thanks for great tips
Level 10

回應: 4 ways your photos help guide others

LGs not only contribute to Google Maps but also make the world betterl:((

Local Guides from Taiwan.

My LGs profile➤https://www.google.com.tw/maps/contrib/101643820823137654634/◀

Level 6

Re: 4 ways your photos help guide others

How I would add accessibility photos would be to capture locations that are Deaf and Hard of Hearing friendly! If an employee at the shop knows ASL, I'd include it in my review. If the location has touch screen or visual friendly menus, I'd include that. If the venue has captions on the television, I'd also include that!

Level 1

Thank you so much in highlighting the features people with disabilities love to know.

For others wanting to help, some pointers to help the disabled...

• Do they have menus for the people who aren't blind but can't see well (visual snow, for example. Others have a cognitive blindness, where they may not recognize half a menu exists, as they don't see it and think it doesn't exist). Those menus high above the counter can be completely unreadable to some disabled. Not just because of fine print. Colors can clash and/or be almost invisible. If it's a national chain, does their website have a podcast menu? Please tell.
  • Lighting. Are areas well lit; or is it a romance-like environment with candles? At night how is the lighting in the parking lot and upto the door, too?
  • How's the table arrangement and access areas in size? Not only wheelchair users have problems trying to get around. Those with other assistive devices (i.e., forearm crutches and canes) need a wider clearance to walk than wheelchair users, as our assistive devices don't fit around us (we need about at least 6 inches wider on each side). A photo of the dining area helps a ton to figure out how to negotiate the maze.
  • Restrooms. Not a glamorous topic, but mentioning how many even is a blessing. Those of us with IBD conditions knowing this in advance is the difference of becoming a patron or not. A busy restaurant with one bathroom ... ah!

If you can get into a habit to take photos and videos like that, you will actually help MANY groups of people often left out in the community.

(Please Google help the disabled with a spellcheck that doesn't flag "assistive" as being spelled wrong, too! Assistive devices is indeed a term to describe our devices that keeps us independent! -- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assistive)

Level 10

Some other examples of useful photos that Local Guides should take and upload to share.

Parking rates for each location. Example below.

Bus timings for important locations, especially where tourists visit

Photos of opening hours of locations, especially tourist locations