kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

7 vegetarian restaurants loved by Local Guides

Today is World Vegetarian Day, which marks the beginning of Vegetarian Awareness Month. Whether you’re a dedicated vegetarian, an occasional participant in Meatless Mondays, or haven’t really considered the choice, we could all use more vegetables on our plates and there’s no better time to do it!

To get you started, here are seven vegetarian (and a couple vegan) restaurants that your fellow Local Guides love. Have you been to any of them?

The Butcher’s Daughter (New York City, New York)

This gorgeous restaurant is popular for brunch and offers a cheerful, well-designed space in which to enjoy its colorful dishes and juices.

Caption: A photo of a Belgian waffle topped with berries, a bowl of fruit, a bowl of fruit with milk, a coffee, a matcha latte, a orange-colored juice, and a potted succulent on a wooden table at the Butcher’s Daughter in New York City. (Local Guide Mia Maria)Caption: A photo of a Belgian waffle topped with berries, a bowl of fruit, a bowl of fruit with milk, a coffee, a matcha latte, a orange-colored juice, and a potted succulent on a wooden table at the Butcher’s Daughter in New York City. (Local Guide Mia Maria)

Local Guides say:

“Fantastic vegan and vegetarian restaurant, I had the butchers daughters burger (the normal one, not the impossible one) and added an egg. I'm not vegan or vegetarian and I love my burgers....I have to say this is one of the tastiest burgers I've ever had. Subtle and delicious flavours and very well cooked. I also had the number 2 juice, carrot and orange, again absolutely delicious…” -Local Guide John Hegarty

Haus Hitl (Zurich, Switzerland)

Named the oldest continuously open vegetarian restaurant in the world by Guinness World Records, this Zurich classic has been serving up its buffet-style fare since 1898.

Caption: A photo of a rectangular plate piled with vegetarian food including hummus, vegetables, and more on a red-and-white tablecloth at Haus Hitl in Zurich. (Local Guide Russell Horton)Caption: A photo of a rectangular plate piled with vegetarian food including hummus, vegetables, and more on a red-and-white tablecloth at Haus Hitl in Zurich. (Local Guide Russell Horton)

Local Guides say:

“A really fantastic restaurant, with absolutely delicious food. It happens to all be vegetarian, but if you were not told you wouldn’t notice. It’s a massive buffet where you can have fun making your own dream dish. Do take it easy tho, as you can quickly get to 1.3kg of food and pay 30chf. I highly recommend the cold buffet and warm mezze area. They also have a really decent coffee and nice chocolate cake to finish off with. There’s a nice terrace outside for warm weather, and inside it’s comfy and nicely lit. Enjoy!” -Local Guide Greg Pepper

Gulab Hari (São Paulo, Brazil)

This popular spot turns out Indian-inspired vegetarian and vegan dishes with a menu that changes daily.

Caption: A photo of many large and small circular stainless steel dishes filled with different types of food on a wooden table at Gulab Hari restaurant in São Paulo. (Local Guide Renan Uzum)Caption: A photo of many large and small circular stainless steel dishes filled with different types of food on a wooden table at Gulab Hari restaurant in São Paulo. (Local Guide Renan Uzum)

Local Guides say:

“There's a reason this restaurant has a near 5-star rating and more than 100 reviews. One of the absolute best places to have lunch around Av. Paulista - for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The menu changes depending on the day of the week and is 100% lactovegetarian but despite the absence of meat, the flavor more than makes up for it and meat eaters won't even notice that it's missing...” -Local Guide Andy Gamertsfelder

Gracias Madre (Los Angeles, California)

A local favorite, this tequila-fueled spot serves up meatless Mexican-inspired fare that’s all vegan and organic, complemented by a fabulous cocktail list and a nicely decorated space.

Caption: A photo of a plate of three colorful, vegan tacos topped with cilantro and a variety of sauces with pickled vegetables on the side from Gracias Madre in Los Angeles. (Local Guide Thom Uber)Caption: A photo of a plate of three colorful, vegan tacos topped with cilantro and a variety of sauces with pickled vegetables on the side from Gracias Madre in Los Angeles. (Local Guide Thom Uber)

Local Guides say:

“Very good vibes in this airy, bustling, and colorful vegan restaurant. Outdoor and indoor seating are both nice. The waiter was way cooler than us, very fun guy. The idea is brilliant: combining the strong flavors and spices of Mexican food with the less tasteful vegan substitutes such as cashew cheese. The result is original, delicious, animal and environmental friendly, and healthy. I strongly recommend to make a reservation.” -Local Guide Olivier Manhattan

Suruchi Restaurant (Delhi, India)

This traditional Gujarat and Rajasthani vegetarian restaurant is known for its thalis and for being  family-friendly.

Caption: A photo of thali from Suruchi Restaurant in Delhi, consisting of eight stainless steel bowls of different types of food on a circular stainless steel platter. (Local Guide S a)Caption: A photo of thali from Suruchi Restaurant in Delhi, consisting of eight stainless steel bowls of different types of food on a circular stainless steel platter. (Local Guide S a)

Local Guides say:

“Lovely food and courteous staff. Unlimited portions for Thalis . Relaxed and clean ambience. Worth repeating !” -Local Guide Narendra Bansal

Wild Food (Granada, Spain)

With a focus on health and being environmentally-friendly, this plant-based, organic restaurant is designed beautifully and serves photo-worthy cuisine.

Caption: A photo of soup in a wooden bowl with a topping of colorful vegetables against a dark blue background. (Local Guide Alba Artacho)Caption: A photo of soup in a wooden bowl with a topping of colorful vegetables against a dark blue background. (Local Guide Alba Artacho)

Local Guides say: 

“A great spot for breakfast, perfect of you want a healthy option that consist of more than just toasts. There's a good selection of smoothies, juices, porridge and omelettes. And the staff is very friendly and caring. And the coffee? Super good 👌 highly recommended!” -Local Guide Khalid Rashid

Lucky Leek (Berlin, Germany)

A popular spot amongst local vegans, Lucky Leek is known for its elevated dishes and superb presentation.

Caption: A photo of a slate cheese board topped with five types of vegan “cheeses” along with pieces of bread, nuts, grapes, and a type of jam in a large white spoon. (Local Guide Tobias Leenaert)Caption: A photo of a slate cheese board topped with five types of vegan “cheeses” along with pieces of bread, nuts, grapes, and a type of jam in a large white spoon. (Local Guide Tobias Leenaert)

Local Guides say:

“This is a fully vegan restaurant, but don't let that fool you. The food here is truly awesome. Me and my squad had a five course dinner which was really great. I could really recommend the cheese plate dessert, so many good ‘cheeses!’ It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. You probably need to book a table beforehand.” -Local Guide Johan Böhlin

What’s your favorite vegetarian restaurant in your city? Tell us in the comments below!

8 comments
Level 10

Re: 7 vegetarian restaurants loved by Local Guides

I enjoyed looking at those photos for sure @kmajewski. (@MiaMaria great shot!).

I am not a vegetarian but I enjoy food pictures. There is a vegetarian restaurant in my city called "Las Margaritas" and although I've never been there, I heard that it offers delicious meals!

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 9

@kmajewski omg this is a premiere for me 😍 for the first time one of my pics appeared in a post!!

Thanks so much 🤗 The butchers daughter was actually one of my favourite spots in NYC ☺️

I'll celebrate world vegetarian day with a bowl of salad and a roasted pumpkin 🙂

@ValeriaA_ thanks 🙂

I guess a vegetarian diet is not everyones diet but as I hear more and more people are deciding on doing so. 

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @kmajewski

It's super and looks so tastful being vegetarian is living healthy option even I am not vegetarian but I prefer sometime to enjoy being vegetarian.

That's very nice place and funtasfan food thanks for sharing with us 

Level 9

Such a wonderful places, really amazing Restaurants and such a delicious vegan food around the world from the local guides. Thank you all local guides who put effort in and make us aware of delicious food. Thank you too @kmajewski for for this wonderful post l.

Level 6

It's always comforting to know I'll be able to find vegetarian food no matter where I go @kmajewski! Those tacos in LA and spread in India look sooo good and it's only 9:50am where I am. 

Level 9

Thank you @kmajewski

for sharing vegetarian restaurants. 

Level 10

Rif.: 7 vegetarian restaurants loved by Local Guides

Mom how many good things .... and just now it's time for a breakfast .... but for me today unfortunately only a coffee!

Thanks and congratulations to the authors for these beautiful photos! (@MiaMaria, @ Tom Uber and @ Tobias Leenaert your photos are really perfect : it seems that they were taken from a magazin !) 

I will keep you as an example for my future shots!

Hello friends,
David

Level 9

Rif.: 7 vegetarian restaurants loved by Local Guides

@davidhyno Thanks so much 🙂

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile