VinayKrishna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

A Cabbage Thoran in Kerela style and Some great Plating techniques

In this post, You will find the recipe of A Cabbage thoran in Kerela style and some great plating techniques to create more appealing plates.

The art of serving food in by using the art of presentation like processing, decorating and arranging. The decorated or well arranged plate looks more appealing than that of a regular plate. A well plated good is more eye-catchy and for me it invites me to finish the whole plate.

Basically, there are 3 methods to increase the aesthetic appeal.

1. Free form - Food is placed like a composition on the plate. Sometimes food seems like a painting due to the abstract style of placing.

2. Classic the clock method - Here the food is placed in a form of clock. The most common plate in a classic form includes a starch, a vegetable and a side dish.

A plate with clock style plating having Cabbage Thoran in left. Captured by LG VinayKrishna.A plate with clock style plating having Cabbage Thoran in left. Captured by LG VinayKrishna.

Cabbage thoran or cabbage fry is a dry vegetable dish made in Kerala cuisine. Thoran is basically finely chopped or grated vegetables cooked with shallots, chilies, fresh grated coconut and spices.

This is how i prepared this Cabbage Thoran in Kerala Style.

For this you will need:

• 1 medium sized cabbage - finely chopped or thinly sliced.
  • Shallots - 8
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 3 dried red chillies
  • A sprig of curry leaves
  • 1 inch crushed ginger
  • 1 cup grated coconut
  • Salt to taste

Procedure-

1. In a mixing bowl, add the cabbage, shallots and turmeric powder. Mix everything well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Next add coconut oil in the pan. Once the oil gets hot add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies. Once the oil is hot add curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a minute.
  3. Now add finely chopped cabbage and sauté it for two minutes on low medium heat.
  4. After 2 minute add chilli powder, salt and mix everything well.
  5. Cover the pan and let the cabbage cook for 4-5 minute on low-medium heat. This idea is to keep the cabbage slightly al dente and not make it too mushy and soft.
  6. After 3-4 minute add the grated coconut to the cabbage and mix everything well.
  7. Cook the thoran on medium heat for 1-2 minute while continuing to mix.
  8. Once done you are ready to serve the cabbage thoran.

3. Landscape form - Usually dish is placed along vertical or a horizontal line to create more appealing look.

8E45DB9E-EFB8-44D4-A538-9A65895B5823.jpeg

Some great Plating tips-

• The main-ingredient of the plate must should be in focus.

• Add support ingredients such as sauce, vegetables, green herbs to highlight the main ingredient.

• Try to use different shapes and textures to create more appealing look.

• Plates usually look appealing when there is 2 neutral colours and at least 2 bright colours.

• Make sure your plate makes sense. Never use garnish that makes no sense.

• Odd number of elements look more appealing than the even number.

• Use Plate ware wisely. The best plate colour is White.

This post is 1st part of my #GourmetGuide series on the Connect. If you will like this then i will come further with more interesting tips and recipes. 

Would you like to add some other plating tips ? Do let me know in the comments below. Also, show me your plates. 

Wander - Indulge - Eat
with Vinay Krishna
Patna, Bihar, India
50 comments
Level 9

Re: A Cabbage Thoran in Kerela style and Some great Plating techniques

Interesting info @VinayKrishna thanks for sharing. I like the classic one... what’s your favorite? 

Instagram - Google Maps Profile - #TeamTacos #México‌
Level 10

Namaskar..

@VinayKrishna 

Beautiful picture, about dishes, colour tempt to eat..

Thanks for Sharing..

Level 8

@VinayKrishna @Super adorable dish arrangement 🥰

Wei | A foodie, traveler, fun lover from Taiwan, living the dream in NYC.
My Contribution
Instagram
Connect Moderator

Hi @VinayKrishna the first image in this post seems to have been taken from the internet and is used on several websites. Please confirm you made the image and these sites are using your image?

Please avoid using images you've taken from the internet.  

Copyright and plagiarism are serious. Please read How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

Your own words and images are so much more powerful. 

Paul

Level 6

Thanks for keeping a close eye @PaulPavlinovich ! The picture is from stock images of Poetry by love and Cheese cake

stock images. I removed it. Thanks for making me aware. 

Wander - Indulge - Eat
with Vinay Krishna
Level 6

Hey @Ale_003 

For me the taste as more important as the plating. I like the free style plating technique. Have a look at this one-

22A52499-710F-4911-A31A-435A439870BD.jpeg

Wander - Indulge - Eat
with Vinay Krishna
Level 9

Amazing @VinayKrishna 🤗 Thanks for sharing.

Instagram - Google Maps Profile - #TeamTacos #México‌
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @VinayKrishna 

Thank you for your great tips. Personally I love the every form but landscape form is my favourite. The place Poetry by love and cafe is my favourite Café in lower Parel, Mumbai. I never miss this place when i visit this area. They know the best serving idea in the town. 

Look at these pictures 

A free style plating seems like a modern art.A free style plating seems like a modern art.The landscape plating style. Picture taken at Poetry love and Cheesecake.The landscape plating style. Picture taken at Poetry love and Cheesecake.

Which one is your favourite @PoliMC and @Velvel ? 

Connect Moderator

Thanks for updating the image @VinayKrishna but the next one you've used and several from the comments appear to be from other sites.

Let me be a little more direct. Only use your own images please. Do not take images from other places and use them here on Connect.

If you've got any questions please do ask.

Paul