kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

5 must-visit historic food markets, according to Local Guides

When visiting a new city, a great way to get to know the local cuisine is to head to a market. There, you might just discover some of the best dishes the city has to offer in bite-sized samples or mini portions meant to be eaten while strolling to the next stall.

Here are five historic food markets that let you do just that. Each of them have been recommended by thousands of your fellow Local Guides. Have you been to any of them?

La Boqueria (Barcelona, Spain)

This large public market has been around in some form since at least 1217. The current structure was built in 1840, but it has been renovated many times since.

Caption: A photo of chocolates, candies, and other sweets on display at La Boqueria in Barcelona, Spain. (Local Guide Галина П)Caption: A photo of chocolates, candies, and other sweets on display at La Boqueria in Barcelona, Spain. (Local Guide Галина П)

Local Guides say: 

“This is a delightful market. There are a lot of options for fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, nuts, candy to take away. There are also a number of restaurants that make some interesting foods to either eat on site or eat as you stroll through the market. It can definitely get busy but is well worth the visit. Since it is right off La Rambla, it makes for a great spot to stop to get out of the sun, grab some lunch and grab some snacks for later on.” - Local Guide Chris De Shane

Tsukiji Market (Tokyo, Japan)

This sprawling wholesale fish market has been around since 1935, selling over 400 types of seafood from seaweed to tuna to caviar. It consists of an inner market, where the famous tuna auctions happen, and an outer market that’s filled with small restaurants, knife purveyors, and other shops.

Caption: A photo of a stall at Tsukiji Market in Tokyo, Japan where a man is roasting fish and shellfish on skewers on a small tabletop grill. (Local Guide Kazuhisa SHIHOMMATSU)Caption: A photo of a stall at Tsukiji Market in Tokyo, Japan where a man is roasting fish and shellfish on skewers on a small tabletop grill. (Local Guide Kazuhisa SHIHOMMATSU)

Local Guides say:

“Absolutely great...Walk around the market while trying to stay out of the way of the many small vehicles and rushing market traders and watch the activity around you. More fish than most people could hope to recognize, huge tuna being broken down to the smallest most perfect sized pieces, etc.

When you have seen enough, go to one of the many restaurants at the outer edge of the market for one of the freshest sushi breakfasts that you are ever likely to eat. A great morning. Don't miss this.” - Local Guide David Thomas

Spice Bazaar (Istanbul, Turkey)

Dating back to 1660, this market’s Turkish name, “Mısır Çarşısı,” actually means “Egyptian Bazaar,” so named because it was built with money made from the Ottoman Empire’s Egyptian outpost. Today, it remains the center of the city’s spice trade with 85 stalls selling spices, sweets, souvenirs, and more.

Caption: A photo of various colorful spices and tea piled high in bins at a stall at the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. (Local Guide Vasya Konovalov)Caption: A photo of various colorful spices and tea piled high in bins at a stall at the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. (Local Guide Vasya Konovalov)

Local Guides say:

“A colorful and brilliant experience to simulate most of your senses. The smells, the tastes, the visuals. Vibrant! ...You can find multiple combinations and interesting experimental flavors of Turkish delights. Hookahs, exotic spices, food, jewelry…” - Local Guide Awais Bhatti

Borough Market (London, U.K.)

There has been a market in this space since at least the 12th century, though the building that currently houses the market was built in 1850. Londoners and tourists alike head here for fresh produce and specialty foods.

Caption: A photo of the brick arched entryway into Borough Market in London showing the large hall of vendors and shoppers in the background. (Local Guide Mercedes Findlater)Caption: A photo of the brick arched entryway into Borough Market in London showing the large hall of vendors and shoppers in the background. (Local Guide Mercedes Findlater)

Local Guide say:

“One of the best food markets in London. Love the fresh and cooked food, drinks, sweets and selected groceries here. It’s like indoor market so you don’t have to worry about weather conditions, also easy to go by underground or buses.” - Local Guide mandy ma

Mercado Central de Santiago (Santiago, Chile)

Opened in 1872, this market is known for its fresh seafood and the beautiful wrought-iron building that houses it all. It became a national landmark in 1984 and apparently has a hangover-curing broth on offer.

Caption: A photo of two stalls filled with fish for sale at Mercado Central de Santiago in Chile. (Local Guide Mauricio Ferreira da Costa)Caption: A photo of two stalls filled with fish for sale at Mercado Central de Santiago in Chile. (Local Guide Mauricio Ferreira da Costa)

Local Guides say:

“A must do in Santiago! Even if you don't like the fish smell (it is a fish market after all!). Apart from that it is a great vibrant place with many restaurants serving king crabs, ceviches, fresh fish and seafood of all sorts (there are a few meat dishes as well)...” - Local Guide Michael Francis

What’s your favorite food market? Tell us in the comments below! Then, check out even more food halls loved by Local Guides on Google Earth Voyager.

22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 5 must-visit historic food markets, according to Local Guides

Hallo @kmajewski,

my favorit food market is the old 

Hala Targowa

Piaskowa 17, 50-359 Wrocław, Polen
https://goo.gl/maps/pJzg2hU59ht

D49E0A76-421B-49DD-941A-0603D825CB81.jpeg

I like to go here and......eat 😋

And of course the participants of the European Meet Up in Kraków Poland 🇵🇱 

will see as well something like this...

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/European-Meet-Up-2018-Poland/m-p/937928#M69728

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10
Level 10

Hi @kmajewski

First of all, I considere your post really interesting.

From time to time, I usually travel around Europe and I really enjoy with the market, because not only you can taste local food and dishes but also you can take some colourfull pictures.

Have a look!

Mercado de Brujas 

Mercado de las flores Amsterdam

Mercado del Queso Gouda

I´m looking forward to discovering the Poland´s markets.

Cheers 

Level 10

Thank you for sharing @kmajewski

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 10

Nice post @kmajewski. Food is an important part of our life and it is also important that I have learned so many things from Local Guide Connect. I have some pictures from Thailand food market. 

IMG_1400.jpgIMG_1399.jpgIMG_1112.JPGIMG_1111.JPG

Level 8

Thanks @kmajewski for your great post about food markets !
If you're visiting Noumea in New Caledonia you'll find our public market. Fishermen anchor right by the Market to unload their freshly-caught fish. Locally-grown fruits and vegetables and flowers, together with many other local produce and products can be found here. The Market is also the central point for local craftspeople who display their many styles of fashion jewellery or decorations.

Locally-grown fruits and vegetablesLocally-grown fruits and vegetablesFreshly-caught fishFreshly-caught fishLocal craftspeopleLocal craftspeopleFishermen anchor right by the MarketFishermen anchor right by the Market

New Caledonia Local Guides -------------------> Do you know the city I live?
If you want to translate this content into your own language, use the Google Translate drop-down menu just below the title of this post.

Level 9

There is also S. Miguel Market in #Madrid #Spain

Mercato di San Miguel

Connect Moderator

I've been to the Central Market of Santiago, it was really nice, and as far as I remember had lots of fish. There were also some restaurants and souvenir stores dedicated to tourists.

I also like the San Telmo Market, that's here in Buenos Aires. There are stores that sell good quality vegetables and fruits in great prices. There are good butchers too. The San Telmo Market also has small restaurants and lots of antique shops.One of the small restaurantsOne of the small restaurants

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing with us @kmajewski

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

@kmajewski ,thanks for the interesting topic.

I really love the local markets! Boqueria is one of my favorites.
But I saw many interesting markets! There you can see not only unusual products, but also unusual methods of cooking.

Naha, Okinawa

Umi Budo (sea grapes)