Xtramoney's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Contributor

4 helpful lighting tips to improve your mobile photography

Last week, @crissibeth and I were invited to Connect Live 2018 to share some of our best photo tips and lead a photo walk through San Francisco. Today, I want to share some helpful tips with all of you. Here are four lighting techniques to keep in mind when you're taking photos with your phone. 

1. Find the light

Light is the most important component of any photo, and natural light is the best. The closer you get to a natural light source, the better.  Some places like restaurants or coffee shops will be dimly lit in the back, but may have some great sunlight if you sit right by a window. Move around until you find the light.   

Caption: A photo of @crissibeth's hand holding up a vegan taco.Caption: A photo of @crissibeth's hand holding up a vegan taco.

For example, I carried this vegan taco out of the Connect Live party to snap this photo in lovely, natural light outdoors.

2. Keep everything still in low light

You won’t always be able to find nice, bright natural light.  If you are taking photos in low light, you should stand still. Like really, really still. Your phone’s camera knows to have a longer “shutter speed” to let in more light, and any movement at all while it is taking the picture will produce blur.  Choose a still subject. Luckily, portraiture is not a big component of Local Guide photography so you don’t have to worry about moving people. Try choosing focal points like architectural details or a latte that you won’t have to worry about moving. Keep the phone still, too. You can remain very still and hold the phone steady -- to a certain point.  Help steady the phone further by bracing it against a door, propping it up on a table, or even purchasing a mini tripod for it. It is so important to be still, you don’t even want to jostle the phone by tapping the screen to take a picture. Set a short timer so nothing at all will move the phone when it’s time to take the shot.

Caption: I took this picture of the trolley stop near our hotel at Connect Live, handheld with a mobile phone--using these tips.Caption: I took this picture of the trolley stop near our hotel at Connect Live, handheld with a mobile phone--using these tips.

3. Don’t use flash

What you shouldn’t do in low light is use your mobile phone’s flash. This seems counter-intuitive, but it’s a good policy if you think about it.  Using a flash in low light is just going to produce a bright burst of light that will provide harsh illumination just a few feet ahead of you, leaving the rest of your photo in darkness.  Use external sources of ambient light, or even use someone else’s phone flashlight to illuminate the subject more naturally.

4. Lock in your focus and exposure

Think about where you want the focus of your shot to be. Tap the mobile phone screen to focus. If you tap on the screen in different places, the focus and exposure will automatically adjust. If you tap, then slide your finger up or down, you can change the exposure to make the photo lighter or darker. In lower light, try sliding your finger up, making the photo lighter. Tap around until you are happy with the focus and exposure, then lock it so it won’t switch before you take your shot.

I'd love to see some of your best low-light shots. Please share them in the comments!

San Francisco, CA, USA
51 comments
Level 8

Re: 4 tips for taking photos on your phone in any kind of light

You're a beast in low light with the Pixel.

Level 10

Thanks for the amazing tips @Xtramoney. You and @crissibeth make such a good team when it comes to mobile photography.

Here's a low-light photo I took of the Golden Gate Bridge with my Samsung S9+:

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-29 at 16.24.38.jpeg

I had to take like 20 photos before I got the perfect shot. I played a bit with ISO, white balance and exposure. I also helped myself with a fence to keep the phone super still! And here is the final result 🙂

Any advice on how to make it better next time?

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Re: 4 helpful lighting tips for taking great photos with your phone

thank you for sharing this, I need improve my pictures, but sometimes I see some relevant information and need take a hidden picture, because the people don't understand what is a local guides.

Connect Moderator

Re: 4 helpful lighting tips to improve your mobile photography

Wow...

I learn every day from legends on Connect...

Thanks for sharing this great tips @Xtramoney

Check out my experimenting shot

Donut at crispy cream shopDonut at crispy cream shop

Thanks

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 3

amazing photo! 

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing this good tips!! @Xtramoney

I bookmarked this and read well later again.

I suggest adding "How-tos" category to this article because this article is very useful for all LGs.

Cheers!

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this useful tips @Xtramoney

Here is some photos in my thread. 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Share-your-Best-Photos-ever-taken-during-Lo...

Your feedback is more useful for improving my photography.  

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 6

Was this shot on a mobile device?

Level 10

Rif.: 4 helpful lighting tips to improve your mobile photography