annaroth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

4 tips for creating better lists

Caption: A screenshot of two San Francisco restaurant lists created by Google Local Guides.Caption: A screenshot of two San Francisco restaurant lists created by Google Local Guides.Throughout Connect Live 2018, I’ve shared my tips for making your contributions stand out. One of the best ways to help others discover great places to go is by creating a great list on Google Maps.

Collect all your favorite spots into a list, which can be a master class in a city or town: the top spots to buy souvenirs to bring home, the best cheap lunches in your neighborhood, the hotels with the most stylish rooftop bars.

Here are four tips for making lists others will love.

1. Think of a creative, one-of-a-kind theme

The best lists are specific and distinctive, whether it's finding cool knitting stores, discovering hikes with amazing views or seeking out the best French fries in your city.

2. Give it a fun, lively title

The most important part of a list is the title—it’s the first thing people read and draws them in. Think about the type of title that you’ve like to see, and have fun with it. Some examples:

• Craziest ice cream flavors in SF
      • London’s 10 quaintest pubs
      • Most famous churches of Goa

3. Explain why each place is on the list

Use the description fields to give readers insider tips about the what time a day to visit a bridge or rooftop for the best views, what you absolutely must order at a restaurant or how to score the best deals at your favorite thrift store.

4. Include at least 5 places on your list

The sweet spot is between 8-15 places, but sometimes more makes sense.

Have you shared a great list of your favorite places on Google Maps? Link to it in the comments below!

153 comments
Level 9

Re: 4 tips for creating better lists

many thanks & welcome @annaroth

i will suggest an idea to make a connect academy or Local guides courses 😄 really we learn great tips to improve our and other map experience 

Level 9

Nice tips @annaroth thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

Very useful tips @annaroth, Here is my list for Museum, Arts and Crafts in Siem Reap City https://goo.gl/maps/UGBRqLdeGrP2

Level 7

Thank you for shearing @annaroth and this was my list. Ancient Places in Anuradhapura.

Connect Moderator

Loved attending your session, @annaroth - there are varying levels of creative potential available when creating lists and I will be focusing on this going forward. Thank you!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Useful tips for all @annaroth thank you for sharing with us...

Level 4

Helpful.... Thanks @annaroth !

Connect Moderator

@annaroth I've visited Tokyo many times in the past few years since I always have a layover there whenever I go back home. Instead of looking for the shortest layover, I try to find the longest layover as possible. As a huge gamer, one of my obsessions recently is to find gaming themed cafes in Tokyo. Right now the list name is pretty bland, but I'm taking suggestions 🙂

Check out my list below:

Themed Cafes & Bars in Tokyo

Level 10

Rif.: 4 tips for creating better lists