npishak's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Contributor

6 ways to eat durian for beginners

Caption: A photo of a fruit vendor opening a fresh durian. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a fruit vendor opening a fresh durian. (Getty Images)

If you’ve been to a Southeast Asian market, it’s likely that you’ve encountered durian. The fruit has made a name for itself among adventurous foodies due to its heavily-spiked husk, heavy meat texture, and, of course, extremely pungent smell. The odor is so bad that the durian fruit has been banned on public transportation, hotels, and airplanes, and is repeatedly referred to as “the world’s smelliest fruit.”

But durian is still enjoyed by many Indonesians because of its unique flavor. For highly-curious foodies who aren’t ready to take the leap of eating raw durian just yet, there are plenty of foods infused with the special durian flavor worth trying. Here are six ways to eat durian for the uninitiated.

Durian toast

Toast is a popular street food among Indonesians and is usually sought out as a late night bite. The dish comes in a variety of spreads and toppings, including durian, though it’s still considered a specialty flavor only available at certain vendors. The authentic durian spread used at Dapoer Roti Bakar is worth the late-night jaunt.

Durian juice or smoothie

Blending it into a silky juice or smoothie is always a great way to enjoy fruit, even durian. The classic recipe calls for condensed milk, coconut milk, ice, and chocolate syrup to top. At King Durian, this beverage is elevated through an indulgent mix of durian juice, durian ice cream, and durian custard, topped off with chunks of durian meat. As the saying goes: go big or go home!

Caption: A photo of a cup of mint raisin ice cream and a cup of durian ice cream each with a small wooden spoon at Ragusa Italian Ice Cream in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Jane Koh)Caption: A photo of a cup of mint raisin ice cream and a cup of durian ice cream each with a small wooden spoon at Ragusa Italian Ice Cream in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Jane Koh)Durian ice cream

This is a particularly popular way to enjoy durian among Indonesians and non-Indonesians, as a growing number of ice cream sellers abroad now carry durian-flavored ice cream, too. Ragusa Es Italia, an old-timey gelato haunt favored by Jakartans, offers durian as one of its premium flavor ice creams. A spoonful of this stuff and you’ll forget all about durian’s bad reputation.

Durian sticky rice

If you’re looking for a bit of savory taste in your durian dish, order a plate of durian sticky rice which features a bed of nicely-cooked sticky rice topped off with homemade durian sauce. Only a few eateries offer this dish, including Jakarta hotspot Sop Duren 88.

Durian “soup”

The dessert, called sop durian as a reference to the soupy consistency of this ice cocktail, is served at popular locale Sop Duren Addict. The cafe specializes in contemporary twists on the classic durian dish with interesting topping combos on the menu, like green beans and sticky rice, brownies and strawberries, vanilla and coffee, and, its most popular item, the matcha green durian soup.

Caption: A photo of two durian pancakes on white baking cups on a black rectangular plate on top of a menu at Sari Laut Jala Jala Kuningan City in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Febrina Paramita)Caption: A photo of two durian pancakes on white baking cups on a black rectangular plate on top of a menu at Sari Laut Jala Jala Kuningan City in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Febrina Paramita)

Durian pancakes

This dessert is made from thin crepe-like layers that are folded and stuffed with durian and, with their bright green color, are as eye-catching as they are tasty. You can enjoy these treats at Chinese restaurant chain Sari Laut Jala Jala which has built a reputation off their famous durian pancakes.

Have you ever ordered a durian dish you loved? Share your experience in the comments below!

43 comments
Level 6

Re: 6 ways to eat durian for beginners

I've tried Durian a few times now, and I just  cannot like it. It's just so foreign my mouth can't get over it. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the region where it's grown one day, and get it fresh. Thank you for sharing so many ways to try it @npishak!

Connect Moderator

I'll never forget @Shirni introducing me to durian during the 2017 LG Summit, haha. I've got to try it in different ways maybe (I only had the candy) - great feature, @npishak!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Thanks @npishak for  excellent post! It is interesting to know about this exotic fruit. 

Best wishes,

Connect Moderator

Oh my god. Why are you doing this to me @npishak . It's been a while since I ate durian pancake, and I'm craving it so bad now after looking at your pics.

In fact, give me anything durian.. I'll eat it.

Level 10

Rif.: 6 ways to eat durian for beginners

With this post you have just intrigued me @npishak ...... the first time I'll have occasion certainly will not miss to taste it !!

Thanks for photos and explanations!

Bye,

David

Level 9

I have seen this fruits in my country's local market but don't know the name. Today I have heard from you @npishak

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Former Google Contributor

That is really an eye-opening article @npishak. My mom would always encourage me to try some, eventually I got really used to it.

I may add more way to consume durian, as it can be made into little candies. It is really chewy and would stick to the teeth but I can not get enough of it.

P.S: Durian ice cream would be a new addition in my foodie wish list.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Googler

I came here to tag you, @iyudhi, but I see you're already here. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

hi @npishak, unfortunately I don't like Durian as a fruit but I like Durian as an ice cream 😃 love to read your post here!

Indonesia Local Guides