KlaudiyaG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

5 kid-friendly places to go in Sofia

It’s still summer in Sofia, Bulgaria and the first thing that comes to mind is vacation! However, when it comes to planning the perfect holiday for my family, I sometimes struggle to find a place that not only suits everyone—me, my partner, my toddler, and our two dogs—but also allows us to stay within budget. We’re also the type of family that loves to play together and we don’t shy away from extreme activities. 

I want to share with you our five favorite places to go in Sofia, hopefully giving you and your family ideas for things to do together—especially if you’re like us and your ideal playtime together includes running, jumping, and all sorts of energy burning activities!

1. Area 52 Trampoline Park

Caption: A photo taken inside Area 52 Trampoline Park showing the trampolines and other activity areas, surrounded by orange safety mattresses. (Local Guide Vesko Mutafchiev)Caption: A photo taken inside Area 52 Trampoline Park showing the trampolines and other activity areas, surrounded by orange safety mattresses. (Local Guide Vesko Mutafchiev)

Area 52 is the biggest indoor trampoline park in Bulgaria where you and your family can enjoy various activities—from simple trampoline jumping to trying out some acrobatic moves, to  playing slamball. One of my favorite movies growing up was Space Jam and for years I’ve dreamed of doing a slam dunk, like the way basketball star Michael Jordan does in the final part of the movie. My dream became a reality when I discovered Area 52. To be honest, my slam dunk wasn’t as amazing as Michael’s but I still had a lot of fun! 

Another great thing about this trampoline park is that it has a dedicated area for toddlers. This means that if you want to grab a cup of coffee and take a break in Area 52’s coffee zone while your little one is burning some energy, you can do so without having to worry about their safety. 

Some tips: There are special family discounts every Monday through Friday from 10:00 to 16:00. If, however, you’re only able to visit Area 52 during the weekend, you can still take advantage of the same discount from 10:00 to 12:00 on Saturday and Sunday.

2. Walltopia Climbing Center

Caption: A photo of two people taking a break among the many different climbing walls inside Walltopia Climbing Center which have glowing jug holds in various colors. (Local Guide Svilen Marchev)Caption: A photo of two people taking a break among the many different climbing walls inside Walltopia Climbing Center which have glowing jug holds in various colors. (Local Guide Svilen Marchev)

I find rock climbing a great sport, although many of my friends seem to be afraid to try it because they think that they don’t have enough experience or upper body strength. I didn’t know how to do it either, but luckily I found the right place to learn—Walltopia Climbing Center. The reason why I recommend this place is that the people working there are very  knowledgeable and have the right approach. 

When it comes to climbing courses, there’s something for everyone—from novice and advanced climbers to toddlers. Kids love going to Walltopia, because even if they’re too tired to climb, they can always use the safety mattresses to make a fortress. 

Some tips: Walltopia offers auto-belay devices which allow visitors to climb without a balancing partner. Also, you can choose climbing courses via a mobile app, so don’t leave your phone in the locker.

3. Kokolandia

Caption: A photo of a wooden bridge, part of a ropes course in Kokolandia, set between green trees. (Local Guide Antonio Tavares)Caption: A photo of a wooden bridge, part of a ropes course in Kokolandia, set between green trees. (Local Guide Antonio Tavares)Kokolandia is a great place to visit when the weather is warm because it’s located outdoors in the oldest and best known park in Sofia—Borisova Gradina Park. Kokolandia offers different ropes courses, bungee and trampoline jumping for kids, wall climbing, mini golf, and more. The place is quite popular and it’s been around for so long that I still remember going there when I was a child. Now I enjoy this wonderland with my daughter! 

Most attractions in Kokolandia support adult weight, too, so feel free to hop on an obstacle course among the trees with your kid. Even though Kokolandia is old, it’s been renovated and everyone’s safety is ensured.

Some tips: I recommend you wear comfortable clothes and shoes when visiting Kokolandia, especially if you’re thinking of trying some of the fun activities yourself. It’s best to avoid wearing dresses and skirts. Also, if you’re going early in the morning, make sure to grab a sweater or a coat because it’s usually chilly before noon.

4. Korali Swimming Pool

Caption: A photo of an inflatable swan floating in a pool at Korali Swimming Pool, with a bar and several umbrellas and sunbeds behind it. (Local Guide Ivo Dimitrov)Caption: A photo of an inflatable swan floating in a pool at Korali Swimming Pool, with a bar and several umbrellas and sunbeds behind it. (Local Guide Ivo Dimitrov)

Do you like swimming? I personally love it and so does my family. Unfortunately, Sofia isn’t located close to an ocean or other body of water, so our only option are swimming pools. The city boasts a large number of indoor pools, but my favorite one is outdoors. Korali Swimming Pool can be found by the beautiful Pancharevo Lake in the small village of Pancharevo right outside Sofia.

The best thing about Korali is that it’s open all year round. The temperature of the water is between 29-34ºС, which means that you can swim outside even in the cold winter days. When I was a teenager, my dad and I would stop by the pool to warm up after snowboarding all Saturday morning in the mountains above Borovets. Korali has a cave pool and two big pools—one for children and one for adults—each equipped with a water slide.

Some tips: Unless you like the crowd, it’s best to go there after 16:00 in the summer to enjoy some quiet time with your family. There are usually a lot of people and children groups before that time.

5. Muzeiko

Caption: A photo of a child looking through a fish-head shaped exhibit at Muzeiko. (Local Guide Alexander Potapov)Caption: A photo of a child looking through a fish-head shaped exhibit at Muzeiko. (Local Guide Alexander Potapov)Even though I left it for last, Muzeiko is actually my favorite museum in Sofia. It aims to inspire kids to learn, discover, and explore science and history through over 100 interactive exhibitions and games, created for children and adults alike. Constructing space rockets and exploring the depths of the ocean are just some of the interesting things you can do there. Sounds exciting, right? My 3-year-old daughter likes the paleontology section best, where she learns about what paleontologists do and how big dinosaurs used to be. Who wouldn’t want to compare their feet to those of a dinosaur?

Some tips: Muzeiko often organizes children events with different themes, so my recommendation is to check their official website before visiting. There you can find all the latest news and future planned activities.

Which are your favorite places to go with your family? What activities do you like doing together? Tell us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Sofia, Bulgaria
27 comments
Level 10

Re: 5 kid-friendly places to go in Sofia

@KlaudiyaG That Area52 trampoline park looks very enticing. Will definitely go and pretend I'm a kid again when I visit 🙂 

That's what I'm usually doing, @StephenAbraham. 😄 I don't know if you are going to believe me, but there were times when we (the grown ups) were having more fun that the kids. It was priceless.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hello @KlaudiyaG thanks for share with us. Very nice place all kids should like it. 

Level 8

@KlaudiyaG Kokolandia would be a perfect place for me as I'm an outdoor person. It is nice that most attractions also support adult weight as I'm not a kid anymore. 🙂 I wish to visit your country some days. Thank you for sharing this nice post about kid-friendly places in Sofia with us.

Connect Moderator

A very intersting post @KlaudiyaG and from a number of different angles.  Firstly, from your post I get the strong impression that Sofia is quite advanced in its thinking and provision of venues for families and individuals to enjoy as well as exercise and keep fit.  The Walltopia Climbing Center looks amazing.  Bouldering is a lot of fun.  When you said there’s something for everyone—from novice and advanced climbers to toddlers so do you mean it has various grade bouldering walls for different level climbers?  From your photo it looks like there are some great overhangs for intermediate to advanced routes!

Thank you so much @Ant_Bad_Yogi and @bdmafuz for the lovely words! I'm so happy to hear that you both enjoyed my post. 🙂 Are there any places in your city similar to the ones that I mentioned for kids or even grown ups that you would like to share?

Connect Moderator

These all look like fun @KlaudiyaG be careful with the trampoline park, I know a person who damaged their spine leaping from trampoline into a foam pit.

Paul

Level 8

@KlaudiyaG Thank you for your reply. Here is a place in my area that is kid-friendly one. I visited it 3 months ago. It's a cafe and farm that kids can enjoy farming activities such as feeding chicken, collecting chicken's eggs, making salted eggs and planting the rice. Unfortunately I don't have any photos to share here. If I have a chance to visit it next time, I'll take some and share them with you and other LGs here.

Level 7

@KlaudiyaG

Vielen Dank, dass du deine Erfahrungen und Ideen mit uns geteilt hast. Die Out-door-Anlage hat es mir besonders angetan.