AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

4 Local Guides making the map more inclusive for the LGTBQ+ community

Caption: An image that shows four portraits of Local Guides who are making the map more inclusive for the LGBTQ+ community.Caption: An image that shows four portraits of Local Guides who are making the map more inclusive for the LGBTQ+ community.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, a moment in history widely considered to be the beginning of the gay rights movement in the United States. Fifty years ago, the Stonewall Inn was one of the few places in New York City where LGBTQ+ people could gather openly. When police raided the bar on June 28, 1969, New Yorkers fought back. Their protest, which lasted for days, sparked a movement for LGBTQ+ rights around the world.

Pride Month occurs in June to commemorate this pivotal moment in history. LGBTQ+ rights have significantly progressed in the half century since the riots, but the community still faces discrimination in places all over the world. That’s why many Local Guides are committed to sharing info about places they know are LGBTQ+ friendly, as well as those that aren’t.

To celebrate Pride Month, we’re featuring Local Guides who aim to make the map more equal for the LGBTQ+ community through their contributions. Read our interviews with them below and be sure to check out our Instagram Stories this month to see amazing photos they’ve shared on Maps.

Samson L.

Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Samson L. wearing an orange shirt and standing in front of an orange door. (Aaron Mckenzie Frazier)Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Samson L. wearing an orange shirt and standing in front of an orange door. (Aaron Mckenzie Frazier)

Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am a local photographer with a passion for storytelling and outdoor adventures. I love dogs, tacos, traveling and thrift shopping.

How do you use Google Maps to make the map more equal for the LGBTQIA community?

I use Google Maps to map out safer spaces for trans and queer people to use washrooms by highlighting and reviewing places that have gender neutral washroom facilities available.

Why is it important to you to use your platform this way?

It's important because there are very few platforms as widely accessible as Google Maps and so many people need access to safer spaces. I love reviewing and including local businesses that make the effort to open their spaces to all gender identities by simply having gender-inclusive washrooms. It's such a small improvement that positively impacts a special minority of people in immeasurable ways. It's invaluable to be seen.

What does Pride mean to you?

That's a complicated question...but I think for me it is community, it's support, it is feeling seen and valued for who we are. It's resisting the gendered boxes on medical forms, it's lobbying Canadian government to cover gender affirming surgeries, it's including queer families in my portfolios, and providing safe experiences for queer couples to get portraits together.

Kim J.

Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Kim J. standing near a blue doorway. (Annie Tritt)Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Kim J. standing near a blue doorway. (Annie Tritt)

I’m a 29-year-old lesbian foodie that loves to travel. And when I say that, I don’t just mean it in the wanderlust Instagram dating profile kind of way. I mean my favorite thing is to go to a random “flyover” town I’ve never been to, stay at a motel, and eat at the local greasy spoon. Don’t get me wrong, I love exotic destinations and bougie eateries as well. But theres something special about walking into a dive in Grand Forks, North Dakota and choking down 15 hot wings to win a T-shirt.

How do you use Google Maps to make the map more equal for the LGBTQIA community? I’m a gender non-conforming woman. I keep my hair short and I wear masculine clothing, from suits, dress shirts and shoes, down to sneakers and streetwear. Outside of a few specialty online stores, my only options are places for men. There’s always some initial discomfort when I go into a men’s store, or shop in the men’s section, or walk into a new barbershop for the first time. When a business is very accommodating, or just generally makes me feel good about being in their “male space,” I make sure to leave a good review.

For two reasons. One, businesses that go out of their way to make me feel comfortable deserve the business bump, but more importantly I want people like me to know that this place is safe, even if it’s not necessarily “for” us.

I think the word “pride” speaks for itself. I’m proud and unashamed of who I am, and I want all of us in the QUILTBAG to live that way.

Briggs S.

Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Briggs S. in front of a purple brick wall. (Daniel Mueller)Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Briggs S. in front of a purple brick wall. (Daniel Mueller)

Tell us a bit about yourself:

My name is Briggs. I'm a crafty, energetic individual who has a keen sense of exploration. Some of my hobbies include playing location-based games such as Ingress and Pokemon Go, hunting for street art, and reading about urban development. I enjoy long walks, Zumba, and hearty meals.

How do you use Google Maps to make the map more equal for the LGBTQIA community?

I write all my reviews based on first-hand experience and the impressions that I have, almost always including the service as well as the overall atmosphere of the place. In Sydney, many businesses include an “LGBT-friendly” or “safe space” sticker in their shopfront and I communicate this by taking a photo of the business which includes the sticker. I also suggest LGBT-friendly descriptions that apply to a place by determining the crowd of the place and in the planning section by checking whether they're a transgender safespace and/or LGBTQ-friendly.

Although I might not come across as LGBTQIA+ at first glance, the way the community is treated at face value will also reflect how I would be treated as well. Google Maps allows for an additional planning option for a night out besides the typical suggestions by friends and can also help others discover new LGBT-friendly spaces as well. Ultimately, I would appreciate having a quiet, peaceful night with my future partner or friends without being prejudiced by the crowd or in rare circumstances, the owner themselves.

Pride to me is appreciating the color of humanity as we do the vivid colours of the world. Like there are naturally-occurring colors in nature and the animal kingdom, Pride is an encouragement to acknowledge that every person in the world is different, as well as realizing and accepting one's own differences. Pride is a celebration of diversity, setting aside our differences and believing that our differences make us stronger.

Santiago P.

Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Santiago P. in front of a green building. (Lauren Randolph)Caption: A portrait photo of Local Guide Santiago P. in front of a green building. (Lauren Randolph)

My name is Santiago and I am 34 years old. Originally from Spain, I have been living in Los Angeles for over a decade. I am a proud immigrant, publicist, creative professional, and yogi. I am the youngest of three siblings, and we lived in different European cities during our childhood. That’s why, in part, I enjoy moving around the world so fearlessly and immersing myself in different situations and scenarios.

I get to travel very often due to my job, so I get to discover interesting places that I love sharing with friends. I do enjoy sharing my point of view with my social circle, and thanks to Local Guides, I get to share my opinion with a global community.

I do not consider myself to be what some describe as a “traditional activist.” I believe that by saying “I am straight” or “I am gay,” we are already differentiating ourselves from the rest. We are already separating people by groups by using different terms.

I remember the day my parents learned I was gay. They did not hear me say, “parents, I am gay.” I directly told them that I had a boyfriend, which obviously implicated I was gay. Before taking this approach, I looked at my sisters, who never went to my parents and said “hey, I am straight.” Why should I be different? Words are extremely powerful, and I deeply consider removing specific terms to be a good, subtle path for equality for all human beings.

I have the same approach with Local Guides. Most of the time, I use pictures of my boyfriend or sometimes I am more direct and mention some places are gay-friendly.

For the gay community, as with any other community, it is extremely important to be respected and tolerated. When I am not in a gay bar, I am always very careful of my surroundings and how people behave towards a gay couple. And I am aware more LGBTQ members feel the same way.

By me reviewing a business as a gay-friendly, I am also encouraging other members of my community to try new businesses so we can break the worlds of “segmentation” across our society. By more gay people being in more “straight oriented” businesses, we are all building new social bridges, which equals to dialogue and, ultimately, acceptance.

Pride to me means a day to celebrate our differences, a day of acceptance and self love. A day reminds us that, no matter where you come from, how much money you have, the color of your skin, or who you love, we are all human beings that deserve love, support, respect, and tolerance.

How are you making the map more inclusive for the LGBTQ+ community? Tell us in the comments below!

36 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 4 Local Guides making the map more inclusive for the LGTBQ+ community

Thank you for this post @AriMar , so important in a moment when inclusion and respect seems to be only empty words, in so many places on our planet.

Well done

Connect Moderator

@AriMar thank you for sharing. I believe it is important to respect the rights of others no matter the situation - age, color, race, etc. Human rights is a universal right. 

Wishing the LGBTQ+ community happy Pride Month 

Googler

I loved reading about these Local Guides (*waves* to @Briggs) and how they contribute information that can really help others. The tips were helpful and I'll keep an eye out for that info, too. 

How do I try to make Maps more inclusive? I always go out of my way to mention when there are universal restrooms, universal clothing options and when an establishment has a rainbow flag symbolizing they are LGBTQ+-friendly. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Former Google Contributor

I loved this read! One of my favorite places in New York is Marie's Crisis which bills itself as a gay bar. Last weekend, the pianist gave a quick history on the place. It's the only gay piano bar in the city that strictly plays Broadway tunes. In his welcome, the pianist joked that although it's been a gay bar for five decades, "We need straight people to make more gay people, so straight people are welcome too," which got the crowd laughing. In my review, I tried to capture that anyone who loves Broadway and live music is welcome at Marie's 🌈🎹 Thanks to all who make the map LGBTQ+-friendly!

Level 9

Amazing post @AriMar !

It has really surprised me and make me think... I have never thought about these kind of LGTBQ+ contributions.

These kind of posts and information open our minds and make us take in consideration many aspects as LGs (and as Human Beings too). And it makes me reaffirm that Google Maps is more than just a tool to add places and photos of foods... We can really help make a more inclusive world with more proactive contributions.

A big hug to these 4 brave Local Guides (Samson, Kim , Briggs and Santiago) who have given us ideas on important aspects to consider in our contributions.

Congratulations to the Local Guides Team for being so innovator !

Greetings from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Former Google Contributor

Many kudos for creating this post and to the interviewed 4 Local Guides!

Just as @ErmesT mentioned accepting the differences in many places of the world is still just talks. I hope this will change. I believe that more than ever people need to unite and accept all the colors and live for the better of humanity. I love the saying "make love, not war", maybe if we create more "bridges" than conflicts, we would change for the better.

Thanks once more time for the great stories, Samson, Kim, Briggs and Santiago!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Bls: 4 Local Guides making the map more inclusive for the LGTBQ+ community

wow that;s awesome thanks @AriMar  i like this stories

berbagi tidak akan membuat ilmu kamu habis melainkan satu ilmu lama yang kamu bagi satu ilmu baru bertambah terhadap dirimu.
Level 9

@AriMar 

Wonder full post, thank you for sharing, appreciate you all, keep rocking, doesn't matter, we all are humans. 

Lenin
Connect Moderator

Thank you very much @AriMar for this nice post and for sharing those 4 nice stories with us.

Kudos to those 4 LG's. We aim to reach the most advanced and technologic future but we still lack at the origins, when talking about Humans. Humans which means everybody of us who lives this world, no matter of anything, culture, race, skin color, sexual preferences and anything else which might be used to make a "difference".

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂