UchechukwuEnem's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

A Welcoming Igbo Traditional Meal : Roasted Yam with Oil Bean (UKPAKA)

A Welcoming Igbo Traditional Meal : Roasted Yam with Oil Bean (UKPAKA)

Hurray! The period of August till September is usually a season for the Igbos when we celebrate the New Yam Festival Called ‘Iwa Ji’ in our dialect. The new yam festivals always begin with ceremonial roasting of whole yams either by the traditional ruler or some title members in the society.  It is a special moment when yam is always eaten often. I didn’t participate in this year’s yam festival, so I took my new yam festival at home and decided to share with our local guides how to make roasted yam with oil bean (ukpaka). The Meal is often used to welcome special visitors and to tell them they are welcome to your home. I hope you find this interesting.

*Recipes*

1. Tubers of yams
  2. Fire wood
  3. Charcoal
  4. Charcoal pot
  5. Red oil
  6. Crayfish
  7. Pepper
  8. Ukpaka (oil bean)
  9. Onions
  10. Salt
  11. Maggi
  12. Pot or fry pan
  13. Utazi leaf

Procedure one in preparing the roasted yam

1. Prepare the fire wood inside the charcoal pot and lit the fire. NB: Some people make use of the oven to do it but the local way makes it perfect, wonderful and yummyThe charcoal pot is ready to be usedThe charcoal pot is ready to be used
  2. Put the quantity of yam on top of the charcoal pot and keep turning the yam till you are sure every part has been properly roasted or touched by the fireThe roasted yam is on the charcoal pot roasting...The roasted yam is on the charcoal pot roasting...
  3. After you are sure every part has been roasted, put the yam in a bowl of water to dissolve it and make and to make it easier to peel off the back.The soaked yam ... the back of the yam is now being scrapped offThe soaked yam ... the back of the yam is now being scrapped off

Procedure two in preparing the oil bean

1. Leave the pot or fry pan to steam for sometime in order to dry the pot very well
  2. When the pot is dry, add red oil inside the pot and allow it to heat for  sometime till it is very hot DSC_0116r.jpg
  3. When it is very hot, you add the onions to fry it
  4. You can add the salt, maggi, pepper and crayfish together and stir very well immediately after you've put the onions.The onions is addedThe onions is added
  5. Leave it to steam for about 5mins then you add the ukpaka (oil beans) and still thoroughlyThe oil bean (ukpaka)The oil bean (ukpaka)The oil bean (ukpaka) is added into the potThe oil bean (ukpaka) is added into the pot6. After you’ve added the ukpaka, you leave it for 5 minutes to cook before you switch off the fireTh oil bean (ukpaka) is readyTh oil bean (ukpaka) is ready

...It’s time to dish the food, to lick your hands and to want some more…

Igbo traditional meal is readyIgbo traditional meal is readyUceey enjoys her meal with styleUceey enjoys her meal with styleMy cook, friend and assistant, Nene Florence Egbo , also with me in the kitchen sends her greetings to World Wide  Google Local GuidesMy cook, friend and assistant, Nene Florence Egbo , also with me in the kitchen sends her greetings to World Wide Google Local Guides

Awka, Nigeria
37 comments
Level 10

Re: A Welcoming Igbo Traditional Meal : Roasted Yam with Oil Bean (UKPAKA)

@UchechukwuEnem Uche don’t do this. You’re making me salivate. See me drooling over already 😋😋😋

Level 10

@UchechukwuEnem Thank you also for sharing the recipe with us. 👌

Connect Moderator

Yummmy....

Looking delicious spicy food. @UchechukwuEnem

Thanks for sharing. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

This is a yummy yummy Yam dish @UchechukwuEnem , you explain everything in details , delicious post 😁

Many thanks for your and for Nene 🙂

Level 9

Thanks you so much @NareshDarji.its really a very deliioude local meal used to welcome visitors. Thanks for your kind words

Level 9

Thank you so much @OSAMA. It's really a very delicious Yan meal. You will enjoy it

Level 6

This is a great idea 💡 

Henry Akanno
Connect Moderator

On my way coming @UchechukwuEnem 🏃🏃🏃

You can't enjoy this delicious only you. 

Thanks for sharing this with us...

Well detailed post...

Check this out @Tula

@SalmaanN 

@ValeriaA_

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 9

Thank you so much @Sagir. I really appreciate your kind words. You can come over to have a bite of the meal. It taste great. I am sure you will enjoy our welcoming Igbo traditional meal @Sagir, @TraciC, @Whatznews, @ErmesT, @Flozy, @Lexolo