Andréas_S_Eriksson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

360-degree pictures to be added to Maps?

I am just about to start shooting 360-degree pictures via Google Street View and I am wondering how or if it is possible that what I shoot will be added to Google Maps. For example if I shoot a tour through a mall or a walking path that have not been covered by Google Street View car, will that be "lifted" and added to the regular Google maps or is it only available through Street View-app?

Andréas S. Eriksson
Sverige
5 comments
Level 8

Re: 360-degree pictures to be added to Maps?

Hi @Andréas_S_Eriksson.

As far as know, after taking street view photos of a mall or any other business shop, when uploading in Street View, you have select 'pick a map listings' then search and select that place name which is named in maps and then upload. After sometime, it will be available in Google Maps too. I have added 360s of shops and created virtual tour in Street View which is available in Google Maps too. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any doubts. Thanks. 

Vellore Local Guides
Level 9

Hi @SalmaanN
Thank you for your answer. I will get started as soon as possible them. 😃

Andréas S. Eriksson
Connect Moderator

Hi @Andréas_S_Eriksson

Any Local Guide can use a 360 device from the supported camera list https://www.google.com/streetview/publish/ to create single 360 images and tours via the Street View App. Contributions supplement 360 images already present rather than replace them. If the first 360 is a generic Street View image you can request yours replace that one via feedback in the Maps App.

Local Guides of level 6 and higher who have a camera that supports the Street View App Video Mode can make the blue trails of Street View for any street or path that does not already exist. Contributing over the top of existing blue trails will be rejected. Video mode is very recent and is still undergoing development and evolves at a fast pace. Currently the best support is likely for the Richo Theta V with the SV App. Make sure you've got the latest Theta firmware and Street View App versions. It is possible to use other cameras with varying degrees of success. I posted a tutorial about this that you might find interesting/useful.

Regards Paul

Level 9

Thank you @PaulPavlinovich for your answer.
I bought a LG 360-degree camera a year ago and I think that one was on the list of compatible cameras then. Maybe I have to get a Richo then.

Andréas S. Eriksson
Connect Moderator

Give your existing camera a try @Andréas_S_Eriksson there are a few that do work that are not on the list so I'd certainly give it a try before investing in a new one. Report back here so other owners of the LG 360 will know too.