DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

4 places to enjoy seafood in Sofia

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to study in Japan. There, I was introduced to the diversity of seafood and immediately fell in love with it. During the two years I spent there, I learned more names of sea creatures and seaweed and tried more varieties of fish than I have in my whole life before that.

I’m back in Sofia, Bulgaria now, but fish has stuck as an important part of my diet. I always make sure to try the fish dish on the menu wherever I go.

If you ever find yourself in Sofia, here are my favorite restaurants to enjoy delicious seafood, prepared in four different ways.

1. Umami

Caption: A photo of a platter with various sushi rolls at Umami in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of a platter with various sushi rolls at Umami in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

While in Japan, I developed a taste for raw fish. I’ve tried a few sushi restaurants in Sofia, but the one I keep going back to is Umami. It’s not just the atmosphere—the place is located in a spacious garden, with the main structure built to resemble a pavilion floating on a lake—but also the quality of the ingredients.

One of my favourite dishes here is salmon tartare. This is a light appetizer of raw freshly chopped salmon meat with seasoning. The plate comes with a splash of spiced mayonnaise, which adds even more flavour. I never forget to get Umami’s special matcha bread for spreading the tartare, too.

A visit to this restaurant is not complete without enjoying the chef’s sushi set—an all-signature sushi rolls platter. With a mix of salmon, tuna, shrimps, crab meat, avocado mousse, mayonnaise, and a special spicy paste, this selection has something for every seafood lover. Some of the rolls are even slightly fried, adding to the diversity of tastes.

2. Saffron Indian restaurant

Caption: A photo of a bowl of curry sauce with prawns and a bowl of yellow rice in the background at Saffron Indian restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of a bowl of curry sauce with prawns and a bowl of yellow rice in the background at Saffron Indian restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Another way to enjoy seafood is with thick tomato sauce and spices. One of the most highly-rated Indian cuisine restaurants in Sofia is Saffron. It might be located a bit far from the city centre, but the ambience of the place transports me even further. With colourful scarves and lamps hanging from the ceiling and shiny metal ornamentations of elephants and Indian deities, I feel like I’m stepping into a different world.

The seafood dish I love the most here is Jhinga masala—prawns in mildly spicy curry sauce. All meals are based on original Indian recipes, and diners can choose the level of spiciness they prefer. I usually take my Jhinga masala with almost no additional spice.

This dish is best paired with a fluffy naan or steamed white rice. On my last visit, I tried fried rice with turmeric and raisins, whose sweetness greatly balanced the richness of the Jhinga masala.

3. The Old House - Iztok

Caption: A photo of a grey plate with tagliatelle pasta, topped with prawns, mussels, with a cherry tomato at The Old House-Iztok in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of a grey plate with tagliatelle pasta, topped with prawns, mussels, with a cherry tomato at The Old House-Iztok in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Seafood and pasta? Yes, please! The Old House—Iztok offers original Italian meals to enjoy in the setting of a quaint little restaurant on a small street in Rome, Italy, with its chequered tablecloths and wooden chairs in different colours.

At this restaurant, I’ve tried one of the best tagliatelle pastas in Sofia complete with mussels, prawns, squid, and cherry tomatoes. The pasta has just the right texture—soft, but not overcooked, and the seafood is freshly brought in on the day its served.

If I still have some room left after enjoying this delicious big portion, I always opt for a piece of homemade biscuit cake, generously covered in melted chocolate.

4. The Old House

Caption: A photo of grilled gilthead bream with a fresh green salad, cucumbers, and red turnips on the side at The Old House in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of grilled gilthead bream with a fresh green salad, cucumbers, and red turnips on the side at The Old House in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

A popular way to prepare fish in Bulgaria is on the grill. Every traditional restaurant serves at least two or three types of grilled fish—mainly mackerel, trout, and carp.

The Old House bears the same name as the previous place, but don’t be mistaken—you’re in for some traditionally Bulgarian gastronomic treat. The place is located on a side street in the relative centre of Sofia, but it attracts a considerable crowd. Most evenings, I need to book a table to enjoy a casual dinner in a homey atmosphere.

My favourite fish dish to order here is the grilled gilthead bream with a fresh green salad on the side. The white fish meat is soft and juicy and combines perfectly with the crunchiness of the cucumbers.

Where do you love to go to enjoy seafood in your area? Share with us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Sofia, Bulgaria
86 comments
Level 10

Re: 4 places to enjoy seafood in Sofia

@DeniGu

Lovely review.

Appreciate.

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 10

Thank you for introducing sushi in detail @DeniGu

Yes, we evaluate most of the food with umami😋
Sometimes umami has a strong raw smell (kusami), but there are still many people who give priority to umami.

CIMG1345 (2).JPGCIMG1350 (2).JPG 

This is the place Genroku sushi of birth of sushi rush.

Japanese and foreign sushi have different shapes🍣

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

回應: 4 places to enjoy seafood in Sofia

Everytime I saw sushi I Pushh:((

Best seafood in the world ever~!!

Local Guides from Taiwan.

My LGs profile➤https://www.google.com.tw/maps/contrib/101643820823137654634/◀

Google Moderator

Hi @aaryesdee,

Thank you for your kind words! 🙂

What's your favourite way to enjoy seafood?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hi @YasumiKikuchi,

Yes, sushi has various shapes in restaurants outside Japan. To be honest, nothing beats the deliciousness of authentic Japanese sushi! 🙂

I loved going to conveyor-belt sushi places, and I'm definitely going to try the Genroku sushi restaurant next time I visit Japan. 🙂

Have tried sushi abroad? What do you think about the taste?

Level 10

Yes @DeniGu, the other day I tried American sushi on Connect Live. It was a fine flavor that established their own culture. Delicious!😋

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Es tan completo y detallado tu post @DeniGu, que quede con hambre jajaja, para colmo los mariscos son unos de mis debilidades a la hora de comer y siempre que tengo oportunidad pido este tipo de plato, gracias por compartir.

feliz Año Nuevo, Farid.

Google Moderator

Hahaha, thank you for that great comment, @FaridTDF! 🙂

Which is your favourite fish dish? 

And a happy new year to you, too!

Connect Moderator

Hola @DeniGu, preferentemente me gusta la trucha al rokefort o la centolla con palta o a la parmesana.

Feliz Año Nuevo, Farid.