AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: A Lisbon Street with a Story!

Thanks for your comment @AMaryM and I'm happy that you enjoyed my post.

Connect Moderator

As you'll most likely know @PaulPavlinovich, the trams and tram trips in Lisbon are nothing like those in Melbourne.  The Lisbon Remodelardo trams are the kind of trams you'd expect to see in a tram/rail museum. There's lots that I could say about the trams but best I save this for another post. In the meantime, we did a tram tour in Lisbon which I posted about with some tram photos in this review.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your appreciation @TravelerProdipta and oh yes you are so right about Lisbon symbolizing of renewal and rebirth. Have you visited this beautiful city?  If so what did you enjoy most about it?

Connect Moderator

Places like the castle of Obidos can be extremely difficult to get into especially during the peak periods @Niv1234.  Did you try Casa do Castelo instead?  You did a long trip from Lisbon but I'm sure you enjoyed the trip and the village which as you say is very beautiful beautiful. We came from the other way.  We were in Porto and went through Obidos when traveling along to coast to Lisbon.  Coincidentally we also had some accommodation problems in one place during our trek along the Atlantic coast. 

Level 9

@AdamGT I didn’t visit Casa do Castelo unfortunately 

Connect Moderator

Portugal is one of those countries that you can and always want to revisit @Niv1234.  From your earlier posts you saw and experienced some of the beauty of this country and it's beautiful capital city Lisbon and I'm sure that that this will entice you to one day return, I certainly hope that you will have this opportunity one day.  

Level 8

@AdamGT . I love your pictures because there is always something interesting to learn. It's my first to know the story about the earthquake in Portugal and thanks for sharing it with us.

I heard that the place where the earthquake happened before could happen again. Did you hear about it too?

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your appreciation @SunshineNY. Yes as I wrote, The Great Lisbon Earthquake was among the biggest in history and it all but flattened the city.  Interestingly, during the rebuilding of the city they discovered that in fact there was older Roman buildings below the destroyed city of Lisbon.  Could it happen again?  I discussed this briefly with @Ewaade_3A above (see the discussion here) and I said that from what I know it's rare that an earthquake happens at the same place so perhaps it's unlikely but I did mention California seems to have had quite a few earthquakes.  While we can't forecast earthquakes the way we can hurricanes or floods, fortunately today we do have Earthquake Early Warning systems 🙂

Did you know that in 2012, seven prominent scientists were convicted with manslaughter and causing bodily harm for failing to adequately warn residents before the deadly 2009 earthquake in L'Aquila, Italy?  Only in Italy hey!!! The convictions were overturned two years later on appeal!

Level 8

I never been there but I hope to visit the place @AdamGT 

Connect Moderator

I do wish that you one will one day visit Lisbon and I know you will love it @TravelerProdipta. Like many places in Portugal, Lisbon is an amazingly beautiful city.