Zino_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A Fusion of Culture through Food in Abuja, Nigeria

My friends and I dined at The Pavilion which is a restaurant in Abuja, Nigeria and we got to experience a fusion of different cultures from the West African Jambalaya to the Nigerian Ofada Rice to the English Mac & Cheese to the Jamaican Jerk Bowl and finally to the American Crispy Chicken Salad. It is an amazing to see that dining in a single restaurant in Abuja can take you on tour of different food and culture from around the world.

Caption: A fusion of different cultures captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: A fusion of different cultures captured by Local Guide @Zino_

For starters, The American Crispy chicken salad was actually great, the crispy chicken paired nicely with the honey and sriracha dressing which we all liked. The dressing was quite sweet but had a nice kick to it from the sriracha sauce. The West African Jambalaya is quite similar to the popular Nigerian jollof rice but it had chunks of shrimps, sausage and chicken. It was a really good dish and the flavours of the chicken chunks really shined through. The English Short rib mac and cheese was a bowl of cheesy goodness however I wished that there was more beef on top. Personally, I also like a bit of toasted breadcrumbs on my Mac & Cheese.

Caption: A trio of dishes from the Pavilion, Abuja. Pictured is the Short Rib Mac & Cheese, Crispy Chicken salad and West African Jambalaya. (Local Guide Zino_)Caption: A trio of dishes from the Pavilion, Abuja. Pictured is the Short Rib Mac & Cheese, Crispy Chicken salad and West African Jambalaya. (Local Guide Zino_)

Caption: Honey Sriracha sauce on Crispy Chicken salad from the Pavillion, Abuja captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: Honey Sriracha sauce on Crispy Chicken salad from the Pavillion, Abuja captured by Local Guide @Zino_

The Jamaican Jerk Bowl was quite decent, the jerk chicken was tasty and plantains were that nice "dodo" however the rice was dry and needed some kind of sauce. The star of this dish was the Jerk chicken because the Caribbean spices it was seasoned with hit straight to the bone. FYI, If you're getting the Jamaican Jerk bowl at the Pavilion, get their chilli sauce on the side. Also, instead of a mango salsa, the bowl came with a pineapple salsa.

Caption: The Jamaican Jerk bowl with Chicken and Pineapple salsa captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: The Jamaican Jerk bowl with Chicken and Pineapple salsa captured by Local Guide @Zino_

Caption: Chapman, Orange juice and a Strawberry Daiquiri at the Pavilion, Abuja captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: Chapman, Orange juice and a Strawberry Daiquiri at the Pavilion, Abuja captured by Local Guide @Zino_

Finally, the Nigerian Ofada rice was another good dish which we enjoyed. The sauce was a thick and spicy tomato based sauce which had assorted meat inckuding beef, liver and tripe and it was served in bowl while the accompanying Ofada Rice to be eaten with sauce was served in banana leaves. This dish originates from Ogun State, Nigeria and the rice is historically cooked in banana leaves but in my case at this place, the rice was served in the leaves for Aesthetic purposes. A fun fact is that at most Nigerian weddings the Ofada rice is also served in leaves.

All in all, It was a delicious feast which my friends and I enjoyed and it was indeed a fusion of different cultures in the heart of Abuja, Nigeria.

Abuja, Nigeria
12 comments
Level 9

Re: A Fusion of Culture

I am here for the ofada Rice, please! Who made ofada so Rice so white! I like this photo and your title! @Zino_ 

Level 8

Haha I'm glad you like the title and Ofada rice too @Ewaade_3A. The Ofada rice was so white and fresh, the sauce was great too!

Level 9

Stopeeet! My taste buds are standing erect and I am salivating! Who will quell this desire now? but on a more serious note, I have never seen ofada rice so white @Zino_ 

Level 8
Level 9

exactly @Zino_ 

Level 9

These pictures look yummy and delicious @Zino_ 

If I may ask why is the ofada rice on a banana or plantain leaf?

Best regards. 

Level 8

Thank you @Austinelewex. Historically, Ofada rice originated from Ogun State, Nigeria and the rice was often cooked in Banana or Plaintain leaves. It is believed to give it a subtle flavour and the leaf was used like a plate. However, nowadays the leaves are used for aesthetic purposes like the one I captured in the photo and even in Nigerian weddings, Ofada rice is often served in those leaves.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Zino_,

Thank you for sharing this with us. Could you add details about these dishes? Keep in mind that including more information in your post make them more interesting for others. 

Do you know that you can leave your review and photos of this place on Google Maps? You can do following this link Write reviews and add ratings of places.

I recommend you to have a look at this article 5 tips to consider when styling food to find out some useful tips.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Level 8

Hello @GNaz. Thank you for the tip, I'd edit this post now. Also, I've already reviewed this restaurant on Google Maps.