AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

5 unique hotels to check into

Most of us don’t travel just for the hotel stay, but these five incredible places might make you decide to book a trip.  

1. Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, Kenya

Caption: A photo of a woman having breakfast as a giraffe pokes its head through the window at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, Kenya. (Local Guide Jenny Liu)Caption: A photo of a woman having breakfast as a giraffe pokes its head through the window at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, Kenya. (Local Guide Jenny Liu)

Set in a 12-room manor that dates back to 1930, this boutique hotel is surrounded by lush, green gardens and charming courtyards—but the real draw is the herd of giraffes that stroll the property. Nearby is the Giraffe Centre, a sanctuary for the animals, where giraffes are able to roam freely and visit the manor. A giraffe may just poke its head through the window while you’re having breakfast during your stay.

What Local Guides say: “The most extraordinary hotel I had ever visited! A unique opportunity to spend time with the giraffes and soak up the scenery sitting in front of the manor watching them in their natural habitat.” -Local Guide Bee Nguyen 

2. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Sodankylä, Finland

Caption: A photo of a glass igloo at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Sodankylä, Finland surrounded by snow, trees, and the Northern Lights. (Local Guide Gareth Powell)Caption: A photo of a glass igloo at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Sodankylä, Finland surrounded by snow, trees, and the Northern Lights. (Local Guide Gareth Powell)

Staying in one of this resort’s alluring glass igloos will prove to be a one-of-a-kind (and cozy) way to view the Northern Lights. The igloos are made of thermal glass so you’ll stay warm while witnessing the spectacular view.

What Local Guides say: “An experience like no other, hard to describe but amazing to do. Not cheap but the memories I will take from it will stay with me forever.” -Local Guide Claire Lister

3. Conrad Maldives Rangali Island in the Maldives

Caption: A photo of the glass-enclosed underwater dining room at Ithaa Undersea Restaurant at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island in the Maldives. The walls are made of glass and you can see fish swimming above. (Local Guide Alessandro Angelotti)Caption: A photo of the glass-enclosed underwater dining room at Ithaa Undersea Restaurant at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island in the Maldives. The walls are made of glass and you can see fish swimming above. (Local Guide Alessandro Angelotti)

A luxurious oasis awaits you at this gorgeous tropical resort that spans across two private islands linked by a footbridge. Relax in your villa before heading out to snorkel or scuba dive in the Indian Ocean’s clear blue water. Once you work up an appetite, you’ll have 12 restaurants and bars on site to choose from. However, the most popular is the Ithaa Undersea Restaurant where you can watch schools of fish and other aquatic life swim by as you dine.

What Local Guides say:It's almost impossible to find a more gorgeous and luxurious place to stay. This resort went above and beyond all our expectations! We came here for our babymoon and had a spectacular time. The snorkeling was some of the best I've ever done and the options for food seemed endless.” -Local Guide Melissa Annen

4. V8 Hotel in Stuttgart, Germany

Caption: A photo of a room at the V8 Hotel with a bed designed to look like a car at a gas station. (Local Guide Michael Turtle)Caption: A photo of a room at the V8 Hotel with a bed designed to look like a car at a gas station. (Local Guide Michael Turtle)

Fall asleep at the wheel in one of V8 Hotel’s car-themed rooms, many of which have beds fashioned from real vintage automotive parts. Some of them even have working headlights! Every room is unique and creatively designed with murals and motorcar memorabilia. The V8 Hotel is located in Motorworld, a place built to excite car enthusiasts. The area is includes a classic car museum, a car-themed restaurant, car dealerships, and more. It’s definitely worth the pit stop.

What Local Guides say:Nice hotel, very creative rooms, definitely an experience to try. It’s right into the automobile mile, so plenty of luxury collection cars at sight just meters away. No individual control of the AC though.” -Local Guide Alejandro D. Slullitel

5. Book and Bed in Tokyo, Japan

Caption: A photo of a massive bookshelf with sleeping bunks tucked inside of it at Book and Bed in Tokyo, Japan. (Local Guide kewei chen)Caption: A photo of a massive bookshelf with sleeping bunks tucked inside of it at Book and Bed in Tokyo, Japan. (Local Guide kewei chen)

This quirky bookstore-themed hostel is a fun and affordable option for anyone who loves to curl up with a great read before bed. You can book a bunk behind the massive central bookshelf or choose one further away from the common area. Each one is equipped with a reading lamp, an electrical outlet, and a safe, but the real draw is the books. You can choose from around 3,200 Japanese or English titles.

What Local Guides say: “As advertised, you're able to sleep within bookshelves! Common washrooms and shower rooms are clean, and the common area is good for quiet reading. The lighting is a bit dim, but that adds to the overall ambience of the place. Polite, helpful, and efficient service as well, located close to Ikebukuro Station.” -Local Guide Karan Sondhi

What’s the most unique hotel you’ve ever been to? Tell us in the comments below!

17 comments
Level 10

Re: 5 unique hotels to check into

@AriMar Wow, it's quite amazing to read about these. I would be tempted to sleep in a bubble room underwater for sure, making me feel like Captain Nemo of sorts. And to have giraffes join me for breakfast would be crazy exciting. Thanks for sharing these. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing amazing hotels @AriMar

I want to go to Giraffe Manor in Kenya!

I concern this unique hotel in Japan. Henn na Hotel  (Official Web Site

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @AriMar

Wondering to know about these unique hotels of their own verstyle.

May be costly but  great memories having time there. Thanks for sharing this nice post. 

Level 9

wow wonderful nice to see 5 unique hotels around the world, simply beautiful post Thank you @AriMar sharing with us...

Google Editor

@HiroyukiTakisawa Oooo dinosaur robots! Definitely looks like a unique place to stay. 

Connect Moderator

@AriMar

All staffs of the hotel are robots. Of course not only that. That hotel is so funny:-)

Level 10

Level 9

Amazing hotels !

Thank you @AriMar for interesting information about  unusual hotels in the world.

Most of all I like hotel in Kenya. It is wonderful to be among wild nature and animals.

Connect Moderator

WOW...this is seriously quite the post. My jaw dropped seeing the images and reading about these unique hotels. I don't think I'll ever see hotels as the same again. Giraffe Manor sounds incredible. 

The most unique hotel I've stayed at would be the Mayfair Coconut Grove in Miami - the design of the hotel integrates nature in terms of plants and trees and fountains and its essentially an open air hotel due to that. I need to stay at more places like the locations on this list! Thanks for sharing, @AriMar

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall