npishak's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Contributor

A first-timer's guide to Jakarta

True to its nickname as the “Big Durian,” a reference to the pungent spike-armored fruit ubiquitous in Southeast Asia, the sights, sounds, and smells of Jakarta, Indonesia can be quite overwhelming for first-time visitors. The capital has a pretty large geography and is divided into South, North, East, West, and Central Jakarta. With more than 10 million people living in the city and a public transportation system that is still very much under development, it’s no wonder how Jakarta got its reputation as the world’s city with the worst traffic.

On the flip side, Jakarta is an attractive metropolis home to a bevy of wonderful sites to see. Knowing what to expect and where to go makes it easier to adapt to the city’s chaos and, in the city that never sleeps, there is something for everyone. Here are some great places to start exploring Jakarta for first-timers in the city.

Sightsee at the famous Monas

Caption: A photo of the National Monument Monas in Jakarta, Indonesia, taken from afar. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of the National Monument Monas in Jakarta, Indonesia, taken from afar. (Getty Images)

Like any respectable capital, Jakarta has its own must-see landmark. The National Monument, referred to simply as Monas, was first made open to the public in 1975. The monument is a symbol of Indonesian independence and resilience, standing at an impressive 433 feet and topped off by 110 pounds of real gold in the shape of a burning flame. Enjoy the food and craft vendors located around the site’s vicinity before heading up to the monument observation deck for a magnificent view of the capital.

Explore Jakarta’s architectural history at Kota Tua

Caption: A closeup photo of the exterior of the Wayang Museum. (Local Guide Rahmat Harman Pulungan)Caption: A closeup photo of the exterior of the Wayang Museum. (Local Guide Rahmat Harman Pulungan)During Dutch colonial rule, Kota Tua was the epicenter of government affairs, which is where the area’s European-inspired facade comes from. Now its open plaza is host to locals, tourists, colorful street performers, food vendors and selfie hunters. There are multiple museums that offer a glimpse into Jakarta’s past worth visiting, like the Fatahillah Museum, the Wayang Museum, and the Fine Arts and Ceramics Museum. Once you’re done making the rounds, sit down to eat at the old Cafe Batavia, which offers a dining experience straight from Jakarta’s earlier years, or grab a bowl of Es Selendang Mayang, a popular ice dessert made from coconut milk, sugar, ice, and bits of layered cake.

Glimpse Indonesia’s rich history at the National Museum of Indonesia

Caption: A photo of the inner courtyard at the National Museum of Indonesia which features Doric order Greek architecture and many statues. (Local Guide Ignatius Roberto)Caption: A photo of the inner courtyard at the National Museum of Indonesia which features Doric order Greek architecture and many statues. (Local Guide Ignatius Roberto)

As a sweeping archipelago, Indonesia is home to 1,300 ethnic groups and 300 native dialects. Impressive, right? The country’s diversity and rich history is all on display at the National Museum of Indonesia with special exhibits taking place for periods at a time. Try to visit the museum on the weekends when its new Weekends @ the National Museum program takes place. You’ll be able to see an interactive storytelling of historical events and participate in mapping games, all accessible without any hidden fees.

Catch adrenaline-pumping rides at Dunia Fantasi theme park

Caption: A photo of amusement park rides at Dunia Dantasi taken on a partly cloudy day. (Local Guide bap)Caption: A photo of amusement park rides at Dunia Dantasi taken on a partly cloudy day. (Local Guide bap)

Located in the Ancol complex grounds, a popular beach community in North Jakarta, Dunia Fantasi has long been a big weekend getaway for visitors of all ages. Dufan, which the theme park is known as to locals, has a lot of really cool rides to check out. Some long-time favorites are the wet n’ wild mini rafting (arum jeram), the halilintar roller coaster ride, the niagara-gara water ride and, my personal favorite, the windmill (kicir-kicir). Dress comfortably and bring spare clothes if you’re interested in doing the water rides.

Shop ‘till you drop at Pasar Baru

Caption: A closeup photo of multicolored scarves for sale. (Getty Images)Caption: A closeup photo of multicolored scarves for sale. (Getty Images)If you’re looking for a place to get some really great shopping deals, look no further than Pasar Baru. It’s one of the oldest shopping markets in the capital city accented by a unique mix of Chinese and Indian cultural fixtures, which come from the surrounding immigrant communities during Jakarta’s large trading past. The complex itself is divided into three different shopping areas and has sellers hawking everything from shoes to tech gadgets and crafts. Hot tip while shopping here: always bargain lower than the first asking price and examine your purchase carefully before you close the deal.

Do you have an activity to add to this list? Share your favorite place to go in Jakarta in the comments below!

25 comments
Level 10

Re: A first-timer's guide to Jakarta

Nice post @npishak. Knowing so many things about Jakarta. Thanks for sharing this with us. 

Level 10

Thanks a lot @npishak  for share this .i add all in my maps wish list where i want to go 🙂 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Hi @npishak:

Thanks for sharing this list with us! Last year, I had the chance to have an extended visit to Jakarta before my trip to Lombok and Gili Islands.

The city is massive and traffic was... interesting to get around. But here were two places that I really enjoyed!

Museum MACAN (Modern and Contemporary Art in Nusantara)

I had a chance to see Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrored Room and it was a ton of fun. I do think that was a seasonal exhibit though, but not sure what is going on there now. There were also some other really interesting art pieces. I think the museum was newly opened when I went, so it wasn't very busy at all. I felt like I was able to enjoy the museum with just a few others!

Infinity Mirrored RoomInfinity Mirrored Room

MVIMG_20171124_103815.jpgMVIMG_20171124_103437.jpg

Textile Museum

This was another place I had gone to that I found to be quite fascinating. There is a lot of history with textile making in Indonesia and although most of the exhibit was written in Bahasa, the pieces are simply amazing. They also have batik classes, which, to my understanding, is a method of dying fabric that utilizes wax. Unfortunately we arrived too late and there were no classes when we arrived, so I suggest definitely hours if you're interested! This is something I definitely want to check out next time! The museum building itself is quite the architecture piece as well!

MVIMG_20171124_140751.jpgMVIMG_20171124_140907.jpgMVIMG_20171124_144635.jpg 

Thanks again for sharing! The national monument will be a place for me to see next time as well! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

HI @npishak, I do enjoy reading your post. Unfortunately, I didn't have anytime to visit museums when I was in Jakarta this March. Definitely your post is really helpful. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 10

Hi @npishak

Nice post!

I just want to add few interesting places

1. Thamrin City

The mall in centre of Jakarta, You can find lot of Muslimah clothes, but also You can buy Batik from all over Indonesia.

2. GRAND INDONESIA ALUN2

The mall also in centre of Jakarta, if you don't have time travel around Indonesia, inside this mall you can find souvenir shop. This souvenir shop consist of various souvenirs from around Indonesia 

Level 8

Hi @npishak Thank you so much for sharing this list and photo of Jakarta

Behind the Jakarta Building and historical and culinary places, there are many City Parks, Lakes and even City Forests (real forest)  that we can explore, to relax looking for fresh air

1. Jakarta Street Food Culinary you must try in Jakarta  https://goo.gl/maps/bJiJNYF8moR2
    Mostly open late night and they are selling food in the street / public area (Pedagang Kaki Lima) and mostly using Tent Stalls (Warung)
  2. Jakarta's City Parks
    Lis of variety of City Parks, public open spaces area in Jakarta to sit, sports, jogging, exercise and relax places https://goo.gl/maps/pKP7qfe6JNx

@Shirley nice to know you have come to the Museum Macan,  the Infinity Mirrored Room is awesome!! 

Tabebuya Park, in south side of JakartaTabebuya Park, in south side of Jakarta

Level 8

Bls: A first-timer's guide to Jakarta

You want to buy fish, squid, shrimp or seafood.

And near the fish market there are restaurants for cooking seafood. 

Pasar Ikan Muara Angke https://goo.gl/maps/68mGVQKeaiM2

IMG_20180210_165518504_HDR.jpgIMG-20180210-WA0051.jpgIMG-20180210-WA0042.jpg

Level 7

@npishak Thank you for sharing so much of information. Will be really helpful.

Google Moderator

Hello @npishak,

Thank you for sharing some highlights of Jakarta. Aside from the hustle and bustle of the metropolitan city, I do miss it a lot and luckily I am going back home soon, to taste all of the amazing foods !

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!