love how easily everything integrates across all of the different Google services.
Very recently I've also been fortunate enough to get a car with Android Auto, and the difference is amazing.  All of my music, messages, calls, and navigation without having to touch my phone while driving is the most convenient and safest things I think Google has done to date.  Especially when you're driving down the motorway and Google Maps tells you to take the next exit to avoid a traffic jam and save time on your journey.

James.

Emu The Bird (James)