Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

4 ways your photos help guide others

People often take photos because they are experiencing something interesting and want to document that moment. Photography is a powerful communication tool that can stir our emotions, but it can also be informative.  

I’m amazed by the ways Local Guides like you are using photography to make a positive impact. The photos you share on Google Maps provide helpful information to others who visit that same location. From accessible entrances to gluten-free dishes, the photos you share on Google Maps can help others find great places to go that suit their needs.

Here are some amazing ways Local Guides are using photography to help others.

1. Capturing accessibility

Caption: A photo of an accessible parking spot near an escalator in a parking garage in Isla Cristina, Spain. (Local Guide Alejandra B)Caption: A photo of an accessible parking spot near an escalator in a parking garage in Isla Cristina, Spain. (Local Guide Alejandra B)

Local Guides are making a difference around the world by capturing accessible information wherever they go and sharing those photos on Google Maps. Whether it’s railings in restrooms or wheelchair-accessible ramps, these images help aid people with mobility issues in navigating to where they want to go.

Caption: A photo of an outdoor accessible ramp next to stairs at MNC Studios in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Suparno Jumar)Caption: A photo of an outdoor accessible ramp next to stairs at MNC Studios in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Local Guide Suparno Jumar)

2. Photographing kid-friendly locations

Caption: A photo of a children’s toy cars and jungle gym equipment at Chevy Chase Recreation Center, Washington, D.C., USA. (Local Guide Mike Samras)Caption: A photo of a children’s toy cars and jungle gym equipment at Chevy Chase Recreation Center, Washington, D.C., USA. (Local Guide Mike Samras)Finding great places to go with your kids in an unfamiliar place can be challenging. Local Guides show parents kid-friendly things to do through their photos of jungle gyms, museum exhibits, and more. At restaurants, photos of high chairs or a kid’s menu show that it accommodates families with children. These photos make it easier for parents to discover places to spend quality time with their kids.

Caption: A photo of a variety of strollers parked inside the Zimmer Children's Museum in Los Angeles, California, USA. (Local Guide Amir Khamesi)Caption: A photo of a variety of strollers parked inside the Zimmer Children's Museum in Los Angeles, California, USA. (Local Guide Amir Khamesi)

3. Documenting pet-friendly places

Caption: A dog on a leash walking on a field with hills in the background at Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park in Scotland, U.K. (Local Guide Scott Mcginty)Caption: A dog on a leash walking on a field with hills in the background at Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park in Scotland, U.K. (Local Guide Scott Mcginty)

As a “dog mom” to a chihuahua-terrier, I love taking my dog with me on my adventures whenever possible. Pet owners like me look at the photos and reviews Local Guides share on Maps to discover great parks, restaurants, and more to go to with our furry friends!

Caption: A photo of two corgis sitting on the floor next to two occupied tables at La Lumière 路靡也, a restaurant in Taichung City, Taiwan. (Local Guide Ryan Lin)Caption: A photo of two corgis sitting on the floor next to two occupied tables at La Lumière 路靡也, a restaurant in Taichung City, Taiwan. (Local Guide Ryan Lin)

4. Taking great photos of food for people with dietary restrictions

Caption: A photo of a person across the table from a vegetable dish, holding a fork over a bowl of salad at The Butcher’s Daughter, a vegetarian restaurant in New York City. (Local Guide Marcela Turner)Caption: A photo of a person across the table from a vegetable dish, holding a fork over a bowl of salad at The Butcher’s Daughter, a vegetarian restaurant in New York City. (Local Guide Marcela Turner)

Another way Local Guides are making a positive impact through photography is by capturing meals that people with dietary restrictions can eat at restaurants. Some examples include gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan dishes. Most of my family is vegetarian and vegan, and seeing photos of fresh, healthy meals captured by Local Guides can help us know where to go eat!

Caption: A variety of colorful gluten-free Vietnamese dishes with chopsticks and a fruit drink at Little V Den Haag, a restaurant in The Hague, Netherlands. (Local Guide Benjamin Richardson)Caption: A variety of colorful gluten-free Vietnamese dishes with chopsticks and a fruit drink at Little V Den Haag, a restaurant in The Hague, Netherlands. (Local Guide Benjamin Richardson)

How do the photos your share on Google Maps make a positive impact? Tell us in the comments below!

35 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 4 ways your photos help guide others

Thank you @Christina-NYC for this post

How not to agree with you. I love to help people in several way, with a special attention for

Accessibility: https://goo.gl/maps/TAEdPYfBg322

Environement: https://goo.gl/maps/riHSeCf6wmk

and Nature, of course: https://goo.gl/maps/BMCUmHyB5wA2

Level 10

Hello @Christina-NYC
You are right. It is what you pointed out that photogenic pictures too mass-produced will live in a true sense.

CIMG5533_R.JPG 

This is a tsunami evacuation slope.
You can see that a manual wheelchair must be too flat to climb alone.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

Thanks a lot @Christina-NYC . me always try to upload this type photos . just share with you one . 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

When I visited Azerbaijan, I noticed how the city is so well planned keeping mind the access for all
Have a look at my post: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/Azerbaijan-Travel-and-Importance-of-acce...

Level 8

I like these Google programs and I try to participate in them.

Seward, Alaska.
Children's playground and special parking near the Oceanarium.

Connect Moderator

@Christina-NYC Its really great informative and helpful post. Yes, our Local Guides are always very helpful, friendly and eco-friendly.

I also tried to do something for reduced mobility. 

Wheelchair parked in Bangladesh folk art & craft museumWheelchair parked in Bangladesh folk art & craft museumAccessible ramp on Bangladesh folk art & craft museumAccessible ramp on Bangladesh folk art & craft museum Lets Map Accessibility!

Happy Guiding!

Level 6

very useful! 🙂

Level 9

Wow one post 4 useful photography tips thank you @Christina-NYC sharing with us...

Level 9

Thank you for this great post @Christina-NYC 🙂

I always like to help people uploading accessibility, nature, kids friendly etc photos to GM. I'm sharing few here 🙂

Accessibility

IMG_20171103_104420.JPG

Kid-friendly locations

PANO_20180914_055331.JPG

Nature Photos

IMG_20181027_134149.JPG

Food photos

IMG_20181027_152851.JPG

Rural Related

IMG_20181110_083314.JPG