Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

A day in the mountains with a 360 Camera

I am very lucky to be able to head to Whistler in British Columbia, Canada as it is only 90 minutes by car from Vancouver. Over the weekend, I spent two days snowboarding at Whistler, it is known as the largest ski resort in North America! Here's a photo...

Coming down a runComing down a run

A week before my trip, I looked at all of my equipment that I had for a GoPro-like action camera. There were a number of different accessory pieces but I've never tried to use it for anything since I mostly used it underwater but this time, I decided to take it to the mountains with me. In addition, I also have a 360 camera, so I really wanted to give this a go. Both @HiroyukiTakisawa and @IlankovanT have great posts found here and here respectively and I looked at what they had done. They gave me some great ideas, but since I didn't want multiple mounts on my helmet, and I used one of the base for a GoPro mount (and adhesive that sticks directly to the helmet). Then I had to find a mount that would fit the 360 camera as well, via the tripod mount. 

The internet literally sells everything. This is what the part looked like: 

Tripod mount compatible with GoPro MountTripod mount compatible with GoPro Mount

Then, after I attach it to the GoPro mount, it looked like this:

Tripod mount attached to the GoPro BuckleTripod mount attached to the GoPro Buckle

The bottom with the GoPro mount can then be snapped using the buckle onto the GoPro mount that is already on the helmet. This was what I looked like in the end with the helmet and the 360 camera:

Theta V with a tripod mount that is compatible with a GoPro Mount.Theta V with a tripod mount that is compatible with a GoPro Mount.

Once this was all set, it was time to hit the mountain!! Here are some photos:Blackcomb Mountain from a Chair LiftBlackcomb Mountain from a Chair LiftWhistler Mountain from the Peak to Peak GondolaWhistler Mountain from the Peak to Peak Gondola

After warming up and doing a few runs, I decided to use the 360 camera to see how the footage will turn out.  These videos are a bit long, I tried to record about one third of the run at a time.

For this particular clip, it is at the beginning of a run from the Emerald Express. Around 3 minutes 25 seconds, I'm intentionally turned on the snow (also known as butter), not the video doing something funny.  

This is the last part of the run. There is a bit of a flat section which can be very difficult for snowboarders if they don't pick up enough speed. You'll hear me telling my friend to keep going and to bend his knees so he doesn't get stuck at the flat part. Further along, you'll hear that it gets quite loud because the snow making machines are on full blast. There is a good amount of snow, but still less than what it typically is. Also, when it has been sunny for a few days, the snow becomes very hard packed and icy and the snow making helps with the conditions. I did have a minor collision with a skier at the very end. 

Whistler Resort is actually made up of two mountains, Whistler and Blackcomb. There is a gondola that connects between them known as the Peak to Peak. My friend and I decided to ride the Peak to Peak from Whistler over the Blackcomb. We were on the glass bottom gondola, you can see a photo here. I placed the camera on the glass bottom part to try to capture what it was like below the gondola, lots of trees covered with snow!

Since this is still considered early winter season, we actually had to download on a chairlift, which is not quite the norm. We downloaded on the Excelerator Chair of Blackcomb Mountain.

If you happen to have a VR headset, definitely check out these videos with the VR headset for an immersive experience. After snowboarding with the 360 camera, I think next will be looking for an underwater housing for the camera and see where I can explore in the water. ?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Whistler, BC, Canada
37 comments
Level 10

Re: A day in the mountains with a 360 Camera

Well done @Shirley!! You are correct, you are so lucky being so close to Whistler mountains!

Nice usage of your Theta V, indeed, and congratulations for your style!

Started documenting my LG activity in 360 more than 2 years ago, it's amazing how they can send a viewer into action!

Connect Moderator

Hi @Shirley

Thank you for sharing this! Your helmet and videos are so nice! And it is one of the perfect ways to use it:-)

Is the next challenge in the water?! I'm looking forward to seeing it! And I'll try to take an interesting video with the helmet too!

Anyway, this snow mountain is beautiful. I was a ski player in the past. But if I do it now, I'll fall down soon :-))

Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi, @LucioV

The second video is a bit scary but amazingly beautiful!
After returning my home, I'll watch it again via the DayDream View.

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Shirley,

After looking at your photos and the videos that you shared I am speechless. I don't know if I have the right words to explain how great and amazed I feel by contemplating at those fascinating mountain views.

I wouldn't lie to say that after reading this post, visiting Canada's mesmerizing natural beauties is in my top list of places to go and explore. The feeling of being there is just as if you are connected to nature and being one.

Many thanks for sharing this great moment of yours and I am sure it will drive great interaction among everyone here on Connect.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Rif.: A day in the mountains with a 360 Camera

Thank you very much for the post. It is very nice. Congratulations. Have a nice day.

Level 10

Wow awesome project, Shierley! Nice photos and videos as well. 

You are right, in this case @HiroyukiTakisawa and @IlankovanT are best inspirator 😉

After reading your post I also want to do the something fun with my Tetha V.

Wait..

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Shirley,

These videos are amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing the moment with us!

I wanted to share to you also 2 places in Bulgaria where you can go skiing if you are a fan 🙂

1. Pamporovo, Bulgaria - great ski resort with very nice ski slopes, restaurants and hotels

(All photos in this post are taken by me Local Guide @KatyaL)

Caption:  A photo of high pine trees covered with snow in Pamporovo, Bulgaria very close to the ski slopesCaption: A photo of high pine trees covered with snow in Pamporovo, Bulgaria very close to the ski slopes

2. Vitosha mountain, Sofia (if you want to be close to the capital)

Skiing in the night hours is also fun and the view over Sofia is amazing!

Caption: A photo of Vitoshko lale ski slope on Vitosha mountain, Sofia region, Bulgaria during the nightCaption: A photo of Vitoshko lale ski slope on Vitosha mountain, Sofia region, Bulgaria during the nightCaption: A photo from Vitoshko lale ski slope over the town of Sofia, Bulgaria during the night hours. The lights of the city are sparkling in the dark.Caption: A photo from Vitoshko lale ski slope over the town of Sofia, Bulgaria during the night hours. The lights of the city are sparkling in the dark.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Level 9

Wow, this is awesome @Shirley, I like your videos and thank you for sharing those beautiful videos with us 🙂

your helmet looks really cool 🙂