kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

8 spooky haunted houses loved by Local Guides

Happy Halloween! This haunted holiday has a long history that is believed to date back to Celtic harvest festivals before it was picked up by the Christian Church, which considers it the prelude to All Saints’ Day on November 1. Though the reasoning varies, some cultures participate in rituals to either appease or scare away the spirits of the departed on this day, while others see it as pure fun. Here in the U.S., many dress up in costumes, seek out scare-inducing activities, and take children trick-or-treating, which essentially is just asking neighbors for candy.

Among the most popular traditions during this spooky season is visiting haunted houses. If you have yet to do anything hair-raising for Halloween, explore these frightening spots around the world that are recommended by your fellow Local Guides on Google Earth Voyager. Below are a few of our favorites.

Fuji-Q Highland (Fujiyoshida, Japan)

Part of a theme park near the base of Mount Fuji, the Haunted Hospital is one of the most popular attractions. Expect gory scenes of surgery and experiments gone wrong as well as frights that engage all five senses.

Caption: A photo of Japanese amusement park Fuji-Q Highland’s haunted house, which is a large building that is made to look decrepit hospital with high stone fences and barbed wire surrounding it. (Local Guide 木下和正)Caption: A photo of Japanese amusement park Fuji-Q Highland’s haunted house, which is a large building that is made to look decrepit hospital with high stone fences and barbed wire surrounding it. (Local Guide 木下和正)

Local Guides say: 

“Make sure you drop by here during your time in Japan if you’re down for thrilling attractions. The extremely fast roller coasters and masterly crafted haunted house are world-class.” -Local Guide Tyler Chan

Lost Souls Alley (Krakow, Poland)

Based on popular horror films, you'll need to solve a series of puzzles to make your way through this haunted house in what amounts to a terrifying game.

Caption: A creepy photo of dolls hung from a wooden beam along with sticks and other spooky decorations at Lost Souls Alley in Krakow, Poland. (Local Guide Kamil Ły)Caption: A creepy photo of dolls hung from a wooden beam along with sticks and other spooky decorations at Lost Souls Alley in Krakow, Poland. (Local Guide Kamil Ły)

Local Guides say:

“Absolutely brilliant! I'd watched videos on YouTube and saw how scared people were. I didn't think I would be but I was terrified” -Local Guide Michael Price

Taman Festival Bali, Padang Galak (Denpasar, Indonesia)

While it's not officially a haunted attraction, this abandoned theme park draws in plenty of tourists hoping to find out for themselves whether the rumors of cannibal crocodiles and a bat-filled theater are true.

Caption: A photo of a stone staircase leading up to an empty stone structure with decorative metal arches above it, covered in dirt, graffiti, and overgrown greenery at the abandoned theme park Taman Festival Bali in Denpasar, Indonesia. (Local Guide Claire Wicher)Caption: A photo of a stone staircase leading up to an empty stone structure with decorative metal arches above it, covered in dirt, graffiti, and overgrown greenery at the abandoned theme park Taman Festival Bali in Denpasar, Indonesia. (Local Guide Claire Wicher)

Local Guides say:

“This is an abandoned theme park which was turned into [a] tourist attraction. Yes, you can feel the spooky vibes around here. This place is quite big, you could spend an hour to walking around. Many cool spots to take a picture.” -Local Guide Anchu Mansyur

See the rest on Google Earth Voyager!

Do you celebrate Halloween? What’s the scariest place you’ve ever been to? Tell us in the comments below!

10 comments
Level 10

Re: 8 spooky haunted houses loved by Local Guides

@kmajewski Thanks for sharing this. In my country, there are a few places reported as "haunted", but never really proven as such. Some hotels, some resorts (won't like to mention here). People who stayed there have occasionally reported about doors opening themselves, feeling of something brushing against them at night, having the very tensed and spooking feeling all the time, and strange sounds which cannot be explained. I will certainly steer clear of these places, don't have a strong heart to go experience it. 🙂 

Level 9

Thanks @kmajewski

For sharing this with us. 

Thanks again

Cheers

Saudi local guide 🇸🇦

Level 10

@راضي I will bring you to one of these places next time you visit me 🙂 

Level 9

Hey🤣🤣 @StephenAbraham

We have similar to these kind of places In abandoned cities and some places in the desert They are really very scary places, no body can come close.

My wish to visit KL again❤️

Level 9

Wow Halloween festival nice Lost souls Alley, thank you @kmajewski sharing with us...

Level 10

Thanks @kmajewski

I am luckier .... every time I go into my daughter's room I find the same situation as the hanuted houses you have mentioned! 🙂

Bye,

David

Connect Moderator

Que gran post @kmajewski, de base puedo decir que no me gustan las películas de terror jejejej pero estas historias me dan ganas de probar un poco de suerte y desafiarme a ver si aguanto entrar en estos lugares 

saludos Farid

Connect Moderator

Wow, it's a unique post! @kmajewski