kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

5 New York City spots decked out for the holiday season

Christmas is just around the corner and plenty of bars and restaurants in New York City are getting into the holiday spirit with decorations and special menu items. But for some, a simple wreath and twinkle lights just aren’t enough. Here are five bars and restaurants recommended by your fellow Local Guides that go all out for Christmas.

1. Rolf’s

Caption: A photo of the inside of Rolf’s, a German bar and restaurant in New York City, during Christmas time, showing the extensive Christmas decorations hanging from the ceilings and walls. (Local Guide T Szawkalo)Caption: A photo of the inside of Rolf’s, a German bar and restaurant in New York City, during Christmas time, showing the extensive Christmas decorations hanging from the ceilings and walls. (Local Guide T Szawkalo)

This German bar and restaurant in Gramercy is known for its overwhelming holiday decor that covers the walls and ceilings in a thick layer of baubles, fake icicles, and lights. The decorations stay up until May, extending yuletide cheer into spring.

2. Mace 

Caption: A photo of a cocktail in a mug in the shape of Santa’s legs and a cocktail in an old-fashioned-looking eggnog mug sitting on the bar at the Christmas pop-up at Mace bar in New York City. (Local Guide Amanda Spurlock)Caption: A photo of a cocktail in a mug in the shape of Santa’s legs and a cocktail in an old-fashioned-looking eggnog mug sitting on the bar at the Christmas pop-up at Mace bar in New York City. (Local Guide Amanda Spurlock)

During the rest of the year, Mace is a normal East Village bar. But come Christmastime, it transforms into Miracle on 9th Street—a winter wonderland with Christmas-themed cocktails in Christmas-themed cups and plenty of Christmas decor. 

3. Lillie's Victorian Establishment 

Caption: A photo of Christmas garlands, wreaths, baubles, lights, and more hanging inside of Lillie's Victorian Establishment, a Victorian-style pub in New York City. (Local Guide Alaa Ahmed)Caption: A photo of Christmas garlands, wreaths, baubles, lights, and more hanging inside of Lillie's Victorian Establishment, a Victorian-style pub in New York City. (Local Guide Alaa Ahmed)

Though Lillie’s is considered a pretty unique spot year-round owing to its Victorian details, during Christmas this spot gets even cozier with festive decor and seasonally appropriate cocktails.

4. Pete’s Tavern

Caption: A photo of the inside of Pete’s Tavern in New York City during Christmastime, showing the red string lights that cover the ceiling and Christmas decorations on the bar. (Local Guide Bartosz Andrzej Roman)Caption: A photo of the inside of Pete’s Tavern in New York City during Christmastime, showing the red string lights that cover the ceiling and Christmas decorations on the bar. (Local Guide Bartosz Andrzej Roman)

This old-school staple has been in continuous operation since 1864. During the Christmas season, Pete’s goes all out, covering the ceiling with red Christmas lights and serving warming cocktails from the festive-looking bar.

5. Milon 

Caption: A photo of the inside of Milon, an Indian restaurant in New York City, showing the many Christmas lights and chili pepper lights hanging from the restaurant’s ceiling and gift-wrapped walls. (Local Guide Claudia Meneses Rojas)Caption: A photo of the inside of Milon, an Indian restaurant in New York City, showing the many Christmas lights and chili pepper lights hanging from the restaurant’s ceiling and gift-wrapped walls. (Local Guide Claudia Meneses Rojas)

It’s always the holidays at this Indian joint, but the question is which holiday. With Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling and gift wrap covering the walls, you’d be hard pressed to find a more festive space no matter what you’re celebrating.

Do you have a favorite festive bar or restaurant in your city? Tell us about it in the comments below!

11 comments
Level 7

Re: 5 New York City spots decked out for the holiday season

loved this post!♡

Connect Moderator

@kmajewski These are the awesome colorful festival pics for holidays in New York. 

I love these photos.

Here is one of my photo captured during a Friday holiday in Dhaka.

IMAG1919~2.jpg

------------
Level 9

What a beautiful post @kmajewski

So amazing and beautiful photos ,wonderful decorations in the restaurant!

I think it is a great pleasure to visit such festive place.

Thank you very much for sharing such beautiful place.

Have a nice festive mood and excellent Christmas holiday!

IMG_20181202_122706.jpgIMG_20181202_121608.jpg 

My favourite café ''SHALYAPIN'' in hotel Metropol.

Google Moderator

@kmajewski I read your post and smile. These places look so festive! I guess there is no such thing as enough Christmas decorations. 🙂

@helga19 the hotel is decorated beautifully. It shows class. Thank you for sharing. 

Unfortunately I am not aware of a restaurant or a bar in my city that has so many lights, garlands and ornaments. If I find one, I will share it here. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Merry Christmas @MoniDi, @kmajewski

With warm ,friendly wishes for Christmas!

May this Christmas be full of  moments of warmth,love,happiness,joy!

May the coming year bring you contentment and success!

Have a happy holiday!

Level 8

Hello @kmajewski

Merry Christmas:)

Amazing Photography, Thanks For Shearing 🙂

Level 9

Thank you @kmajewski for your informative post. All the images are fascinating. Thanks to all local guides who shared their marvellous Christmas photos with us.

Google Moderator

Hey @helga19,

Thank you for the kind wishes.

My Christmas was festive and full of joy. I received a lot of presents from my family and friends and we had a wonderful time. How was your holiday?

I am waiting for the New Year's Eve when we are going to celebrate the upcoming 2019. 

PS. I have deleted the photo from your post as it was not your own. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thank you @MoniDi for your reply.

I am glad to hear that your holiday was perfect.I also visited a lot of nice  Christmas party and markets.

In Russia we celebrate Christmas only in January ,6 and 7.

I wish you happy holiday ,festive mood and excellent New year party.Christmas party at memorial estate  F.Shalyapin.Christmas party at memorial estate F.Shalyapin.