AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

8 traditional cakes served around the world

Every day is a good day to have cake, but today you have a very special excuse --- it’s International Cake Day!

Before you cut yourself a slice, we’re taking you on a dessert tour of traditional cakes eaten around the world.

Caption: A photo of a slice of pandan cake in front of a plate of the rest of the cake. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a slice of pandan cake in front of a plate of the rest of the cake. (Getty Images)

Malaysia and Singapore: Pandan Cake

This green-colored chiffon cake is delightfully light and fluffy. It’s made with flour, eggs, vegetable oil, coconut milk, and sugar. But what really makes it special is the use of juice from the pandanus palm, an ingredient widely used in Southeast Asian cooking. This is what gives pandan cake its signature green color.

Mexico: Tres Leches

The name of this cake originates from the three types of milk used to make it: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream. Sponge or butter cake is soaked in the three-milk mixture. It’s then coated in whipped cream and often topped with fresh fruit.

Caption: A photo of two slices of tiramisu on a place with a fork in one of them. (Local Guide Ivan Cirillo)Caption: A photo of two slices of tiramisu on a place with a fork in one of them. (Local Guide Ivan Cirillo)

Italy: Tiramisu

“Tiramisu” translates in Italian to “lift me up” and that’s exactly what this delicious cake will do. To make it, ladyfingers, a type of sponge biscuit, are dipped in coffee. They’re then layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone (an Italian cream cheese). However, some modern versions use sponge cake instead of ladyfingers and add coffee liqueur to the mixture. Either method results in a sweet, caffeinated slice of beauty.

India: Mawa Cake

These cardamom-infused cakes go perfectly with a cup of tea. They’re made with “mawa,” which are milk solids made by slowly simmering milk until most of the liquid has evaporated. Each bite is beautifully soft and flavorful.

Caption: A photo of a slice of black forest cake on a plate with a fork next to it. (Local Guide Maximilian Beyer)Caption: A photo of a slice of black forest cake on a plate with a fork next to it. (Local Guide Maximilian Beyer)

Germany: Black Forest Cake

This chocolate sponge cake is the definition of decadent. It’s layered between a rich cherry filling and lots of whipped cream. To be an authentic German black forest cake, the cherry filling must be made with kirschwasser --- a brandy distilled from tart cherries. The cake is often topped off with more whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and cherries.

Australia and New Zealand: Pavlova

This meringue-based dessert was gets its name from a famous dancer: Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. Pavlova was adored all over the world for her talent and many chefs named dishes after her. After she toured Australia and New Zealand in 1926, slices of pavlova cake started showing up on plates in both countries. The cake has a crisp outer shell and a soft, marshmallow-like center. It’s often finished off with heaps of freshly whipped cream and fruit such as mixed berries.

Caption: A slice of ma lai go cake on a place. (Local Guide Hoolee L.)Caption: A slice of ma lai go cake on a place. (Local Guide Hoolee L.)

Hong Kong: Ma Lai Go

This fluffy, moist sponge cake is a go-to dessert a dim sum restaurants. It’s often made from flour, eggs, milk, sugar, and levain, a naturally aged dough that enhances the smoothness of each slice. Other cakes on this list are baked, but ma lai go is instead steamed to perfection in a bamboo basket.

United States: Angel Food Cake

This light, heavenly cake has been around in the U.S. since the 19th century. It’s made from a large quantity of whipped egg whites, flour, and sugar. It’s traditionally baked in a tube pan, which is round with deep sides and a tube in the middle that leaves a hole in the center of the cake. Topping can differ, but they’re often covered in a simple glaze or dusted with powdered sugar.

Of course, there are variations on all of these cakes, but we hope this gives you a sweet glimpse at some of the cakes people enjoy around the globe.

Now tell us: what’s your favorite kind of cake and where’s the best place to get it? Link to it in the comments below!

41 comments
Level 8

Re: 8 traditional cakes served around the world

Happy International Cake Day @AriMar

Nice yummy collection of cakes from around the world. 🙂 

Who doesn't like cake any way? 🙂 I think no one. 🙂

Cheers

Level 10

In my life most fev cake i eat in Google SF office 2016 this one

Mahabub Hasan
Level 5

My fav cake is zebra cake, and i think the best place to get it is in my mum's kitchen 💕

Level 10
Level 10

Here my contibution, have a look @AriMar:

• Cake of Belgium Beer

• Spanish three chocolate 

• German käsekuchen 

Level 10

Ohhh what a sweet post @AriMar.

Connect Moderator

@TSS, again I can’t see your pictures...

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

Yummy yummy @AriMar 🙂

@ErmesT Send me a virtual Tiramisu 😉

Connect Moderator

HaHa @OSAMA

thank you for tagging.

I can do more than sending a "virtual Tiramisù" @AriMar, I can send you a picture of the place where officially the tiramisù was invented.

I will not explain why the tiramisù has been created but the translation is correct.

IMG_20180602_174756.jpg

Connect Moderator

Gracias por compartir @AriMar, los postes son una de mis debilidades, siempre que salgo afuera a almorzar o cenar, pido un postre, es para cerrar la salida con un postre dulce y un café pequeño, aqui algunas muestras de esas delicias.

Tarta de manzana

Tarta de manzana.JPG

Selva negra de chocolate

Selva negra de chocolate.JPG

Otra versión de la tarta de manzana con semillas arriba

IMG_4529.JPG

Lemon pai de moroculla

Lemon pai de moroculla.JPG

Saludos Farid