aaryesdee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

66 th Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Alappuzha

Boat Race trial performance by participating  boatsBoat Race trial performance by participating boats

Boat Race trial performance by participating boatsBoat Race trial performance by participating boats

Boat Race trial performanceBoat Race trial performance

Boat Race trial performance before  final race. This year, there were 20  boats for participation.Boat Race trial performance before final race. This year, there were 20 boats for participation.

R S Dev
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
13 comments
Level 10

Re: 66 th Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Alappuzha

@aaryesdee Thanks for sharing these photos. Always nice to see posts about local cultural events. This year, the boat race has been held in November, due the the massive floods in August in Kerala. Usually the Nehru trophy boat race is held sometime in August. How was  your experience for this boat race? Are you from Kerala or just visiting there?

Level 10

I couldn't see the final boat race competition, but saw 3 days trial performance and I'm happy to see them rowing rythemetically and around 109 rows splashing water together.Great experience one should have in life while at God's own Country.This year, 66 th Nehru Trophy winner is Payippadan.They covered a distance of 1.4 km in 4.15 minutes.

R S Dev
Former Google Contributor

Hey @aaryesdee,

Thanks for sharing. Could you tell us little bit more about the Nehru Trophy Boat race? I see it has very long tradition and many people participate in it. Do they all gather from all around the country? Do they commemorate something?

You can share a little bit more about your experience being there and how you felt. By doing this many Local Guides could also feel the spirit of this race and appreciate it even more. 

A tip that I would like to share with us is that posts with more content and good photos have a good chance of being featured or chosen for a Friday Favorite post.

P.S.: Just as a reminder, don't forget when responding to others make sure to tag them (by writing @ before their names) in a post so they can receive notifications that you are communicating with them.

Have fun on Connect and see you around! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Sure. I shall follow the advice accordingly m

Thank you.

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 10

Nehru Trophy Boat Race.

It's a very popular boat race (Vallam Kali) conducted during every 2 nd Saturday in the month of August every year. This boat race started from the year 1952 and the story behind it's - Our late PrimeMinister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was facinated by this Chundan Vallam ( Snake Boat) which was towed by several people and seeing this thrilling sight, a trophy was initiated by him and since then every year this boat race is conducted band the trophy is named after him' Nehru Trophy'.

This boat race commence from Punnamada lake and it's location is known as punnamada starting point and the race distrance would be 1.4 kms and each participating boat will have around 110 rowers. The boat length measure about 100 ft. To witness the race, tourists across the World as well as locals gather there and statics recorded about 2 lacs people witnessinng it.

The participants are usually from Kuttanad and nearby villages and they are different clubs formed exclusively for this race and the participating clubs or called by the boat name have to undergo training a week prior to the race day. 

The pictures posted by me are during their training.

R S Dev
Former Google Contributor

This is very educative post @aaryesdee, thank you for explaining all those details to us.

It must have been quite an experience to be able to be there and see all those preparations, isn't it?

Sorry for not replying on Friday, but I didn't see your reply as I wasn't tagged. My suggestion is every time you would like to answer someone always be sure to add "@" in front of their names so the other Local Guide could receive a notification about it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hi @aaryesdee

Greetings from Bangladesh Local Guide!

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful and colourful photographs of Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Alappuzha. 

This type of colorful events also held in Bangladesh every year. 

Thanks again. 

LetsGuide!

Local_Guides_Footer_Pic.png

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Level 8

@aaryesdee,

Brother,

Thanks for giving a detail about the Nehru Trophy Boat Race. 

Your description was well organized and easy to understand for me. 

LetsGuide!

Local_Guides_Footer_Pic.png

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Level 10

Thank you @MdAtikuzzamanLimon

R S Dev