Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

8 Local Guides photos that celebrate the Lunar New Year

This year’s Lunar New Year—also called Chinese New Year or Spring Festival—begins today. The festival lasts 15 days and is filled with traditions, rituals, and excitement. It is the most important festival in China, but it’s also celebrated in many other countries around the world.

During this holiday, people celebrate with lion dances (representing the mythical Chinese monster Nian), parades, and the lighting of fireworks. Some other customs observed during this time are to decorate everything in the color red to ward off bad spirits, eat yummy foods that are considered lucky, and light lanterns in hope for a prosperous future ahead.

Here are some spectacular photos taken by Local Guides that celebrate the spirit of Lunar New Year.

1. Ba Thien Hau Temple in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Caption: A photo of traditional Chinese lion dance performers in costumes during Lunar New Year in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. (Local Guide duy trần hải)Caption: A photo of traditional Chinese lion dance performers in costumes during Lunar New Year in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. (Local Guide duy trần hải)

Photographed by Local Guide duy trần hải.

2. Sanfeng Temple in Kaohsiung City, Vietnam

Caption: A photo of the Sanfen Temple with red lanterns strung in the courtyard, taken in Kaohsiung City, Vietnam during Lunar New Year. (Local Guide 侯志中)Caption: A photo of the Sanfen Temple with red lanterns strung in the courtyard, taken in Kaohsiung City, Vietnam during Lunar New Year. (Local Guide 侯志中)

Photographed by Local Guide 侯志中.

3. The Float @ Marina Bay in Singapore

Caption: A photo of lit up animal lanterns on display in water at The Float @ Marina Bay during Lunar New Year in Singapore. (Local Guide Soon Teong Yeoh)Caption: A photo of lit up animal lanterns on display in water at The Float @ Marina Bay during Lunar New Year in Singapore. (Local Guide Soon Teong Yeoh)

Photographed by Local Guide Soon Teong Yeoh.

4. Thean Seng Keong Temple in Penang, Malaysia

Caption: A photo of the exterior of Thean Seng Keong Temple with red lanterns hanging for Lunar New Year, located in Penang, Malaysia. (Local Guide 2008Kong)Caption: A photo of the exterior of Thean Seng Keong Temple with red lanterns hanging for Lunar New Year, located in Penang, Malaysia. (Local Guide 2008Kong)

Photographed by Local Guide 2008Kong.

5. Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong

Caption: A photo of fireworks lighting up the sky for Lunar New Year in Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong. (Local Guide 翰騰林)Caption: A photo of fireworks lighting up the sky for Lunar New Year in Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong. (Local Guide 翰騰林)

Photographed by Local Guide 翰騰林.

6. 上海老城隍庙 in Shanghai, China

Caption: A photo of Chinese New Year dragon dance performers at a temple in Shanghai, China surrounded by a crowd of people. (Local Guide Chandana Gunatilake)Caption: A photo of Chinese New Year dragon dance performers at a temple in Shanghai, China surrounded by a crowd of people. (Local Guide Chandana Gunatilake)

Photographed by Local Guide Chandana Gunatilake.

7. Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA, USA

Caption: A close-up photo of a lit lantern in the design of a Chinese dragon taken during Lunar New Year at night. (Local Guide Bobbie West)Caption: A close-up photo of a lit lantern in the design of a Chinese dragon taken during Lunar New Year at night. (Local Guide Bobbie West)

Photographed by Local Guide Bobbie West.

8. Watsons Lucky Chinatown in Manila, Philippines

Caption: A photo of red, green, yellow, and orange glowing lanterns strung across a courtyard taken at night during Lunar New Year in Manila, Philippines. (Local Guide Richie See)Caption: A photo of red, green, yellow, and orange glowing lanterns strung across a courtyard taken at night during Lunar New Year in Manila, Philippines. (Local Guide Richie See)

Photographed by Local Guide Richie See.

How will you celebrate the Lunar New Year? We’d love to see your photos from the festivities in the comments below and on Google Maps.

44 comments
Level 7

Re: 8 Local Guides photos that celebrate the Lunar New Year

Hi @Christina-NYC  

Thank you for sharing the 8 Nice Pictures of chines new year ,  its also called chinese  spring  festival.  It’s one of the  biggest festival for Chinese people.   

Md Zahidul Islam Opal
Level 9

Thank you @Christina-NYC for your post! 

Excellent photos as usual in your post! I enjoy reading and watching photos!

Today is a great holiday for many local guides on China,Vietnam,Korea and other countries.

My dear friends,

I congratulate you!

Happy Lunar New Year!

Best wishes  in this year-Fun,Joy,Happiness,Peace,Love,Prosperity and Contentment!

Have a wonderful New Year!

Inga

Level 7

@Christina-NYC Thanks for sharing the Pictures, I do like especially the one of Sanfen Temple. it reminds me a famous restaurant in Kigali.

Optimistic in attitude | Photographer by Passion | Helping others Helps | Academically MBA
Level 8

Lunar New Year 🧧 🐷

B13502E6-CF0D-4B9C-A817-5BC512C3772A.jpeg

Preparing for the Lunar New Year in Xi’an 

Level 10

Re: Lunar New Year 🧧 🐷

Hope you have fun @Esthr10321, look forward to seeing your celebration photos.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Esthr10321,

Happy New Lunar Year! How did you celebrate?

I'll merge your post to this one as they referred to the same subject.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Esthr10321,

Did you celebrate the Chinese New Year in Xi'an? What was the feeling to be celebrating there? Did you ride a bike on the city walls? I got the chance to be on these walls twice, but sadly I couldn't enjoy the bike ride.

It would be great to hear how you celebrated the Spring festival. : ) 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Wonderful photos @Christina-NYC 

Thank you for sharing Lunar New Year /Chinese New Year celebration photos with us. 

Level 8

New Year's Celebration in SingaporeNew Year's Celebration in Singapore