sonnyNg's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

A day trip to Prohodna Cave

Caption: A photo from below of the roof of Prohodna cave, with two almond-shaped holes resembling eyes. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)Caption: A photo from below of the roof of Prohodna cave, with two almond-shaped holes resembling eyes. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)

One of my favorite things to do around November is to go hiking, whether with friends or by myself. This year, I teamed up with fellow moderator @FelipePK for a picnic trip in the countryside.

We decided to visit Prohodna Cave, a cavern well-known for a unique natural feature. It took us approximately two hours to get to the location from the center of Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. We relied on Google Maps to lead us there and the route took us through picturesque small towns and villages.

Caption: A photo of the exit of Prohodna cave, with a person climbing on one of the very tall walls, and three people going out in a green meadow behind the cave. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)Caption: A photo of the exit of Prohodna cave, with a person climbing on one of the very tall walls, and three people going out in a green meadow behind the cave. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)

When we got to Prohodna Cave, we immediately understood what made this place so special.  There were two almond-shaped holes in the stone on the roof, formed due to erosion from heat and moisture, through which sunlight entered the vast cavern. Seen from a certain angle, this sight resembled a pair of eyes. This phenomenon was what gave the cave its other popular name—”God’s eyes.” A local woman shared with me and Felipe that when she looked up, she felt as if those eyes were piercing her soul. I can say I felt it, too.

Overall, the terrain inside the cavern was quite uneven, so wearing adequate footwear was a must. It was common to stop and help others pass through difficult or narrow parts. Unfortunately, I couldn’t capture all the different angles of the environment inside on my camera, because it was simply too big.

Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @sonnyNg bungee jumping from a cliff next to Prohodna Cave in 2016. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @sonnyNg bungee jumping from a cliff next to Prohodna Cave in 2016. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)

Prohodna Cave is a great place for sports enthusiasts, as it offers nice conditions for climbing and trekking. If you’re looking for something more thrilling, you can register for a bungee jump, just like I did in 2016.

The feeling of jumping off a cliff was incomparable. The world went blank in front of my eyes for a second and then I was falling almost to the ground. When the bungee rope pulled me back up, I felt as if a giant from the heavens picked me up.

Caption: A photo of a hearth made of stones in an autumn field, with chicken pieces roasting in a grill net and a container for tea placed in the stones. (Local Guide @FelipePk)Caption: A photo of a hearth made of stones in an autumn field, with chicken pieces roasting in a grill net and a container for tea placed in the stones. (Local Guide @FelipePk)

When we left the cave, Felipe and I looked for a place to sit down and have a picnic. We chose a location next to a plain field, where cars and sometimes caravans would pass by.

Making the fire was quite easy, thanks to the dry weather over the past few weeks. The day itself was sunny and the wind was weaker than we expected. We utilized the surrounding elements, like stones, sticks, and branches, and managed to build a proper fire. Soon we had  the perfect smoldering coals we needed for our cooking.

While waiting for the fire to settle down, we prepared our main dish—chicken drumsticks wrapped in bacon, with a bit of salt, pepper, and chili flakes. To go with this meal, we brought tomatoes, bread, and tea. I had also fried some eggs beforehand, to have additional protein.

As an enthusiastic camper, I can confidently say that tools are very essential for outdoor activities—whether it’s a simple knife or a special tent to protect you from hot and cold weather. For this picnic trip, I used an eco-friendly grill net, which was really useful as it didn’t require greater support than a branch we found on the ground.

Caption: A photo of the backs of Google moderators @sonnyNg and @FelipePK, enjoying a cup of tea in an open field. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)Caption: A photo of the backs of Google moderators @sonnyNg and @FelipePK, enjoying a cup of tea in an open field. (Local Guide @sonnyNg)

We had a great time talking and enjoying our outing, but as it happens with autumn days, this one soon came to an end. As the sun was setting, we packed our backpacks, cleaned up after ourselves, and set off back to Sofia.

Do you have a favorite picnic spot you recommend? Share with us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Prohodna Cave, Bulgaria
38 comments
Level 10

Re: A day trip to Prohodna Cave

Wow! You had really great time there @sonnyNg and @FelipePK! Thanks for sharing this place! The cave looks really weird, so smooth rocks..

Can't believe is so high and huge you actually bungee jumped INSIDE! Congratulations!

Level 6

super trip.... 

russell.bd
Connect Moderator

Great trip! @sonnyNg and @FelipePK

Thanks for sharing with us!

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Nice prohodave cave wonderful trip @

@sonnyNg and @FelipePK

Thanks for sharing with us!...

Thank you kindly, @LucioV@russell_BD@NareshDarji and @NirmalTeja!

It was indeed quite a process to recap this but it was also really enjoyable.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!

Hi @LucioV

Yeah, the cave is actually high enough to do bungee jumping. I confess that I was shocked when I saw it. 

Caption, one of the entrances of the cave when people can do bungee jumping.Caption, one of the entrances of the cave when people can do bungee jumping.

Caption: the moderators sonnyNg and FelipePk exploring Prohodina CaveCaption: the moderators sonnyNg and FelipePk exploring Prohodina CaveIt was a very amazing trip that I had the pleasure to share with my friend @sonnyNg. Thanks mate for the invitation.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thanks @FelipePK, until the next adventures!

I wonder if the people would still do bungee jumping during this winter time.

Thank you!

It was actually at the rear side of the cave, @LucioV.

Even though, it would have been really fascinating to have the possibility to do it inside the cave!

I was petrified for the first milliseconds, but then joy overtook the mind.

Caption: picture of Google Moderator @sonnyNg bungee jumping with close-up look.Caption: picture of Google Moderator @sonnyNg bungee jumping with close-up look.

Thank you!
Level 10

Ehehehe I know, I've jumped three times in my life! 🙂 Every time was really a cool experience!

But I never hanged using a ventral harness... every time I was hanged from the foots.